My Wifi Speeds Are Slow

stvbdkd

5 minutes ago, Anilman92 said:

I didnt split 2.4 and 5ghz

i only tested it quickly.

but 5ghz in that spot has a poor connection 1-2 of 5

2.4 should have 4-5 of 5

but i dont use the wifi of r2 that much.

i have 2 isp connections and i splited my IoT devices(phone tv and so on)  to isp 2 router

and netduma is connected with isp 1 but only my pc and console are connected to it wired.

only if i use the autoping i connect my phone with r2.

All channels are good i already checked it with fritzbox.So just dont use auto bandwidth settings. 

If you do use WiFi on the R2 make sure the channels are separated to help channel utilisation ie your the 2.4 and 5Ghz are not on the same channels as your other router.

Hi guys,

it makes definitely sense to split the wifi between 2,4 and 5ghz.

If you face low bandwith, then play around with the wifi channels.

2,4ghz:
Try channels: 2, 6 or 11 or 13

5ghz:

Try channels: 64, 100, 120 or 128

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
18 minutes ago, Thatfknguy said:

I get less than 10mb/s. Almost 200 bucks for a decent router.... Super frustrating!!!

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that, would also suggest changing the width to 80 for 5GHz.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, paddypower92 said:

My wifi is so slow from 750Mbs i got only 200mbs..
Iv tryed to do a lot to fix it.  No chance
I have the latest firmware update

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried a different cable from the R2 to the modem?

What is the exact make and model of the modem?

If you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, do speeds improve?

Yes I bought a brand new Cat6 Kabel . I disabled QoS just to try.  I changed the WiFi ports and GHz.  Wired connection is fine . Only WiFi is the problem . Spent a lot to get the Netduma to Norway .  And for months it’s problem with the WiFi .  I bought it right away after release. Always had Problem with the WiFi :/

2 hours ago, paddypower92 said:

Yes I bought a brand new Cat6 Kabel . I disabled QoS just to try.  I changed the WiFi ports and GHz.  Wired connection is fine . Only WiFi is the problem . Spent a lot to get the Netduma to Norway .  And for months it’s problem with the WiFi .  I bought it right away after release. Always had Problem with the WiFi 😕

Did Wi-Fi speeds improve at all when you completely disabled QoS? Unfortunately, we don't yet expect that the Wi-Fi in the R2 will be able to provide the same speeds as wired, but it still should be functional and non-disruptive. We're working on improving this through firmware updates.

It’s no big difference if QoS is on or off.  I also experienced that the WiFi is lagging. I don’t expect to get the same speed as on wired . But between 100 and 280 is to bad . If I’m example on Instagram,  the pictures never show until I change to 4G on my phone .  I hope the software update is right around the corner. 
thx for the replay.  

• Administrators

I'm not sure how much above 300 we would be able to get it. Are you using Mirror mode? Have you used a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that? Have you experimented with the widths?

With the R1 model it was over 400.  So I don’t know why it should be a problem for the R2?  I don’t use mirror mode . I’ve tried every channel that is .  But what is widths ? Sorry this one is new for me. 

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, paddypower92 said:

With the R1 model it was over 400.  So I don’t know why it should be a problem for the R2?  I don’t use mirror mode . I’ve tried every channel that is .  But what is widths ? Sorry this one is new for me. 

Really? That's surprising, I've never seen anyone get over 200 with that. It dictates how much data can pass through and at what speeds, with 2.4GHz it's generally advised to use 20MHz due to overlapping that could cause it to not get higher speeds. Try 80MHz for 5GHz and see what speeds you get

• Administrators

Set the antennae to look like this _ | | _ so two pointing straight up, one either side pointing outwards. Move any wireless devices e.g. remotes, headphones and any electrical devices at least 3 feet away from the router and see if there is any improvement

The point is - we bought this "smashing" router (waited several months and read multiple reviews) and it feels like we are all now clutching at straws trying to find out why this "super performing router" is having worse WIFI performance than all other ISP provided routers that have been located in the same room and often the same spot and with the same possible interference issues. 

We appreciate your help and responsiveness - most of the time you are simply helpfully unhelpful. You acknowledge the issue, tell us how to fine tune every possible attribute, to get 70% of the range or speed compared to the 3x cheaper, default settings on ISP provided routers. Did anyone actually bother to test the WIFI in real life scenarios before going into full production?

If you want to be helpful, do tell us what the hardware or software limitations are or stop wasting my time or raising my hopes. I don't even mention the need to physically reboot the router weekly to even be able to see why my internet is slow. 

If that is the best you can do - I am donating this piece of "outstanding marketing device" to the highest bidder on ebay. 

p.s. You marketing team is simply outstanding; it feels I have bought a "cat in the sack" thanks to them. The simple rule of current modern era - if it is not available on Amazon it means it has issues and you are stuck with worthless, non returnable or fixable equipment. At least with Amazon I can get a replacement or refund when things go wrong. 

1 hour ago, kray99 said:

The point is - we bought this "smashing" router (waited several months and read multiple reviews) and it feels like we are all now clutching at straws trying to find out why this "super performing router" is having worse WIFI performance than all other ISP provided routers that have been located in the same room and often the same spot and with the same possible interference issues. 

We appreciate your help and responsiveness - most of the time you are simply helpfully unhelpful. You acknowledge the issue, tell us how to fine tune every possible attribute, to get 70% of the range or speed compared to the 3x cheaper, default settings on ISP provided routers. Did anyone actually bother to test the WIFI in real life scenarios before going into full production?

If you want to be helpful, do tell us what the hardware or software limitations are or stop wasting my time or raising my hopes. I don't even mention the need to physically reboot the router weekly to even be able to see why my internet is slow. 

If that is the best you can do - I am donating this piece of "outstanding marketing device" to the highest bidder on ebay. 

p.s. You marketing team is simply outstanding; it feels I have bought a "cat in the sack" thanks to them. The simple rule of current modern era - if it is not available on Amazon it means it has issues and you are stuck with worthless, non returnable or fixable equipment. At least with Amazon I can get a replacement or refund when things go wrong. 

I can understand your concerns and frustrations here, the particular issue you're experiencing is one that is top priority for us currently. We've developed new tools internally and are working with a couple of users to reproduce and find the root cause of the issue.

We're aware that the Wi-Fi on the R2 could be better, it didn't appear to be a problem during the initial testing but after feedback from users we're aware it could be better for users with particularly fast speeds.

As you say, we do our best to provide support to the users that experience the issue with disconnections and in many cases have been able to resolve it, but this doesn't apply to everyone. You can find the return terms at netduma.com/terms, feel free to email [email protected] if you have any queries about the terms.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:58 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

In DHCP settings set the DHCP lease hours to 168 and apply, see if that helps.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I've sent you a PM, please see if that helps.

my wifi speed is down to about 230 mbits done conecton benchmark my routers getting between 610-650 

Depending on what devices you use for testing you simply might not be getting much more.

200-300 mbit is actually quite in line with competitor's results for AC1200 systems with 2x2 transmitters.

The best I’ve achieved was around 380 but that was a good day. A rule of thumb is around 40 to 60% of the rate for a wave 1 router. A wave 2 router will achieve a better throughput as it can achieve a higher QAM which is dynamic so distance plays a part. This comes under modulation and coding so the higher QAM the more bits can be sent in one go. 
Once you start adding clients and if you have a high number the throughput is reduced on a busy network. You often see routers say max number of clients ie 25, 50, 125 and so on but at max client limit it’s at a snail rate. 

It’s not uncommon to see isp gear as wave 2 hence why you see higher throughputs and can handle more clients. 

Saying that the XR300 is wave 1 but that uses official drivers so will see an increase in throughput but NG can afford licences and can produce routers in bulk probably cheaper than Netduma but the R2 while it might not have the same hardware still offers great performance for its price range. 

Worth mentioning that while WiFi testing is great and you often hear range is a limiting factor it’s not only the router that talks but the device must be able to talk back too so while at range errors occur and that can slow down performance through retransmission and hogging the airtime.

Home routers tend to blast out the signal more than enterprise routers as they are not meant to handle huge amounts of clients in a busy network where as enterprise gear tends to rely on extra AP placements to handle client numbers and to maintain a desired throughput.

44 minutes ago, Newfie said:

The best I’ve achieved was around 380 but that was a good day. A rule of thumb is around 40 to 60% of the rate for a wave 1 router. A wave 2 router will achieve a better throughput as it can achieve a higher QAM which is dynamic so distance plays a part. This comes under modulation and coding so the higher QAM the more bits can be sent in one go. 
Once you start adding clients and if you have a high number the throughput is reduced on a busy network. You often see routers say max number of clients ie 25, 50, 125 and so on but at max client limit it’s at a snail rate. 

It’s not uncommon to see isp gear as wave 2 hence why you see higher throughputs and can handle more clients. 

Saying that the XR300 is wave 1 but that uses official drivers so will see an increase in throughput but NG can afford licences and can produce routers in bulk probably cheaper than Netduma but the R2 while it might not have the same hardware still offers great performance for its price range. 

Worth mentioning that while WiFi testing is great and you often hear range is a limiting factor it’s not only the router that talks but the device must be able to talk back too so while at range errors occur and that can slow down performance through retransmission and hogging the airtime.

Home routers tend to blast out the signal more than enterprise routers as they are not meant to handle huge amounts of clients in a busy network where as enterprise gear tends to rely on extra AP placements to handle client numbers and to maintain a desired throughput.

u think if Ido a decently long Ethernet run it will be colser to 500 wich my qos is set at

on my power line adapters I’m getting 51 down 54 up megabit lol thinking about running Ethernet or should I j get like 2gbit or more power line adapters since power line adapters can only handle a percent of their advertised speeds my lil brother has 1gb powerline adapters and is getting about double my speed for down and qos max for upload 

You should always do ethernet if possible.

One thing I noted in synthetic benchmarking on the XR500 and XR700 is that latency is somewhat ok, but still much higher than over ethernet. However when I run 2 datastreams simultanously, ie Iperf testing on my Iphone from LAN and a speedtest on my Ipad latency actually increases a lot. Ie LAN to speedtest server 8ms, WIFI to speedtest server 12-15ms, and with simultanous datastreams 25ms.

So really you should use wired connections where possible and use the wifi for things like smart phones etc. If you must game over wifi, best would be having a dedicated AP for your gaming device. 

Bert is spot on. I think Tim on SNB did some latency checks on AX with OFDMA on and the results were very good however that’s a lab test but AX offers the best WiFi experience if you have AX devices. That’s not to say you can’t happily game on wifi but wiring up with the R2 is the best method.

power adaptors, well I don’t much like them, not for gaming and they very rarely give great results if you want the best experience and performance. They are fine for surfing the net or watching vids.

when you run a cable from router to device you have the most control of that environment, with WiFi you can’t control interference or the way WiFi is designed to work. 

I've been facing a similar issue lately and i would like some help.

2 mobile phones, one console get max speed while in wifi connection. Laptop hardly gets 0.7 mbps. I tested it on a different router and works fine, so no hardware or software issue.

I've tried disabling add blocker, QoS but nothing changed. I have separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels.

I'm running on 3.0.279 firmware, which has been absolutely stable for me since i bought the router.

@Newfie, @Netduma Liam Any help will be appreciated! Thank you in advance!