NetDumaR1/ Power-line Adaptor Compatibility

DCole822

I've got a few questions that I need clearing up. Not overly technical, so hopefully someone here can help. 

I guess the main question is... (clues in the topic title) 

- Can the NetDumaR1 be used with a Powerline Adapter? 

Also, here's a bit of background on how I have it set up currently and then how I hope to have it set up with the NetDuma if its possible? 

My router is downstairs plugged into a one half on powerline adapter (downstairs) and then I have my Xbox and PS4 plugged into the other half the powerline adapter in my bedroom. Connection is fairly decent most the time, so the powerline adapter seems to have solved my connection issue. 

What I plan to do now is...

Unplug my Xbox and PS4 from the powerline adapter, buy a NetDuma, plug the NetDuma into the the powerline adapter and the use the network points on the NetDuma for my PS4 and Xbox. In theory I can see it working but just wanted to get some advice on here. 

If anything I plan to do redundant or just wont work then that's fair enough but i just want to get the most our the tools i have available to me (and already paid for) 

I have used power line plugs for several years now and have just recently been having a nightmare with connections.

After running pingplotter for several days I was having massive ping spikes up to and above 2000 MS and dropping packets about every 30 seconds.

This was on 5 different servers.

I plugged my PC directly into the R1 on a 10M ethernet Cat6 cable and the problem vanished instantly.

If possible I would try a test and run pingplotter for at least 24 hours through a pc/laptop connected to the power line plug upstairs to see if you will be dropping packets or getting ping spikes.

Seriously it will save you a world of pain either way.

Packet drops have pretty much disappeared and I have not had a ping spike over 20 MS since removing the power line plugs from the equation.

Thanks dude. I'll give that a try first then. 

Good to know that the R1 will work through the powerline adapter (subject to the above issues) 

I'd would do the same with the the 10m cable, directly into the R1 but the cable would have to run around the lounge to the stairs, up the stairs and then around the landed to the bedroom. But with 2 puppies and a mum with an attitude problem, it just isn't practical lol. 

Thanks again. 

I hear you loud and clear, I am in a position that I just punched a hole through the floor and fed the cable through then tidies it all up with some cable trunking and a few ties.

Just ask if you can try it for a night, like 20.00 hours till when you get up in the morning to see if you get any problems.

Running a cable I mean not punching a hole through lol.

Thanks dude. I'll give that a try first then. 

Good to know that the R1 will work through the powerline adapter (subject to the above issues) 

I'd would do the same with the the 10m cable, directly into the R1 but the cable would have to run around the lounge to the stairs, up the stairs and then around the landed to the bedroom. But with 2 puppies and a mum with an attitude problem, it just isn't practical lol. 

Thanks again. 

Been there before, and it got to the point that I would turn the wifi off so nobody could use it (claimed it didn't reach that far in the house) so I could run an ethernet upstairs and install an access point... If you try to convince them enough you'll get the job done lol

As for the powerline adapter, it really depends on the wiring in your house. Some people have no issues, others have tons of problems.

Been there before, and it got to the point that I would turn the wifi off so nobody could use it (claimed it didn't reach that far in the house) so I could run an ethernet upstairs and install an access point... If you try to convince them enough you'll get the job done lol

I did that too a while back  :P

Powerlines work best when they are straight into the wall, rather than through a trailing socket (extension) I believe - it was halving my speed through a extension lead

I've got a few questions that I need clearing up. Not overly technical, so hopefully someone here can help. 

I guess the main question is... (clues in the topic title) 

- Can the NetDumaR1 be used with a Powerline Adapter? 

Also, here's a bit of background on how I have it set up currently and then how I hope to have it set up with the NetDuma if its possible? 

My router is downstairs plugged into a one half on powerline adapter (downstairs) and then I have my Xbox and PS4 plugged into the other half the powerline adapter in my bedroom. Connection is fairly decent most the time, so the powerline adapter seems to have solved my connection issue. 

What I plan to do now is...

Unplug my Xbox and PS4 from the powerline adapter, buy a NetDuma, plug the NetDuma into the the powerline adapter and the use the network points on the NetDuma for my PS4 and Xbox. In theory I can see it working but just wanted to get some advice on here. 

If anything I plan to do redundant or just wont work then that's fair enough but i just want to get the most our the tools i have available to me (and already paid for) 

What I have as my current setup is my ps4 hooked up over powerline and my duma hooked up where my internet line comes in. This is a prime setup for me rather than putting the duma on the the powerline and having your console or pc connected locally. For me it make sense in my mind because it's not trying to draw the internet from outside, into the house, then over the power line, then to your console or pc.

Archived