COD CW(PC): How can I have the NAT type: "Open" while on a wireless connection?

Kyusuke39

After following this video on port forwarding and following each step as mentioned, my NAT type on LAN/Ethernet Connection is "Open"

When the PC is the only device playing Cold War and it's on a  LAN/Ethernet Cable connection, then the NAT Type would be "Open".

However if the PC is the only device playing Cold War and it's on a Wifi connection then the NAT Type would be "Moderate".

When the PS4 is the only device playing Cold War and it's on a Wifi and "Type 2" connection then the NAT Type would be "Moderate".

When the PC & PS4 are playing Cold War at the same time then no matter what kind of connection the devices are on, both will always get a NAT Type: "Moderate"

Note: I haven't tested LAN/Ethernet Cable PS4 since realistically that device won't have that type of connection normally.

Adding the port forwarding rules has been the only way I have managed to get a NAT type on LAN/Ethernet Connection as "Open". 
Without the forwarding rules, I would get NAT Type "moderate" despite having the NAT Filtering on "Open" and UPNP enabled.

(PC & PS4) How can I have the NAT type: "Open" while on a wireless connection?

May someone please help me out, I'll actively be checking back on this post to see your replies. 
I'll try to provide as much information I can, thanks in advance.

Modem: Netgear CM1000 V2

Router: Netgear Nighthawk XR1000

Download: 250mbps Upload: 25mbps

Settings that I changed in the Netduma 3.0 OS, anything not on the list below was not changed from default.

WAN Setup: NAT Filtering-Open

LAN Setup: Reserved IP Address for Computer

Wireless Setup: Enabled OFDMA for 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ

Wireless Settings: Enabled MU-HIMO

IPV6: Automatic

UPNP: Enabled

QoS: Traffic Prioritization- Turned off "DumaOS Classified Games"

Other

Time Zone: PST

Discord: Kyūsuke#5267 

Ports.thumb.png.dd249817acfe14bb631d39b463ad13db.pngModerate.thumb.png.95d36407e6129de3301807c05182b15c.png

Your welcome, I will do what you recommend after I get home.

I'll also try to add non-conflicting port forwarding rules to the PS4.

(TCP/UDP 3479, TCP 1935, UDP 3480)

Thanks, I'll post an update in a couple hours!

Note: Anyone else can give suggestions, just in case this doesn't solve my issue.

Sadly, after running my tests the problem persists with no change.

When the PC is the only device playing Cold War and it's on a  LAN/Ethernet Cable connection, then the NAT Type would be "Open". (This still works after applying your suggested changes)

I see, okay I will try that.

Seeing my Internal IP Adress is different on my PC depending if I'm connected to LAN/Ethernet or WIFI, I'll rewrite the Internal IP Adress for the forwarding rules depending what connection I'm using.

Let's hope that, this also fixes the on Wifi NAT Type as well.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Well, I couldn't perform my test yesterday since the router randomly wasn't getting internet connection. Modem to Computer Ethernet confirmed I had internet. Tried contacting Technical support but after 3hours I still haven't been able to get a hold of XR1000 technician.

Using the command prompt, I found out that it was something to do with the DNS Suffix. It wasn't getting any. I lost connection randomly, while watching a video -.-

I will try to contact Technical support again...

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Kyusuke39 said:

Well, I couldn't perform my test yesterday since the router randomly wasn't getting internet connection. Modem to Computer Ethernet confirmed I had internet. Tried contacting Technical support but after 3hours I still haven't been able to get a hold of XR1000 technician.

Using the command prompt, I found out that it was something to do with the DNS Suffix. It wasn't getting any. I lost connection randomly, while watching a video -.-

I will try to contact Technical support again...

In System Information do you get a WAN IP? Does it show as connected there? Do all devices have this issue?

I get a WAN IP.

Connection Status: Disconnected.

All devices have this issue.

I can connect to the Routers Wifi channels but they don't have internet.

Even connecting the computer to the Router by Ethernet I get no internet.

Computer to Modem via Ethernet cable gives me internet.

Modem to Router does not give me internet.

No, a simple reboot does not restore the connection.

I'll try disabling the IPV6.

When I first did the Internet Set Up Wizard, I had to set it up manually(inputs)

Which in result had a default Static WAN IP.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does a simple reboot restore the connection? If not try disabling IPv6 on the XR and apply the Internet Setup page.

Sadly, disabling the IPv6 did nothing to solve the issue.

I even rebooted the router.

Shit man, I wasted a good 4hrs trying to fix it through tech support and I finally did it myself.

I simply had to change the connection type to DHCP.

Now back to the original purpose of this thread, I will proceed to test what was suggested for my issue 😄

• Administrators

As you have a pure modem and you have a dynamic public IP (it changes frequently - I can see it has changed over your last few posts) then you can't set a static WAN IP as it will become outdated and prevent a connection, glad you got it sorted! Okay keep us posted!

Alrighty, I conducted the tests.

"Rinkami" is the nickname of my PC.

I used the Port Forwarding Rules for Cold War(PC) aimed at my Internal IP Address when connected to Wi-Fi  and it worked! I had a NAT Type "Open

Note: You have to reboot your router after changing the Port Forwarding Rules destined Internal IP Address. 

Sadly, Rinkami has to be the first device to be connected to Cold War for it to obtain a NAT Type: "Open", if Rinkami is the second device to be connected to Cold War then it would obtain a NAT Type: "Moderate".

The PS4 was never able to obtain a NAT Type: Open, no matter if it was the first or second device to connect to Cold War.

Device.png

Ports.png

For the PC I ran the tests both via Ethernet and wireless changing the port forwarding rules destined Internal ip address accordingly.

Foe the PS4, I tested exclusively wirelessly since realistically that's how it will be normally used.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:08 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for posting and for the great details, that's really helpful!

Could you please try adding a couple more rules, one for 3075 and another for 3076 and re-run your tests?

Can you clarify what Service Type and target interal ip address are for the 3075 and 3076 port forwarding rules?

34 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

In your tests, were you playing via ethernet or wireless? The rules for 3074 and 3076 are both for the same IP address.

Yeah, they are the same target internal ip adress since it wasn't clear to me where port 3076 was going to and service type.

What should be the correct target ip adress and service type for the ports you and Fraser recommended?

On 1/19/2021 at 7:56 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

It should be 3074 for one device, 3075 for the second device etc - that's how CoD recommend people to get an open NAT using multiple devices. Are any of the devices added to the Geo-Filter?

^The ports Fraser recommended, do you happen to know what Service Type and Target internal IP Adress he was trying to infer to?

I just assumed 3074 was TCP/UDP and intended for the PC.

Assumed 3075 was TCP/UDP and intended for the PS4

Thanks for responding.

TCP/UDP for all! The ports are good, I was just wondering because you have two different IPs for your PC depending on how you're connected, which makes sense. 

So are you seeing an Open NAT on your PC regardless of whether it's wired or wireless, just as long as it's the first device to connect?

Correct, as long as I have the appropriate Port Forwarding Rules set up for the type of connection I'm going to use and it's the first device to connect to Cold War then it will obtain a NAT Type "Open".

If my PC is the second device to be connected to Cold War then it would obtain a NAT Type: "Moderate" no matter what.

The PS4 was never able to obtain a NAT Type: Open, no matter if it was the first or second device to connect to Cold War.

could you try 3074 for PS4, and also make sure you have static IP adress on it

and put 3075 for your PC with static IP adress. both wired.   I tried many time to do this by myself, but I never tried to put 3074 for ps4 and 3075 for PC.  maybe you will get luck !