NEW R2 FIRMWARE: 3.0.394

Netduma Liam

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

Hi there,

i just updated to .394 and my R2 isn´t working anymore.
I did a reset after the update and did the inital setup again.
Now my Xbox wont connected to the internet anymore.
I tried multiple settings, disabled QoS, set the DMZ to the IP of the Xbox, gave the Xbox a fixed IP and some more.

Hybrid VPN isn´t working with basic Wireguard configs and the Status just says failed without any logs.

Hope there´s an update very soon...
I switched the Xbox back to my main network to use it again.

kind regards
Michael

How did you do the reset exactly? What settings did you change exactly prior to putting the Xbox online? It may be worth doing another factory reset as some users have reported if gets rid of issues that the first didn't.

You'll have to use Wireguard following this format:

[Interface]

Address= 10.x.x.x

PrivateKey= (removed)

ListenPort =443

dns = 116.x.x.x,95.x.x.x

[Peer]

PublicKey= (removed)

AllowedIPs =0.0.0.0/0

Endpoint = example01.exampleservers.com:443

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How did you do the reset exactly? What settings did you change exactly prior to putting the Xbox online? It may be worth doing another factory reset as some users have reported if gets rid of issues that the first didn't.

You'll have to use Wireguard following this format:

I did the reset over the Webinterface and the 3 dots in the top right.

Network settings: Adding Cloudflare primary and secondary DNS, disabling WiFi, assign a fixed IP to the Xbox, assign a fixed IP to my PC.
Device Manager: Rename the Xbox and choose the device type, rename my PC
QoS: Disable completely
Traffic rules: Add a new rule that allows everything for the Xbox

Could it be that the Netduma doesn´t like "=" in the values? My config file has multiple "=" in the private and public key.
And my config file has a preshared key for the peer. I´m not sure if the connection works without this value.

Cheers

• Administrators
1 hour ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

I did the reset over the Webinterface and the 3 dots in the top right.

Network settings: Adding Cloudflare primary and secondary DNS, disabling WiFi, assign a fixed IP to the Xbox, assign a fixed IP to my PC.
Device Manager: Rename the Xbox and choose the device type, rename my PC
QoS: Disable completely
Traffic rules: Add a new rule that allows everything for the Xbox

Could it be that the Netduma doesn´t like "=" in the values? My config file has multiple "=" in the private and public key.
And my config file has a preshared key for the peer. I´m not sure if the connection works without this value.

Cheers

Do another reset, don't change anything and see if it can connect. If it can, change each setting one at a time and see at which point that it fails. I'll have to pass that on to the VPN dev to double check

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do another reset, don't change anything and see if it can connect. If it can, change each setting one at a time and see at which point that it fails. I'll have to pass that on to the VPN dev to double check

The second reset worked fine and the Xbox came only right after the reset. Seems like something was still off after the first reset as the Xbox never came online at all.

I already contacted the VPN provider but they can´t change the public key of their VPN server just because the Netduma probably has a problem with a "=" in the config.
It bothers me that the Netduma just show "failed" as status and the log in empty. Is this intentional?
Normally a log should help to identify a problem but in this case i don´t get any information to resolve the problem.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Pentol said:

Hello, when will you make a change in the software to save the user's preferences?

I mean, after the factory reset, you can load the settings from the file.

It's on our roadmap but I'm afraid I can't speculate if/when we would implement a feature like this.

4 hours ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

The second reset worked fine and the Xbox came only right after the reset. Seems like something was still off after the first reset as the Xbox never came online at all.

I already contacted the VPN provider but they can´t change the public key of their VPN server just because the Netduma probably has a problem with a "=" in the config.
It bothers me that the Netduma just show "failed" as status and the log in empty. Is this intentional?
Normally a log should help to identify a problem but in this case i don´t get any information to resolve the problem.

Cheers

Glad to hear the problem with the Xbox is resolved, let us know if you experience any further issues like this.

Could you let us know who your VPN provider is? We're aware there's no logging information in Hybrid VPN, that's a known bug and will be fixed for future firmware.

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Could you let us know who your VPN provider is? We're aware there's no logging information in Hybrid VPN, that's a known bug and will be fixed for future firmware.

Hi Liam,
i switched to VPN Unlimited by Keepsolid because NordVPN wont offer Wireguard config files.
As mentioned, both the public and private keys are ending with "=" and may cause the problem.
I already tried to use ", ' or ` around the keys but that doesn´t help.

