Traffic priortization faqs ?

kinel

Ive been using tp for years now and absolutely love it  but i relised theres a few things i have no idea on

?1 for console psn  what is the range of ports   the tp uses  usin game console as a rule

?2 when selecting a rule you have 3 options in advanced    option1 normal/default           video option2          gaming/voice option 3

What is the diffrence betwween tge 3

Also it says apply to WAN does that  mean if you select it it only applys to the wan 

So if i dont select it does it mean it applys to lan and wan both   its a bit congusing  if it applys to lan

Regarding option 3 gaming /voice i read that this is for wifi connections

So what option is for console gaming connecter wird  ethernet

I was always using gaming/voice 

But i may be using it incorrectly

• Administrators

To answer your questions:

1. The range it uses is 1024-65535
  2. Normal/Default is for normal traffic, say web browsing if you wanted to prioritize that or if you're gaming over ethernet. Video is video. Gaming/voice is if you're gaming over WiFi or using VOIP applications. 
  3. Apply to WAN adds priority tags and if your ISP is compatible with that you may get an extra prioritized boost - if they don't then it won't negatively affect you having it on.

Thanks @@fraser  

I have another? 

How many rules can we create on tp   

Ie 10 or 100 or 1000

So if i wanna prioratixe tp on the lan  and wan what setting do i select

Also does tp priotize lan traffic

Thanks as always  @@fraser

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, kinel said:

Thanks @@fraser  

I have another? 

How many rules can we create on tp   

Ie 10 or 100 or 1000

So if i wanna prioratixe tp on the lan  and wan what setting do i select

Also does tp priotize lan traffic

Thanks as always  @@fraser

That's a good question actually, I'm not too sure on the quantity as I don't think anyone would hit that limit.

Just prioritizing normally will do both.

I just wanted to ask tjis question  ive been using  tp fir  a few years now

And on every cod  i always found out what ports the game is using  

Ive done this in the past on my r1  old router   on an oldr fw  using network monitor

Then i created a post asking for it to be put back into the newr fws but it never did

So i used a  openwrt fw tpo find the ports  

Now for the 'adt week i  been writing down every port the game uses   to do the same thing  ive done for years

Atm im running myxr500   using the public latest fw not the beta

Today 

I sterted to monitor my connection    like i always have done

So i put in tp my manual port that server was using eg  s 3074   d 33340  udp

But   no traffic is going throghg the ports 

I have done this thousands of times in the past  and it would instantly see traffic going through the ports

If i use  games cosole  during a game  i would see traffic going through my  rule  games console is working

But my manual rules are not anymore

I think tp might be not working correctly fain

I made many  rules in the past and   they all worked

I make the rule when the game about to start  like ive done for years 

On 1/16/2023 at 7:48 PM, Carlosrozada said:

Could you make an screenshot of your tp rules?

I cant  as im writing  this on ps5  

Why do you want me to screen shot it out of curiosity

Also   as my previous post suggested on the xr5oo tp defienly isnt working correctly

It  isnt priotising  the right portd the game is using

Its priotises  data ports  manually  but dosent priotize  the proper game ports  only the data centre ports   from my testing  befor it  used to on my other routers and fw

4 hours ago, kinel said:

I cant  as im writing  this on ps5  

Why do you want me to screen shot it out of curiosity

Also   as my previous post suggested on the xr5oo tp defienly isnt working correctly

It  isnt priotising  the right portd the game is using

Its priotises  data ports  manually  but dosent priotize  the proper game ports  only the data centre ports   from my testing  befor it  used to on my other routers and fw

Hey kinel, I was going to ask you this awhile back.. But do you happen to know which ports might only prioritize one direction.. Like I want to prioritize only my upload ports or outbound ports. Not my receiving ports.. Are you able to capture or tell what ports are what direction?

I know there was a way to do this but I cant remember how I did this..

Hopefully you understand what im asking..

Just wanted to get your feedback on this.

Thanks!

Zippy.

23 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey kinel, I was going to ask you this awhile back.. But do you happen to know which ports might only prioritize one direction.. Like I want to prioritize only my upload ports or outbound ports. Not my receiving ports.. Are you able to capture or tell what ports are what direction?

I know there was a way to do this but I cant remember how I did this..

Hopefully you understand what im asking..

Just wanted to get your feedback on this.

Thanks!

Zippy.

