Hello from Sydney

Crafty

Hi everyone,

Finally got my Duma via snail mail the other day. I have been going through the videos etc and so far so good. I found the Duma through video reviews on youtube. My old router died recently so I decided to get the NetDuma. 

I game a little, mainly with friends on weeknights when the wives have gone to bed. Hoping to use the netduma to help with gaming and to watch US netflix etc. 

I used to be in IT for about 8 years, but now im a full time firey (8 years service)... I havent been excited about IT for a long time, so its nice to get a bit excited with the Netduma again.

Currently my speeds vary a lot. I have Telstra Cable internet, my speeds vary from 70 down, 2.4 up to 100down, 2.4 up... Which creates a problem with setup of the duma... I assume I just set to the lowest?

Anyway. Thats me!

Dale

Hello there and welcome to the DUMA ARMy buddy.

Yes Duma can help you out while gaming and watching Netflix Youtbe etc. The cojnestion control is there to help you.

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_getting_started

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_settings

Now what you say about you line seems like there could be a line issue. You can use Interenet daiagonstics on the router and investiaget that further.

Its could be also a wifi connections so to get the most accurate resoults make sure all of those test you do are on the wired connection and lest see what comes out of that.

Hi , welcome , if you use the duma's network diag test it will stop all other machines on your next work from using the internet while you test giving you a true result.

Do a few tests throughout the day and especially at peak time to see if it is ISP congestion causing the slow down.

Hi a welcome to the duma army :)

Im located in Melbourne Australia, there's a few auusies on here im sure they'll greet you in due time :)

Do you play on console if so what console and games

Thanks Clinton, I'm an 360 and xbox one user. Mainly FPS games, but dont mind a few sport games, depends on what my friends have when their logged on.

Hello there and welcome to the DUMA ARMy buddy.

Yes Duma can help you out while gaming and watching Netflix Youtbe etc. The cojnestion control is there to help you.

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_getting_started

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_settings

Now what you say about you line seems like there could be a line issue. You can use Interenet daiagonstics on the router and investiaget that further.

Its could be also a wifi connections so to get the most accurate resoults make sure all of those test you do are on the wired connection and lest see what comes out of that.

Thanks Lukas, I am wired and I did the internet diagnostics, all exceptional and no packet loss. I was talking with my ISP today, and they only guarantee above and 30 and below 100... So im not sure if it will be stable if there is congestion... I will Monitor during different times.

Hi Crafty, welcome to the forum :)

If your speeds fluctuate allot, you could test at different times then use the average in the congestion control.

Thanks Crossy, thats what I will do.

Hi , welcome , if you use the duma's network diag test it will stop all other machines on your next work from using the internet while you test giving you a true result.

Do a few tests throughout the day and especially at peak time to see if it is ISP congestion causing the slow down.

Thanks Zennon, I will do that, however I didnt see a speed on the diagnostic test (as in up/down) just ping times etc. Which were very consistent.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Dale

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum Dale! Happy to see you've received it :) If you haven't already I'd recommend going through the fine tuning guide from my signature. Find you average speed and it should be fine, if you have the sliders at 100% when you're not gaming for example you should get your full speed anyway :)

Welcome to the forum Dale! Happy to see you've received it :) If you haven't already I'd recommend going through the fine tuning guide from my signature. Find you average speed and it should be fine, if you have the sliders at 100% when you're not gaming for example you should get your full speed anyway :)

Thanks Fraser, so the bandwidth setting is only used for the calculations in congestion control (up and down cap) when they are set to something other than 100%? I assume that is the case with the device prioritisation as well? As in you set 20% prioritisation (not shared excess) and that limits the upload to 20% of whatever you set in bandwidth? 

If its at 100% then it doesn't look at that number at all?

Thanks!

Dale

• Administrators

Hi Dale and welcome to the forum. Really happy the Netduma has got you excited about IT again.

I'd set the rate to the lowest one to be safe. Remember it only applies when the settings are not 100%, so long as you set it back to 100% after gaming you'll get the full speed. Hope that makes sense :) 

Hi Dale and welcome to the forum. Really happy the Netduma has got you excited about IT again.

I'd set the rate to the lowest one to be safe. Remember it only applies when the settings are not 100%, so long as you set it back to 100% after gaming you'll get the full speed. Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks Iain, yes it does make sense. One last question, if I set it to 70mb/s down, then I set my download cap to 70 as per instructions - this theoritcally makes my download 49mb/s so should I go for preemptive algorithm then? (under 50 now)

• Netduma Staff

Thanks Iain, yes it does make sense. One last question, if I set it to 70mb/s down, then I set my download cap to 70 as per instructions - this theoritcally makes my download 49mb/s so should I go for preemptive algorithm then? (under 50 now)

I'd still keep it on reactive. Because otherwise you'd still be limiting the available throughput to ~55Mbps and therefore the Netduma couldn't use the ~20Mbps it has capped off as it only has ~5Mbps because pre-emptive cap is ~55Mbps. So it could end up being the bottle neck. I might be wrong though :)

If your pings are fine day and night then you should be good.

When you said you have internet slow down I spring into "congestion" mode haha, it might be your testing on servers that are underload or somebody at home is using the net while you test. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived