This new "hidden" update

Wake

Within the last two weeks I've seen some people on twitter talking about how Netduma sent them to test the new update, and yet I've had my Netduma way before these people and I've been waiting months for this update to come out.

I guess all I can say is that I wish I could test this update as well, I feel like it would be great to try and give my honest opinion on how it feels.

Within the last two weeks I've seen some people on twitter talking about how Netduma sent them to test the new update, and yet I've had my Netduma way before these people and I've been waiting months for this update to come out.

I guess all I can say is that I wish I could test this update as well, I feel like it would be great to try and give my honest opinion on how it feels.

Right now they are only letting a select few of people who are in the UK test it so in case it bricks their routers it doesn't cost a fortune to send it back to Netduma and replace it.

Right now they are only letting a select few of people who are in the UK test it so in case it bricks their routers it doesn't cost a fortune to send it back to Netduma and replace it.

And yet they sent the update to people in the US....just want to feel this update out. Tired of waiting 

Hello buddy.

Yebs the new update it in beta testing stage. Yes its beta its full of bugs etc. Trust me you would not wont it in that stage. You wont a nice and smooth gaming etc. And you will get that just need to be peitiance. Its a beta testing once its done a bugs are fixed you will be able to have it.

Hello buddy.

Yebs the new update it in beta testing stage. Yes its beta its full of bugs etc. Trust me you would not wont it in that stage. You wont a nice and smooth gaming etc. And you will get that just need to be peitiance. Its a beta testing once its done a bugs are fixed you will be able to have it.

Yep and this update will get another 3 week push back in October, just wish they would keep a release date. 

Buddy this updated its mainly about brigin speeds for 125 to 900 mb so its a huge update from software point of vew. That requires slow implementation with monitoring all of the issues that comes with it so when you get it it will work.

Its a major update to the softawre and its not jet the anyjiter antyspike feture. Thisnis the 1 giga bit update. So implementing that nad makig sure that it works with all of the existing features takes time.

I wouldn't be so upset about this, what I'm hearing is people who alpha tested earlier firmwares had crashes and reboots in early .5 builds.

Do you really want to not be able to enjoy your gaming on the Netduma so you can alpha test a firmware which is not 100% optimized?

yeah i guess you have to compare the current situation of firmware release against that of the other 3rd party router companies. i mean how often do they release updates and when they do, how much difference does it actually make?? None really and when they do release an update its hardly ever to add new features! Obviously thats just my opinion.

On the flipside, i can understand peeps getting anxious, because lets face it, what the netduma guys are trying to do is pretty exciting and totally different!! On that note i guess its easy to get a little impatient ;)

When i fix computers etc I tell the customer it will be around 3 days then when I ring them later the same day to tell them it is done it gives them a sense of speed and they are over the moon.

If i told them it would be the same day their would expectation would be greater and if I couldnt meet that requirement because of complications there would be hell on but I still have the 3 days under my belt.

It is hard to keep the excitment in when you have created something new but it is better to keep stum until it is ready I feel.

I have learned how impatient humans are when giving hard to meet targets.

I think they have a bunch of people contributing to fixing the firmware. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there are many people working on the fw, just that users are reporting it to Netduma.

At the end of the day we have to remember, Netduma is still a small group of people, this EEE fix is the only real issue as far as I'm aware of.

How about let members of the forums who are here daily and that WANT to help test it. NOT THE SELECTED FEW! Active members on the forums are more then willing to help.

I see your point and I think the Netduma team should look at the passion some of the members here have, but they're testing with a select number for a reason, I might not agree with selecting a few but from their point of view if the testers Duma's go belly up, they might be able to handle a couple of defective units but if they have 30-40 members Duma's go belly up, that would be a shit storm for the Duma team right now.

Last word on the .5 build was that it was causing resets and crashes, EEE causing high pings etc...

I think that the whole update thing is really getting blown up because people are expecting something to help with the lag in current COD titles. But from what I've been reading is that this big first update won't have anything good-helpfull for us normal people, basically just trying to accommodate the very few who have gig plus speeds. In all reality I think people are much more interested in being able to throttle per IP like a lot of other routers do and the anti jitter feature that has been talked about so much recently. Correct me if I'm wrong but this update will do nothing for gaming or adding functions such as bandwidth control or password protection, just making it better for the 1% that have super speeds???

I think that the whole update thing is really getting blown up because people are expecting something to help with the lag in current COD titles. But from what I've been reading is that this big first update won't have anything good-helpfull for us normal people, basically just trying to accommodate the very few who have gig plus speeds. In all reality I think people are much more interested in being able to throttle per IP like a lot of other routers do and the anti jitter feature that has been talked about so much recently. Correct me if I'm wrong but this update will do nothing for gaming or adding functions such as bandwidth control or password protection, just making it better for the 1% that have super speeds???

