Netduma Randomly Restricts My Broadband

The router randomly restricts my broadband at home. The broadband status is fine and my isp modem works fine, so the problem must be with my Netduma R1. I am wondering if it's a bandwidth problem or if I have to alter my settings at all? Or could it be a minor fault with the hardware that causes it to do this? I love the Netduma package, but only when it works, and when it doesn't I have the whole house moaning to me about it!

• Netduma Staff

If I set the upload and download cap to 75%, should I have to move them after my gaming session? Surely if 'Share Excess' is ticked 100% of both is available regardless? Or am I misunderstanding this function?

To get the full speeds back you need to move them back afterwards :) The 'Share Excess' part only applies to the device prioritisation, not the bandwidth capping.

Yebs on the top of what Crossy sad I would only add that Device Prioritization apply only to upload speeds. So there for setting the sliders back to 100 its a must to keep the house happy as I am guessing the usually use more download.

If I set the upload and download cap to 75%, should I have to move them after my gaming session? Surely if 'Share Excess' is ticked 100% of both is available regardless? Or am I misunderstanding this function?

Hey Pezza,  The congestion control sliders reduce your bandwith to the percentage you slide them to.  This keeps your router from getting flooded and introducing lag from your home equipment.  It's important to set your up/down bandwith correctly because that is what the R1 uses to determine what the flood levels are.  This reduction in capacity along with the R1's prioritization keeps your console's packets at the front of the router line, and also keeps everything on your network from extending beyond your actual bandwidth.  That's how I understand it anyway.  Hopefully one of the admins will chime in if I'm steering your the wrong way

Thanks to all for increasing my understanding of these functions. I am however still experiencing the same minor issue of random connectivity drops with the router, even after applying the firmware update and bumping the sliders back to 100%, this time with as little as 3 devices hooked up to it (2 wired and 1 wireless).

• Netduma Staff

Thanks to all for increasing my understanding of these functions. I am however still experiencing the same minor issue of random connectivity drops with the router, even after applying the firmware update and bumping the sliders back to 100%, this time with as little as 3 devices hooked up to it (2 wired and 1 wireless).

Try disabling Wifi workaround from Settings >> Miscellaneous :)

• Administrators

Could you run ping plotter for awhile so we can see how often it occurs please.

Sorry. Don't mean to hijack the post but what exactly does wifi workaround do? And if you have wifi enabled should it be enabled by default?

It rescans the wifi every so often which fixes the disconnects for some devices such as iPhones, it depends if you experience and wifi dropouts, I'd leave it on its default and if needed turn it off/on

• 2 weeks later...

What do I do with this once I stop the plotter? I have no idea what to look for. I have had the issue tonight. I can run skype on 3 devices whilst playing PS4, yet the minute I try to run smart tv streaming features with my PS4 running, the smart TV complains that it can't even find the network, and my Ipad gets the boot also.

1446037753-U4454.png

This was with only my computer wired to the router and the the router wired to the sky hub, nothing else connected, neither wired nor wireless. I use a powerline adapter to connect the router to the Sky Hub.

There is one other thing. When I disconnect the wired connection between my router and PC, the PC (nor any other device when the router is altered) never reconnects when I have it set to connect automatically to the router wirelessly.

Done it a 3rd time with the router connected straight to the sky hub, and no red bar, but the last few minutes I was completely unable to stream a radio station and then Youtube wouldn.t play anything. Both web pages would load, just nothing would play, which I thought was a bit weird.

1446040293-U4454.png

I would keep testing over a longer period without the PLA

Make sure there is no port forwarding rules out of your isp router and make sure the netduma is in your ISP's DMZ

Then reboot the Netduma from settings Misc settings.

Then test over a good few hours for drop outs with PingPlotter.

I would keep testing over a longer period without the PLA

Make sure there is no port forwarding rules out of your isp router and make sure the netduma is in your ISP's DMZ

Then reboot the Netduma from settings Misc settings.

Then test over a good few hours for drop outs with PingPlotter.

Where would I find port forwarding rules in ym sky hubs settings? I can't find those particular words anywhere. Would it appear under a different term? The DMZ is all good. Running tests now.

You only need to take out the rules if you had placed some rules in the first place, so with you not knowing where they are a doubt you have.

Thanks for testing more.

Archived