Black Ops 3: NAT

Netduma Fraser

• Administrators

Things were already confusing running a Comcast modem and an Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router.. NOW I've added the Netduma R1 to the mix and its just a mud bath. My Xbox One NAT now reads "Moderate" and I cannot connect to a private party due to network issues. I tried making some adjustments on the Netduma and Comcast router but now I feel like I'm on spin cycle in a hedge maze. I've lost my direction and probably messed some settings up along the way. A little help please..

Hardwired in:

Wall  >

Modem: Xfinity - Dual - Band WiFi 802.11ac >

Netduma R1 >

Apple AirPort Extreme / Xbox One 

*Each device has it's own settings!! Very confusing...  :huh:

For your NAT follow this

For the private party you'll need to add them to your allow list

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE!

I got myself lost in all of the setting between the Netduma and my Xfinity modem. I ended up screwing with all sorts of settings and had to backtrack. I was also convinced I needed to set up a static IP, so thank you Crossy! I went back to the links and followed them step by step and turns out I needed to set up the DMZ.

NAT now reads OPEN.

I was initially having "lobby not joinable" problem but seems to be fine now. I'll report back if any other problems arise. 

THANKS for all your help!

Just to bump this thread, I have managed to obtain and maintain an open NAT type with a Netgear NightHawk X4 r7500v2 router just before adding the Netduma R1 into my network.  Now I run the Nighthawk in AP mode to provide better overall coverage for wireless devices in my home, however, I can't get dual open NAT types on two Xbox One consoles anymore.  Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is this something developers are/will be looking into?

• Administrators

Just to bump this thread, I have managed to obtain and maintain an open NAT type with a Netgear NightHawk X4 r7500v2 router just before adding the Netduma R1 into my network.  Now I run the Nighthawk in AP mode to provide better overall coverage for wireless devices in my home, however, I can't get dual open NAT types on two Xbox One consoles anymore.  Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is this something developers are/will be looking into?

I will reply to your thread now :)

• 4 weeks later...

For the best connection quality when playing Call of Duty games online you should set up port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your console or your PC via port 3074 User Datagram Protocol ( UDP ) and Transmission Control Protocol ( TCP ) .

If more than one console or PC is used in your home network to play , you can forward the second console or the PC with port 3075 UDP / TCP , a third console / PC with port 3076 etc.

For the best connection quality when playing Call of Duty games online you should set up port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your console or your PC via port 3074 User Datagram Protocol ( UDP ) and Transmission Control Protocol ( TCP ) .

If more than one console or PC is used in your home network to play , you can forward the second console or the PC with port 3075 UDP / TCP , a third console / PC with port 3076 etc.

Or you could let them duma handle the port forwarding as it does a great job

Yeah, something is most definitely broken. Treyarch and Activision are doing dick about it. And it's definitely not a false reading, one console gets Open NAT the other gets Moderate. It's not just a false reading like Fraser said before. I can't play BLOPS3 with my wife, one of us does great and whichever is the unlucky one to get Moderate is miserable. The difference is VERY tangible. 

Yeah, something is most definitely broken. Treyarch and Activision are doing dick about it. And it's definitely not a false reading, one console gets Open NAT the other gets Moderate. It's not just a false reading like Fraser said before. I can't play BLOPS3 with my wife, one of us does great and whichever is the unlucky one to get Moderate is miserable. The difference is VERY tangible. 

I get that, my xb1 and my sons, annoying.

This holds true for me too. Two Xbox One's and only one of us get an open NAT type. The other has to suffer. I could get both consoles an open NAT when they were both connected to a Netgear Nighthawk R7500 v2 using UPnP, but the geofilter and congestion control were more important for us. Unsure exactly where fault lies with this scenario.

I had this same headache with Ghosts and with AW. With Ghosts I had my Linux box as a firewall, added some extra debugging to the UPnP daemon's code and emailed the output to Infinityward to show them that their UPnP handling for multiple consoles was broken, and they ended up fixing it a few patches later. If I remember right, if UPnP didn't give them a port they expected like 3074/UDP they wouldn't request a different port they would just assume that UPnP was broken or something. My money is on something similar happening

Here is the problem, and I'll use examples.

1. BLOPS3 ignores static port forwardings and uses UPnP anyways. 

2. Netduma allows UPnP requests to ports already manually forwarded

3. Netduma also allows multiple apps to request the same port (!?)

As you can see, I have 3074/UDP forwarded to 192.168.1.10 (My PS4). I have 3075/UDP forwarded to 192.168.1.12 (My wife's PS4). This is what their documentation says to do to support multiple consoles. 

The next image with a bunch of different UPnP forwards shows multiple DemonWare port mappings (BO3) including multiple forwardings of 3074/UDP to multiple IPs AND that's with 3074/UDP already manually forwarded.

So I disabled UPnP and re-enabled UPnP to flush those mappings, and re-applied the static port forwardings. BO3 STILL used UPnP to forward the ports, but at least this time it forwarded different ports. 3074/UDP still, even though it was already statically mapped and 3078/UDP -> 3074/UDP for the other.

In all cases only the one that got 3074/UDP got Open NAT, the other got Moderate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji5xo6c2sxpgn6x/pfstatic.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqkfrxay56ulye2/upnp1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/temf8i79kybr04c/upnp2.png?dl=0

If you have uPnP enabled and you have more than one say BO3 game console connecting to the router, say 3 game consoles, uPnP should pick 3074 for the first console that connected then uPnP should be picking up a virtual port for the next two consoles, unless specified by using a port foward rules for each console, then uPnP should be disabled. I think this should work this way.

And the rubics cube that is "Dual Console CoD:BO3 NAT Type" continues twisting. If anyone figures this out with a Netduma, there will be so much appreciation... Time to start researching how Netgear makes it happen with their Nighthawk. It has to be something trivial in their UPnP...

You might try to set up a port forwarding rule for each console, set one for 3074 and the other to 3075. Disable uPnP on the R1. Set up a Reservation IP for each xbox. Do the XB1 reset using both triggers and bumper buttons. Turn OFF both consoles. Ensure the R1 settings are set up well the reboot the R1. Turn on 1 console and check NAT status. Turn on the next one and check NAT status there. You might turn off both then reverse turning on the other console first to see if the behavior keeps or tracks.

On a non R1 router I have, I used to set QoS up for 1-65535 for ports and point that to the IP address range for the consoles, i.e. 192.168.#.198 and .199 which were reserved for both consoles. uPnP would just handle the ports needed as each console was turned on. Worked like a charm there. Not sure if R1s FW allows for this kind of configuration though.

And the rubics cube that is "Dual Console CoD:BO3 NAT Type" continues twisting. If anyone figures this out with a Netduma, there will be so much appreciation... Time to start researching how Netgear makes it happen with their Nighthawk. It has to be something trivial in their UPnP...

Great idea. And definitely the concept works from a logical standpoint, but those two ports pull different loads if I'm not mistaken... One is Teredo (Xbox party/chat/p2p) and the other is Daemonware (The Black Ops/Activision port mapping middleman). If everyone is getting the same outcome when manually port forwarding the R1, they've attempted using the alternate ports listed from Activision (3076,3077,etc,etc) or whatever alternate ports are open using UPnP, but in the end it always renders open NAT types for the consoles themselves in the network settings, while CoD:BO3 is reporting one as "Open" and the other "Moderate". There is a lack of Daemonware port mapping support somewhere. I just can't see under the hood to find it.

Seen same issue with XB settings reporting OPEN NAT and BO3 reporting Moderate. We believe it's a BO3 issue and nothing to do with router settings in most cases.  I recommend doing a factory reset and also doing a console reset as well on all consoles to see. Ensure consoles are LAN wired to the router.

You might try to set up a port forwarding rule for each console, set one for 3074 and the other to 3075. Disable uPnP on the R1. Set up a Reservation IP for each xbox. Do the XB1 reset using both triggers and bumper buttons. Turn OFF both consoles. Ensure the R1 settings are set up well the reboot the R1. Turn on 1 console and check NAT status. Turn on the next one and check NAT status there. You might turn off both then reverse turning on the other console first to see if the behavior keeps or tracks.

On a non R1 router I have, I used to set QoS up for 1-65535 for ports and point that to the IP address range for the consoles, i.e. 192.168.#.198 and .199 which were reserved for both consoles. uPnP would just handle the ports needed as each console was turned on. Worked like a charm there. Not sure if R1s FW allows for this kind of configuration though.

I can confirm that for BLOPS3 this does not work, despite their documentation saying that it does. See my earlier post, with pretty pictures.