This

Yep and this update will get another 3 week push back in October, just wish they would keep a release date. 

My first question is, do you even have Fiber optic internet speeds? Because, If you do not.. Then you truly shouldn't even be freaking out about the update, it wont help you anyway if you don't have those speeds.

Secondly like everyone else said, yes you MUST be patient because you would regret it alot more if the testing failed and fried your router to where you have to send out for a new one. Just saying....

But since you brought up the anti jitter, I find it funny that all of a sudden when Iain mentioned something about anti-jitter people were eating it up like cake and its all they want now. They have NO IDEA what it is other then what they were told. IT's new tech "code" pretty much.

People want to hate on me so I just want to get one thing straight to the peeps. I don't give 2 shits about the update or the future updates. I have stated in the past I am happy with my DUMA. It does exactly what it was advertised to me as. People who hate or can't seem to get it working don't blame the duma blame yourself.

The duma released a buggy version "Please FIX" 1.03.4

But when I metion something about an update people say this and that at me. Please it's been 6 months of BETA with nothing being released & what is being released still had bugs. what have they been doing for 6 months is my question? ACB123 wants simple password protection. BAM release just that a simple fix, start releasing small bug fixes..

and PLEASE stop talking about how this shit is free "UPDATES" You as a company you want to GROW so grow by making updates and fixing bugs "in a timely manor". If you want to charge then charge. Don't brag how it's free. Maybe BETA TESTERS would pay you extra if your willing to set something like that up! A bad flash can always be fixed!

I love it when people want to BLOCK me. For what? Whats my count at 10? HAHAHAH

For Someone that worked in Software and now on a daliy basis has to deal with Oracle and how they  release bug fixes and patches. FYI Very Badly

Bug fixes / Patches are NEVER easy. Because when you add one thing it will potentially brake something else. This is why rather than small quick updates you try to combine things together to be one larger update, This cuts down on regression testing of old aspects of the software which havent changed, also you go through rounds of testing, because different groups of people will find different things.

Finally you release to a Public group the reason this is last, is most of the reported bugs end up being user error, but investigating those issues takes time, and take you away from what you actually should be fixing.

Personally i would be happy being the last person to get the update on the hope that everyone else has identified the bugs and they have been fixed :)

Hi Wake - I am one of those "early testers".  I got to be one by being one of the first people to buy a router back in the middle of Dec., 2014, and being from Washington State here in the US.

What you have been seeing on Twitter, about the Anti-Jitter and the QoS posts, ARE NOT what is being tested right now.  Right now we are testing a feature that will allow the router to take advantage of much higher internet speeds for those that have that luxury.

So far, it hasn't been smooth, but I expect that as a Beta tester.  I have lost connectivity with certain devices, my GUI lost about 50% of it's features and I had to end up doing a complete reboot, which in turn dumped all my previously rated hosts.

So honestly I think the way that Team Duma has gone about this really makes a lot of sense when you consider the company is barely (IF) a year old and they only have a couple of full time employees.  If they suddenly had 20 or 50 or 100 people going through what I have gone through, it would flood service with an impossible tidal wave of complaints and problems, not to mention a loyal user fan-base that would quickly be soured.

I can assure you all, whatever you THINK is happening when we are Beta testing, it's probably not anything close.  There are a couple of really cool new features (like a pop out feature of your in-game ping with just reads "XXms" in a small window that I love).

It takes time.  Fraser is one person and there are a few of us reporting things, so the fine tuning is really down to the final stages, but they want to make sure it works for everyone.

Exactly what JD said,there is no anti jitter feature testing going on.As much as that feature is gonna help me,I would rather have it been working correctly (for the most part) before it's released to the masses.

And I can assure everyone that's saying "I want the beta" that would only apply if there are no issues,but that's not the case.And the issue with the wifi,which most are running something off of would be a huge issue for people.It's easy to say "I want it" until it doesn't work correctly.Then all people do is bitch about how their router doesn't work like it did.

For what it's worth being a beta tester is taking the good with the bad.Remember the BO3 beta and how some people didn't like the way it ran,well it's basically the same thing it's not a flawless process.

I 2nd 3rd and 4th what others have said...

Unless you have insane internet speeds or need password protection this beta won't make a whole lot of difference to you, it's the base platform that the new qos features will be built on so it needs to be rock solid.

Like any beta it has its issues and they are being worked on, it will be released when it's ready so everyone can enjoy a smooth upgrade experience.

Archived