Iain

Netduma Iain

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

So I'm CTO at Netduma, although that title is a bit grandiose/ridiculous haha.

I've loved gaming since I can remember. Started off with apogee, id, lucasarts, nintendo. There are so many games that I love that any list will be incomplete. But I'd go with the classics:

Wolf 3d, doom, monkey island series, indian jones series, Indiana jones & infernal machine (3d version), Zelda Ocarina of time N64, super mario kart, Quake 3, Halo 2 & 3, Duke Nukem 3d, Warcraft 2, Red Baron, Enemy Territory. 

Started coding when I was 8 because I loved games so much. Started taking it seriously at 12 when I learnt C++. Went to Uni & got sick of my housemates making me lag on Halo 3!!!!! So changed direction of PhD to research network congestion. Then spent few years skint working 16 hour days to write the Duma. I'm not looking for sympathy, I absolutely loved it! I enjoy coding more than anything. The buzz you get when you solve a difficult problem & then bring it to reality is like no other in my opinion.

In terms of development about a year was wasted as I wrote a OS for routers called rose that we didn't end up using because in terms of security it hasn't been tested anywhere near as well as Linux which has 20+ years & billions of devices worth of testing. 

Outside of coding & gaming I'm like standard Brit in their 20s. Like to go out drinking with mates and take the piss out each other relentless.

Essay over. 

Phd....dammmmmm... I knew you were smart but wow....Brilliant mate...The community is very fortunate to have such a person on their team... Out of all the router I purchased in the years (10 I bought), I never enjoyed the customer support as I enjoy Netduma forrum.. I guess because your guys come from gaming and know what game is suppose to play like, this is were the fun factor me is. I dont even like to write in forums but this is like my second home. lol... Thank you guys.. You arrived at the right time...right moment...cheer from boston.

• Administrators

Phd....dammmmmm... I knew you were smart but wow.

So smart the Uni told him he didn't need to do a Masters before beginning his PhD. They let him go straight into it after graduating. Kind of like being moved up a year in school, but at university.

(Iain's too humble to brag so I'll do it for him!)

• Administrators

Is there a doctor in the house? Why yes there is :)

We're all benefiting from Iain's expertise. Great stuff

It's not really something we've advertised yet, but the technology that is running in the background to achieve things like the Geo-filter is pretty crazy. To quote Iain 'the maths involved almost broke my brain'.

Mind you for Iain so does changing a lightbulb... 

I remember when I first got my R1 thinking this is some impressive coding with some real technical skill behind it. I can only imagine the brain strain that went into it.

Lucky Iain can still walk in a straight line after all that exertion :P

It is game changing what the Netduma has done, pun intended :)

I have always looked for the perfect setup that great router it was a waste of time until now.

Endgame as we call it in the head-fi world (found the perfect headphone), found our perfect paradise in the best designed software for all gamers full stop :)

Then spent few years skint working 16 hour days to write the Duma.

now i appreciate my R1 even more, and i need to tell you your hard work for years was definitely worth it :)

I'm not looking for sympathy

the way you, Luke or any other Duma guy is interacting with the community makes it hard to not have sympathy for you guys :)

Nice little bio Iain,it's nice to have a little insight into the members here and even cooler to have the staff contribute themselves.

Keep up the hard work brother,your just gonna keep going up

• Administrators

haha I'm getting way too much credit in this thread 

Thanks for motivational comments it really does mean a lot also I'm glad you can see the passion. The change from this time last year is absolutely amazing. I actually haven't had time to take a step back and realise how far we've come. Anyway enough with sentimental stuff, just like to say thanks again!

It is like when windows 95 came out that changed the way we used computers , when the technics 1200 was launched it changed how dj'sj mixed music.

When i bought my first premium headphones and i could hear foot's tapping on the recording room floor, their fingers hitting the strings, every little detail.

Now the Netduma is like this for gamers. I am not sure you fully understand what this has done for us all.

Thats why we say the things we do, Thank you :)

Archived