Nice to hear from you zippy

I use  a router with open wrt fw on it to see   the ports the game is using    pc users use a programme called wire shark i think its callled if i remember correctly

I not  just bought a  new asus dsl  ax82u  modem router  this also tells you  in the logs what ports the game is using

But to answer your question  if you wanna only prioratise uplad ports   source 

The only way i know how to do that was using the r1 router  using the really old fw

Hers an example of my  openwrt fw or asus router log

This is from memerory so the ip  wont be correct or the port wont be either

Udp 3074  souce192.168.88.5    destination  ip324.657.80.6     34689 udpprotol

It even show how mutch packets  the game is using on openwrt fw

Heres a fix i think will work maybe

If you wanna only priotise  upload  traffic  

In traffic priortization  onlywrite this rule in you will only  see traffic going through  the   source  port    iupload

Source 3074-3074   destination 3074-3074udp 

This ia on r2 xr500  r1 routers with the newest fw

Out of curiosity why do you wanna only priotise  upload ports   / outgoing traffic

I hope i made sence

I miggt try to take a screen shot of my asus log  when i am in a game to show you   the info it shows 

But it would only be a link to the pic as i still havent worked out to propely send images

Actually i will log into my pc now and do this in a few minutes    then edit this with a link 

I cant post openwrts stats as i dont have  that router plugged in atm 

I hopee i answered your question if i didnt  please  let me know incase i read it wrongly

heres the link

ASUS Wireless Router DSL-AX82U - Connections - Google Chrome (gyazo.com)

I highlighted the  game server i was playin  on it shows  all the info there

Its showing all connections on my router

Openwrt is easier to get the info / stats

It also shows evey data centre  port the game is usin      thats why in the pic its showing another   3074   port being used  underneath my   pic i highlighted 

@fraser just an update 

I plugged back in my r2 router again with the dpi  update and tp is working correctly with my manual rules

It instantly detected them unlike the xr500

So im guessing its to do with  deeppacket inspection  update is my guess

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, kinel said:

@fraser just an update 

I plugged back in my r2 router again with the dpi  update and tp is working correctly with my manual rules

It instantly detected them unlike the xr500

So im guessing its to do with  deeppacket inspection  update is my guess

That's good to know, the XR doesn't have the DPI update currently so that makes sense!

On 1/10/2023 at 2:09 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

To answer your questions:

1. The range it uses is 1024-65535
  2. Normal/Default is for normal traffic, say web browsing if you wanted to prioritize that or if you're gaming over ethernet. Video is video. Gaming/voice is if you're gaming over WiFi or using VOIP applications. 
  3. Apply to WAN adds priority tags and if your ISP is compatible with that you may get an extra prioritized boost - if they don't then it won't negatively affect you having it on.

ok i used to see option1 normal/default           video option2          gaming/voice option 3 but i now don't 

I think onthe xr500 router  you cant select advanced in tp

You defently  cant on either the xr5oo  the r1  or the r2  

As i noticed this a few days ago   trying diffrent router setups

And diffrent fw

3 hours ago, CheckoutCoachCam said:

Dumb question, but do these updates just automatically happen or do we need to do something to update the R2 /  3.3.166 firmware?

When on 3.3.166, the update should happen automatically for the DPI. I'm not sure if can give any more information you're not in the firmware. If you are, the can be discussed in the 3.3.166 thread.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:05 PM, kinel said:

Nice to hear from you zippy

I use  a router with open wrt fw on it to see   the ports the game is using    pc users use a programme called wire shark i think its callled if i remember correctly

I not  just bought a  new asus dsl  ax82u  modem router  this also tells you  in the logs what ports the game is using

But to answer your question  if you wanna only prioratise uplad ports   source 

The only way i know how to do that was using the r1 router  using the really old fw

Hers an example of my  openwrt fw or asus router log

This is from memerory so the ip  wont be correct or the port wont be either

Udp 3074  souce192.168.88.5    destination  ip324.657.80.6     34689 udpprotol

It even show how mutch packets  the game is using on openwrt fw

Heres a fix i think will work maybe

If you wanna only priotise  upload  traffic  

In traffic priortization  onlywrite this rule in you will only  see traffic going through  the   source  port    iupload

Source 3074-3074   destination 3074-3074udp 

This ia on r2 xr500  r1 routers with the newest fw

Out of curiosity why do you wanna only priotise  upload ports   / outgoing traffic

I hope i made sence

I miggt try to take a screen shot of my asus log  when i am in a game to show you   the info it shows 

But it would only be a link to the pic as i still havent worked out to propely send images

Actually i will log into my pc now and do this in a few minutes    then edit this with a link 

I cant post openwrts stats as i dont have  that router plugged in atm 

I hopee i answered your question if i didnt  please  let me know incase i read it wrongly

heres the link

ASUS Wireless Router DSL-AX82U - Connections - Google Chrome (gyazo.com)

I highlighted the  game server i was playin  on it shows  all the info there

Its showing all connections on my router

Openwrt is easier to get the info / stats

It also shows evey data centre  port the game is usin      thats why in the pic its showing another   3074   port being used  underneath my   pic i highlighted 

Hey kinel,

Thanks for reply. Why I want to try this is I feel that maybe prioritizing in one direction only might offer better more consistent results. And its something I would like to do more digging on.. 

I currently dont use TP on the R2.. For some reason when I enable it , it makes things very out of sync. 

Would be nice to try to prioritize in one direction only.. Like upload.. Then try download only.. see which one actually makes a difference.

Thanks!

Zippy.