Cheers

18 hours ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

Hi Liam,
i switched to VPN Unlimited by Keepsolid because NordVPN wont offer Wireguard config files.
As mentioned, both the public and private keys are ending with "=" and may cause the problem.
I already tried to use ", ' or ` around the keys but that doesn´t help.

Cheers

No that won't be the problem, my config file also ends with equals signs and works fine. Can you send us the configuration file? Just remove any private info such as the keys.

@KARLmitLAMA Thanks for responding to my PM.

Glad you're now connected, you mentioned that the xbox is offline though. Could you confirm what you mean by that? Is the xbox no longer able to connect to the internet?

Do you have the xbox added in the 'VPN Traffic' section? 

To be clear, your xbox's local IP won't change, it is only your external IP that other devices and servers on the internet see that will have changed.

Quick Update:
Liam was able to modify the VPN Unlimited config and atleast the Netduma is now connected.
Only one space behind the equal sign and dns in small letters.
Example: "dns= 1.1.1.1" instead of "DNS = 1.1.1.1"

Unfortunately the Xbox is offline when HybridVPN is enabled.

The Xbox is declared as device type Xbox in the device manager and added to the VPN traffic list under HybridVPN.
I´m not able to open any website in Microsoft Edge (e.g. google.com) and i´m shown as offline in the menu.
I already tried another server location and the behavior stays the same.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

Quick Update:
Liam was able to modify the VPN Unlimited config and atleast the Netduma is now connected.
Only one space behind the equal sign and dns in small letters.
Example: "dns= 1.1.1.1" instead of "DNS = 1.1.1.1"

Unfortunately the Xbox is offline when HybridVPN is enabled.

The Xbox is declared as device type Xbox in the device manager and added to the VPN traffic list under HybridVPN.
I´m not able to open any website in Microsoft Edge (e.g. google.com) and i´m shown as offline in the menu.
I already tried another server location and the behavior stays the same.

Glad you got it sorted! 

Shown offline on the Xbox menu? If you apply the VPN to a PC for example does it get internet and does it appear offline in the Device Manager as well?

Yeah the Xbox is completly offline, i can´t see my friedlist or open a party chat.

I tried to add my PC as VPN device and it shows the same behavior after enabling the HybridVPN.
I´m not able to open any website or ping google.com

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

Yeah the Xbox is completly offline, i can´t see my friedlist or open a party chat.

I tried to add my PC as VPN device and it shows the same behavior after enabling the HybridVPN.
I´m not able to open any website or ping google.com

You may need to set DNS in the HybridVPN menu in that case and then it should get a connection

I added the IPv4 DNS but i can´t delete the IPv6 DNS i already entered.
Even when clearing the entry and saving, the IPv6 DNS is still entered after reloading the HybridVPN page.

The Xbox is still offline, even when adding the IPv4 DNS of my VPN Unlimited config.

2 hours ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

I added the IPv4 DNS but i can´t delete the IPv6 DNS i already entered.
Even when clearing the entry and saving, the IPv6 DNS is still entered after reloading the HybridVPN page.

The Xbox is still offline, even when adding the IPv4 DNS of my VPN Unlimited config.

Could you disable IPv6 from the LAN and WAN settings temporarily and check if the Xbox then has access? It might require a reboot of the console.

44 minutes ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

Ok that was a pretty bad idea...

After enabling IPv6 again, the Xbox stays offline even with HybridVPN being disabled.

Seems like there are quiet some fixes necessary...

I spoke to the VPN dev who's informed me we don't have IPv6 support for Wireguard yet, so if your xbox is only getting an IPv6 address that's why it can't get online.

You'll likely need to reboot the Xbox or setup it's Network settings again, it'll need to obtain a new IP if all it had was IPv6 previously.

I already restartet the Xbox after disabling IPv6 in the Netduma settings.
The Xbox receives a IPv4 from the Netduma R2 and no IPv6 at all.
So that´s not the problem.

It would be very helpful to have a log to see what is happening.
Any ETA for the fixed firmware?

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, KARLmitLAMA said:

I already restartet the Xbox after disabling IPv6 in the Netduma settings.
The Xbox receives a IPv4 from the Netduma R2 and no IPv6 at all.
So that´s not the problem.

It would be very helpful to have a log to see what is happening.
Any ETA for the fixed firmware?

WireGuard and the DNS options for HybridVPN are really new so won't have had as much user feedback on it but we're aware of the issues and will get them sorted.

I'd suggest giving the router a factory reset, using the config you got working, enter just the IPv4 DNS and see if it then works.