Slow internet speeds through the R2

BingBONG

36 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you disable Adblocker please, reboot from the interface then see if the the speeds are still slow?

Adblocker disabled:
image.thumb.png.c3ce7f576ad56f2f04cd268fb1326fc7.png

After reboot, speeds remain the same:
image.thumb.png.0123110ac8bc4ad7db4fb81969a58759.png

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Re-enable QoS, make a manual Traffic Prio rule to prioritize all ports 1-65535 for source and destination, tcp/udp then do a speed test, what do you get?

Rule created:

image.thumb.png.e47863567922c481a1fe458209ee424a.png

Speed test right after:

image.thumb.png.795e2d15a7a9f040c084f224f3045970.png

Still the same. I appreciate all your help, folks, but it seems there's something within the router that's limiting my speed, and we can't seem to find it. Only test remaining would be to try a different router, I guess.

Edited by Raikun
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry, should have been clearer, I mean on the QoS page, make a Traffic Prioritization rule and see if its working, although that was a good test to do also. 

Ok gotcha:

image.png.7136b41b3809141535c77882c0da9c38.png

No dice:

image.thumb.png.e1b82c867331cb90b8c6412cae3b0c5c.png

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So strange, okay one last test please, put the PC in the DMZ, then test, as soon as the test is complete remove it from the DMZ again

Well, placing it on DMZ showed a slight improvement but still, half of my actual speed:
image.thumb.png.c79d84340f79bbed573823fcd94880c0.png

• Administrators

Okay so the device is bypassing the firewall, QoS, WAN protections that can drop packets so there really isn't anything that could be restricting it. Could you downgrade the firmware, factory reset and see if it is better then?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so the device is bypassing the firewall, QoS, WAN protections that can drop packets so there really isn't anything that could be restricting it. Could you downgrade the firmware, factory reset and see if it is better then?

Sure, I'll try downgrading and test it out

On 12/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry about the lack of replies. 
So I downgraded to R2 3.0.205, performed Factory Reset before and after the process, and my speeds remain the same with the firmware with default settings:

image.thumb.png.84fb768f686468d2e71ea2cb8b02265e.png

At this point I have no idea what else to try, save testing a different router.

Hey @Raikun I noticed in one of your screenshots you have your MTU set to 1452. Is that standard for your connection.? Why not 1500?  What I would try is to leave your MTU at default and also keep your DNS servers as default as well.. So I would factory reset the R2 and let the R2 setup your connection.. Dont change your MTU or DNS servers. Then test your speeds.. What do you get then?

Thanks!

Zippy.

I know it may seem quite simple and one you may have already tried. But, I know I was having similar issues with my R2. I too was able to plug directly into modem and was having pretty much my advertised speeds, only to connect to R2, and was haven't below speed results. I didn't put too much attention into it, but the ethernet chord I was using was the one provided with ISP modem that was installed. I didn't even look at the cable but it probably was a cat5/cat5e. I switched to my old cat 6 cables and then a "cat 8" cable from amazon here. And I've been getting my speeds ever since. Again, simple but worth a shot.

10 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey @Raikun I noticed in one of your screenshots you have your MTU set to 1452. Is that standard for your connection.? Why not 1500?  What I would try is to leave your MTU at default and also keep your DNS servers as default as well.. So I would factory reset the R2 and let the R2 setup your connection.. Dont change your MTU or DNS servers. Then test your speeds.. What do you get then?

Thanks!

Zippy.

I always optimize my MTU for online gaming. Having said that, I performed a downgrade and factory reset yesterday, so I'm running with default MTU and speeds are still well below ISP advertised. Thanks for the suggestion though

7 hours ago, TrayDay said:

I know it may seem quite simple and one you may have already tried. But, I know I was having similar issues with my R2. I too was able to plug directly into modem and was having pretty much my advertised speeds, only to connect to R2, and was haven't below speed results. I didn't put too much attention into it, but the ethernet chord I was using was the one provided with ISP modem that was installed. I didn't even look at the cable but it probably was a cat5/cat5e. I switched to my old cat 6 cables and then a "cat 8" cable from amazon here. And I've been getting my speeds ever since. Again, simple but worth a shot.

Yup, I replaced every bit of cabling in my apartment with Cat 8, no dice

7 minutes ago, Raikun said:

I always optimize my MTU for online gaming. Having said that, I performed a downgrade and factory reset yesterday, so I'm running with default MTU and speeds are still well below ISP advertised. Thanks for the suggestion though

Thanks for trying! Wish it would have worked for yah! Im very curious on what the issue is.. As you have tried about everything one could. 

Zippy.

53 minutes ago, Raikun said:

I hear ya, I'm gonna try one last Hail Mary and report back

I noticed the smallest nick on one of my cables. Replaced it and things got a bit better, at least i got 100+ speeds consistently:
image.thumb.png.c7f64eb640847b883717a11f3a767bb5.png

I also found a Gigabit switch lying around, so I connected it directly to my modem, and even then, speeds through LAN barely touched 120 Mbps. Seems like advertised speeds are only possible through the SSID provided by the ISP.

I'm satisfied, so I guess we can mark this issue as closed. Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to help out, and Happy Holidays all!

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Raikun said:

I noticed the smallest nick on one of my cables. Replaced it and things got a bit better, at least i got 100+ speeds consistently:
image.thumb.png.c7f64eb640847b883717a11f3a767bb5.png

I also found a Gigabit switch lying around, so I connected it directly to my modem, and even then, speeds through LAN barely touched 120 Mbps. Seems like advertised speeds are only possible through the SSID provided by the ISP.

I'm satisfied, so I guess we can mark this issue as closed. Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to help out, and Happy Holidays all!

Ah well done for figuring it out, thanks for the update, happy holidays!

So, I ran my speed test, on my Bell Home Hub 3000 I'm getting 1.12GB down with 974mb up, 2ms ping, 

why is my Netduma only giving me 200mb down and 150up with 29ms ping? 

i have port forwarded all my necessary ports as well

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, EagleClaw said:

So, I ran my speed test, on my Bell Home Hub 3000 I'm getting 1.12GB down with 974mb up, 2ms ping, 

why is my Netduma only giving me 200mb down and 150up with 29ms ping? 

i have port forwarded all my necessary ports as well

Hey, welcome to the forum!

How and where are you testing the speeds? Is the R2 in the DMZ of the hub? Are ALL devices connected to the hub? What are your QoS settings?

I’m getting 1.34 GBPs down and 918mbs up with a 8ms ping on my HUB speed test, when I run a speed test in the r2 I’m only getting 319mbs down and 153mbs up with a 27ms under load ping “which is a+” 

I have set the duma r2 in the DMZ of my HUB. So what do I do next? 
thanks for all the help by the way!! Hope you all have a fabulous Holidays 

62160CAB-16F0-42B1-81EC-CCC32B3988EB.jpeg

A94B7AB0-3805-4C7B-88B8-771BD6650E39.jpeg

• Administrators

Don't do the speed test on the hub itself as it won't be a real representation of what you would get over the internet, directly connected and then using speedtest.net what do you get? You're very welcome and thank you, hope you have a great holiday too!

On 12/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Don't do the speed test on the hub itself as it won't be a real representation of what you would get over the internet, directly connected and then using speedtest.net what do you get? You're very welcome and thank you, hope you have a great holiday too!

This is the speed test through the speed test.net as you said, this is while my son is playing online, and my wife is streaming 4K Netflix…..then when I run the speed test thru the router, it’s choking my speeds tremendously…..literally have some of the best internet’s speeds down and up in the world 

CD9F2F64-B70D-47BD-94F8-64FC9EF1B86F.jpeg