BLOPS III & MTU

Omega

I know this question does not have to do with MTU but I am on Comcast and they do provide IPv6 capabilities. Do you recommend using it or sticking with IPv4 only? Since everyone is saying disable it I have and really can't see a difference. Also I have my MTU set to 1480.

I think the negative effects of being too high and defragging out weigh the negatives of being to low. Some host wont be the highest mtu. Might as well find the one size fits most setting and go with it. Im curious as to what percentage of us actually have an optimal setting of 1472 or above to the first router outside our homes. Again im no expert, best solution in my thinking is for iian to program a feature to match host mtu on the fly. That way your optimized to host and you go together like peas and carrots. My thoughts could be way off but thats my limited understanding.

Example. My optimal per standard test is 1500. If bucknas is my host, theres going to be some hiccups.

I think the negative effects of being too high and defragging out weigh the negatives of being to low. Some host wont be the highest mtu. Might as well find the one size fits most setting and go with it. Im curious as to what percentage of us actually have an optimal setting of 1472 or above to the first router outside our homes. Again im no expert, best solution in my thinking is for iian to program a feature to match host mtu on the fly. That way your optimized to host and you go together like peas and carrots. My thoughts could be way off but thats my limited understanding.

Example. My optimal per standard test is 1500. If bucknas is my host, theres going to be some hiccups.

Good idea but doubt it could happen, for the MTU setting I think you need to reboot the router.

I keep reading more and more on mtu. Everything i read says for best performance of a pc network all systems should be the same mtu. For us that would mean for our mtu to match host. Impossible now unless iian can code it to match on the fly. If it is even beneficial Another thing is i havent been considering The additional 8 bytes for mpls.

I keep reading more and more on mtu. Everything i read says for best performance of a pc network all systems should be the same mtu. For us that would mean for our mtu to match host. Impossible now unless iian can code it to match on the fly. If it is even beneficial Another thing is i havent been considering The additional 8 bytes for mpls.

what does this mean The additional 8 bytes for mpls.

so are you saying instead of ading 28 header  add 8 instead

I lowered my MTU to 1492 in my Ps4 and my Duma(Wan and Lan) , and I played blackops3 , only the first 2 or 3 games had awesome connection I felt like The Mark of J lol , every bullet hit, the aim assist was great , then after those games back to regular ol laggy games ,I wonder why? I will do more testing with MTU...

I lowered my MTU to 1492 in my Ps4 and my Duma(Wan and Lan) , and I played blackops3 , only the first 2 or 3 games had awesome connection I felt like The Mark of J lol , every bullet hit, the aim assist was great , then after those games back to regular ol laggy games ,I wonder why? I will do more testing with MTU...

You're chasing the mythical unicorn my friend.IMO unless your MTU is set to a ridiculous setting either way your gonna see the same results...some games good,some games bad.

You're chasing the mythical unicorn my friend.IMO unless your MTU is set to a ridiculous setting either way your gonna see the same results...some games good,some games bad.

lmao....so true all these peeps coming out with alleged fixes, i can almost certainly guarantee all the problems lie entirely with treyarch connectivity settings, nowt you can do i'm afraid.

roll of the dice whether each game, will it be good or bad who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have made an interesting find that when lowering your mtu in this game, even a marginal change goes a long way. I remember trying this back in the BLOPS II days with mixed results.  However, when lowering my mtu from the default 1500 to the XBL minimum of 1384 it has been night and day. I thought it was a placebo effect, so I went ahead and pushed it back up to 1500. Same old nonsense getting oneshotted across map with guns I know have no business killing that fast from that range. So, I dropped it back down to 1384 and the problems once again subsided. Now, I don't want to make it seem like this is a cure all. You will still get occasional lag as their servers are overloaded and most likely not the highest quality in the first place. However, for someone like myself who rushes constantly, I can tell the difference. I went 21-0 my first game after changing it and 35-4 the second. Please look into this people as it may too help you. More importantly, and the reason I came here, Duma team, would you be able to provide insight as to why this is occurring.

how do you switch the mtu on xbox one? Or change the mtu on the netduma?

my $.02 is to leave your MTU settings to the automated algorithms.  Given the efficiency of packet switched networks your MTU really isn't going to affect that much anyways out on the internet wire.  If it is really helping that much in your experiences than maybe there is a problem on your internal network as others have suggested.  

If your hardwired, maybe a failing port? Another device in line between your xbox and the internet?  solar flares :D

If any of you are canaries you may understand this post better but for BO3 I use 1407 + 28 = 1435 MTU which I manually placed in my Netduma's Settings > LAN & WAN. I did the same for PS4 but the XB1 doesn't need manual input...

Archived