Black Ops 3: NAT

Netduma Fraser

• Administrators

Hey everyone, 

I wanted to address this NAT issue that multiple people are having.

We may be blocking a NAT server which is responsible for checking your NAT type on the game. If you remember, this was the case on AW. The simple way to fix this is to disable your Geo-filter when you boot up the game.

That way the Netduma then behaves like a normal router, in fact it's much better as our UPnP server is very good. If it works then fantastic, it is just a false reading and you can enable and play without issue. 

If after disabling the Geo-filter the issue is still occurring but you have an open NAT on your console and other games then this is an inherent problem with the game itself. Remember the game is still in it's infancy and also had these issues in the beta. If this is happening to you then try rebooting the router and disable the Geo-filter, if it is still not open then you can post a picture of your "Settings > UPnP" page here to check the correct ports are open. If they are then this is definitely an issue with the game. 

Don't worry worst case scenario we can show you how to manually port forward, it's not that difficult but let's just confirm whether the game does indeed have a faulty UPnP client.

Thank you.

P.S. Any threads relating to this we will close and refer here so we can collect all in one place.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shall try this tonight. Thanks for the awesome support as always.

My one question though, is how do we deal with two consoles and opening ports on both manually? I got an error that there was already a rule when I tried to do it for both IP's.

• Administrators

My one question though, is how do we deal with two consoles and opening ports on both manually? I got an error that there was already a rule when I tried to do it for both IP's.

The reason you need NAT is because you only have 1 internet IP address but you have multiple devices on your LAN. So NAT does fancy tricks to make all those devices appear as 1 computer. NAT in nearly all scenarios is transparent, you can't tell it is happening which is great. 

The only time NAT is visible is when the first packet for an application comes from the WAN side first instead of LAN which is far more typical. When that packet arrives it has no idea which device to send it to. So this is where port forwarding comes in, if the packet is destined for a particular port the port forwarding table tells it which individual device to forward the packet to.

Obviously you can't have 2 devices port forwarded because then you're back at the same problem, which device would get it?

The way to get multiple consoles to get open NAT is usually through UPnP. It simply automates the port forwarding process so the game can dictate to the router which ports to open. In the case of the multiple consoles the second console would open a higher number port.

So what you should do if you have multiple consoles is delete all port forwarding and let UPnP do the work. If you have UPnP and Geo-filter disabled and it's still not open. Unfortunately that is a game issue and we're not able to help you. I realise that is frustrating, I hope this explanation at least helps you understand the reason why. We're not trying to pass the buck. 

If you're behind another router make sure it has no port forwarding rules and the R1 is put in its DMZ.

Same here. I don't have an issue with NAT: Strict/Moderate. It's been open from the start, it's when I added the same brand console (PS4) is when the second console logs onto BO3 then that said console NAT becomes strict/moderate. A reboot will fluctuate between strict or moderate settings.

If I'm playing on an Xbox and PS4 simultaneously , both NAT's are open.

I had to manually open port 3074 UDP on PS4 to get the open NAT type.. friends on xbox1 are opening 3075 and been working for them..and read online if 3075 doesn't work for xbox try 3076-3085...

I added port 3074 back when the beta was out and it opened then for me, and has been open ever since

• Administrators

Same here. I don't have an issue with NAT: Strict/Moderate. It's been open from the start, it's when I added the same brand console (PS4) is when the second consols logs onto BO3 then that said console NAT becomes strict/moderate. A reboot will fluctuate between strict or moderate settings.

Please see my post above yours that I just posted as it's the same issue I believe.

Please see my post above yours that I just posted as it's the same issue I believe.

Got it. I DID NOT have any port forwarding rules set in place, the only thing I did have was the UPnP ticked. I did not have my geo filter disabled to test the theory if both consoles NAT would become open with geo filter disabled. Hopefully someone will post soon as I'm currently at work. LOL!

Another thing, what if you just port forward one of the consoles, would that open the NAT when both consoles are playing together? If yes, what's the steps on how to do this using the R1 as the main router.

I had the mod NAT problem in the beta and a quick port forwarding sorted that out, I do not have PF enabled in the full release but I have an open NAT this time round, so they have changed something.

I can't remember, is there a way to have to ps4s or xb1s with open nats while playing the same game?  i have an open nat when playing alone in my house but not when someone else is also playing too

Since Black Ops 3 was released I have never been so angry trying to play a game with a party. My wife and I both have an Xbox One, my sister and her husband the same setup at their house. We all were looking forward to playing the game, Friday night it took 2 hours until we could all get in a lobby together, Saturday night, similar time, Sunday and tonight the same. How can "next gen" in the 21st century so frustratingly hard to do a simple things like play a game with your friends?

I bought the Netduma mainly hoping it would eradicate the NAT issues, it has to a certain extent but rarely do we switch our Xbox's on and find they both have an open NAT despite trying EVERYTHING ever suggested for two Xbox's. There is still a load of reboots of routers and Xbox's so on.

