Dumas view on auto aim

major masingil

Here's one for the Duma Army.

As selectors of NetDuma, it's obvious we take gaming somewhat seriously. I'd like to get thoughts regarding the use of auto aim. I refuse to use it ever, on any game. It takes the fun out of it for me. However, it is an option so I guess it's fair. In any average public match, do you believe most are using aim assist? Do you think it belongs in a game where you are playing against live competitors where scoring is usually based at least partially on kills?

Here's one for the Duma Army.

As selectors of NetDuma, it's obvious we take gaming somewhat seriously. I'd like to get thoughts regarding the use of auto aim. I refuse to use it ever, on any game. It takes the fun out of it for me. However, it is an option so I guess it's fair. In any average public match, do you believe most are using aim assist? Do you think it belongs in a game where you are playing against live competitors where scoring is usually based at least partially on kills?

When I first read this post I thought you were talking about cheating but then as I read on its not :P When I play an FPS I always turn off "aim assist" when I play online. I feel I get more advantage with out my gun pulling my cross hair. But in single player i tend to leave it on depending on the game.

95% of all console pad players wouldnt hit anything if there wasnt aim assist, its a needed feature to grant them accuracy and make the game enjoyable for them

even in games where you can deactivate aim assist you only turn off a certain element of it while other parts stay active, its not like you play with 0 assistance when turning it off

mostly stuff like target-slow-down or bullet-magnetism still stays active to support you

actually there are only 2 shooters currently that have 0 aim assist by default, and both are on the old gen

all other shooters do have aim assist in one or the other way

is it unfair?

not really since everyone can use it

do i think it belongs into a competitive mode?

well imo if we truly speak about competitive gametypes then yes id prefer to have it off for all players by default to increase the skillgap, though i dont see that happening since as i said like 95% of all players wouldnt hit anything anymore

if you want to experience what 100% no aim assist feels like then start a custom game of Halo, have a friend in the same team and try to betray each other

the game doesnt add any aim assist on teammates as well as no bullet magnetism or slow-down when moving over the friendly target, its quite a challenge to play

I keep it on, but I can do well without it, too.  I've played for about a week without it and my weekly kd dropped only very slightly.  AW's already challenging enough for me with SBMM and maintaining 3kd (seriously, you see the same players ALL the time in this bracket).  I know that 99% of players leave it on so I do, too.

As for competitive, I do feel they should turn off aim-assist.  People will bitch about it at first, but it makes the game take more skill.  I mean, if there are people in the real world that can shoot clay pigeons like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jpv0yZC3iMM#t=83there's no reason to believe that people can't play without aim assist at a competitive level.

I keep it on, but I can do well without it, too.  I've played for about a week without it and my weekly kd dropped only very slightly.  AW's already challenging enough for me with SBMM and maintaining 3kd (seriously, you see the same players ALL the time in this bracket).  I know that 99% of players leave it on so I do, too.

As for competitive, I do feel they should turn off aim-assist.  People will bitch about it at first, but it makes the game take more skill.  I mean, if there are people in the real world that can shoot clay pigeons like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jpv0yZC3iMM#t=83there's no reason to believe that people can't play without aim assist at a competitive level.

Do you have a youtube channel ?

You can't escape at least some form of aim assist on consoles.

That's just the nature of using inaccurate analog sticks vs. a precision mouse on PC.

It's because analog sticks don't allow for fine adjustments versus a mouse. So, if you can get your cross hair over the target, depending on the game, that's all you have to do. It makes sense because if you've ever tried to play the few games on console where you can turn it off it's much harder to hit anything for a sustained period of time without aim assist, bullet magnet, etc.

The reason 3arch took out the auto-aim on sniper rifles in BO3 is because the entire Quick Scope mechanic depends on the auto aim locking onto a target even before the scope is fully pulled up. Hence, quick scoping is really "aim assist scoping" if we're being 100% accurate. SHG's solution to QS was to leave auto-aim in, but make the scopes have so much sway and randomized zoom that it supposedly nullified the auto-aim, essentially. The problem is they made normal sniping all but impossible. Very few people snipe in AW because they finally killed QS, but at the expense of the entire sniper class as a whole. You can't snipe in AW even in normal mode because of how penalized you are for simply pulling up the scope (slow, randomized). It's one reason why AW is not as popular as other CoDs; The normal sniper and QS players have nothing to keep them coming back, right or wrong. AW is a SMG / AR spray-and-pray game for pre-teens because sniping takes actual skill, no matter how you do it.

because sniping takes actual skill, no matter how you do it.

Sniping takes actual skill.  Using a bolt gun, running around a map with a Ninja hood on, an instant melt pistol on Quik-Swap,and some shock charges ISN'T SNIPING.

I have played without the Auto Assist on, to try and improve my aim and my "centering" and it exposed a huge issue in how bad I really was... LOL  :)

If the game has Auto Aim, I use it.  If they get rid of it, I will learn to play without it like everyone else.  But with the amount of stupid bullshit that can end a good run, or knock you off your streak, I'll just consider the Auto Aim feature as an attempt to even the board.

I'm just a stubborn bastage. I could probably have a lot better k/d if I used auto aim, but I won't. If you come up against me in a game use one eye as you get those cross hairs lined up. Give me a fighting chance. Hahaha

I'm just a stubborn bastage. I could probably have a lot better k/d if I used auto aim, but I won't. If you come up against me in a game use one eye as you get those cross hairs lined up. Give me a fighting chance. Hahaha

LOL - I respect that you play that way.  I have enough of a disadvantage already with my old man reflexes.  LOL

You are the opposite of half the kids I find online who's gamer cards seem to ALWAYS look like this: qROHipK.jpg

All FPS console games have it, even if you turn it off in COD it's still there, just not as strong. (In the games that allowed you to do it in MP anyway) I think in BF competitive mode it's reduced by 50 percent, but still present.

If there was truly no aim assist at all on console, it would be a noob fest. Also the skill gap would end up being astronomical. 

This thread really took off :)

All FPS console games have it, even if you turn it off in COD it's still there, just not as strong. (In the games that allowed you to do it in MP anyway) I think in BF competitive mode it's reduced by 50 percent, but still present.

If there was truly no aim assist at all on console, it would be a noob fest. Also the skill gap would end up being astronomical.

This is 100% correct and I hated it. I am a big fan of nazi zombies and even with aim assist off I could still feel the pull because so many zombies were around me.

Sniping takes actual skill.  Using a bolt gun, running around a map with a Ninja hood on, an instant melt pistol on Quik-Swap,and some shock charges ISN'T SNIPING.

Yes, but the real fault lies within the netcode and nature of online gaming.

Meaning, the person who sends the "kill" command to the server first, gets the kill.

So, why would I, for example, send multiple packets of info a.k.a. virtual bullets from a SMG with the increased chance some of them don't count due to being dropped along the way... When I could instead send one "kill" command e.g. One virtual bullet with enough mathematical damage behind it to kill somebody in one shot. That's why snipers / OHK weapons are always preferred in competitive FPS. 

Look at CSGO. The most used weapon is the AWP, a sniper rifle, for this very reason.

I hate aim-assist but I do use it as the advantage other players have over you when it's off is immense, I'm talking consoles here. 

I'd prefer if they took it out completely then there would actually be some skill in getting a kill.

I'd prefer if they took it out completely then there would actually be some skill in getting a kill.

I would love to play a good game that didn't have it and see what the audience response would be.  My guess is that it would be all us elder folks playing it while the kids avoided it like the plague...LOL

I would love to play a good game that didn't have it and see what the audience response would be.  My guess is that it would be all us elder folks playing it while the kids avoided it like the plague...LOL

Your not wrong there mate.  Sales would plummet as the n00bs and crap players wouldn't be able to get a kill, the kids love things easy these days :)

BTW when do you become a mod?  Haven't been on for a while so must have missed the announcement.  Congrats and good choice DUMA

Archived