I made my sister buy one too...it all seems a bit of waste of money at the moment, the Xbox, the game and the Netduma!

The reason you need NAT is because you only have 1 internet IP address but you have multiple devices on your LAN. So NAT does fancy tricks to make all those devices appear as 1 computer. NAT in nearly all scenarios is transparent, you can't tell it is happening which is great.

The only time NAT is visible is when the first packet for an application comes from the WAN side first instead of LAN which is far more typical. When that packet arrives it has no idea which device to send it to. So this is where port forwarding comes in, if the packet is destined for a particular port the port forwarding table tells it which individual device to forward the packet to.

Obviously you can't have 2 devices port forwarded because then you're back at the same problem, which device would get it?

The way to get multiple consoles to get open NAT is usually through UPnP. It simply automates the port forwarding process so the game can dictate to the router which ports to open. In the case of the multiple consoles the second console would open a higher number port.

So what you should do if you have multiple consoles is delete all port forwarding and let UPnP do the work. If you have UPnP and Geo-filter disabled and it's still not open. Unfortunately that is a game issue and we're not able to help you. I realise that is frustrating, I hope this explanation at least helps you understand the reason why. We're not trying to pass the buck.

If you're behind another router make sure it has no port forwarding rules and the R1 is put in its DMZ.

I'm not using another router - thankfully.

I'm pretty sure your explanations cover what I'm seeing - as I said, never had an issue with both consoles on my network in the other games my step son and I have played together.

I guess to an extent it's the game, the rest is just a geo off, reboot dance.

Thanks again for the help!

I have a NAT type moderate with the R1. In BO3 the network page says "The game tried to use UDP port 3074 to open the required port for open NAT in-game."

I already had the port opened on the R1. I deleted it and reentered it. restarted everything and no luck. I have never had this issue with my PS4 or any other games before.

I can only get one console at a time Open NAT, with or without geo-filter enabled. The first console that connects gets port 3074/UDP opened via UPnP, subsequent consoles get ports opened as well but the game marks them as Moderate NAT. Hard to say whether it's really Moderate or just being reported as Moderate. I've sent a message to Activision support to try to get an answer.

G'day guys,

I have the problem with 2 ps4's 1 is moderate and 1 is open. I have tried the above soulutions with no luck. below is a pic of my UPnP. I hhave also turned off my port forwarding on my main modem/router. Any help will be appreciated.post-4055-0-53740400-1447150992_thumb.png

It's defiantly an issue with the game I think.

We have 4 consoles and have never had a single problem getting an open NAT until BO3.

The game itself states on the network page that it has tried to open port 3075 to achieve an open NAT

The UPnP on the Duma shows that port 3075 is open yet the game reports a moderate NAT.

I've noticed the 3075 in UPnP is forwarding to the IP of my second Xbox that is Open in both game and the dash. My main Xbox is moderate in game, is it because the port (3075) cannot be forward to two IP's?

Yes and no.

Let's quell some misinformation.

The port used by Call of Duty is the UDP port 3074. If you have one console in your house sharing your Netduma, you can either use UPnP to dynamically open this port for you, or you can assign a static IP to your console and forward this port to your console. 

If the game senses that it can't communicate on port 3074, like if you have it statically forwarded and your console's IP changes, or if you have multiple consoles, the game will try to communicate on another port. With UPnP this port is pseudo random, not necessarily 3075. 

Now there are 2 distinct problems here:

#1 -- You have one console sharing your Netduma and you can't get Open NAT. Either you have a bad static port mapping, your console's UPnP is disabled or something else is going wrong.

#2 -- You have multiple consoles sharing your Netduma, one can get Open NAT and the other(s) are Moderate. This seems to be a bug with Black Ops 3 either not registering that a port was properly opened and falling back to Moderate NAT or it's really Open but DISPLAYING as Moderate.

If you fall into camp #1 we can help get you squared away. If you fall into camp #2, we need to start raising visibility on this with Treyarch and Activision. There's little the Netduma boys can do about it for us.

But to answer your question, whichever console connects to Black Ops 3 first is going to get Open NAT. Try shutting down both consoles, rebooting your Netduma and then launching Black Ops 3 on your main console. You should have Open NAT on the main console and Moderate NAT on the second console.

How do I manually add a port on the netduma router? Thanks in advance.

Settings -> Port Forwarding

The fields:

* Rule Name -- a name to tell you what the rule is for

* Start Port -- the port you want to forward, 3074, etc.

* End Port -- if you want to forward multiple ports, this is the last port in the sequence. For example: Start Port: 3074, End Port: 3085 

* Protocol -- Change this to UDP

* IP Address -- the IP of your console. Make sure your console has a static IP assigned so it will not change

port_forwarding.png

Please people I desperately need help. I have a moderate Nat type. I have tried port forwarding and enabling unp. It work for a while and now it won't even work at all. When I connect my ps4 to my Verizon router the Nat type will be open but when I connect back to netduma router the Nat type will be moderate. Please please help, croosy , Ian or anyone. Please help. Thank you