My Wifi Speeds Are Slow

stvbdkd

Yeah I’m at the point I would just like to refund it WiFi speeds are super slow or will barely even connect at a range that isn’t even that far and as far as gaming I don’t even feel like I’m getting consistent hit markers at this point, I just switched back to my isp router I’m done messing with this trash.

So I upgraded to the firmware sent to me via PM.

Wifi has improved significantly though still not at the speeds it should be but I guess this is a work in progress.

I am still experiencing loss of internet though, randomly the router will lose internet and only a reboot will get the internet working. I am no longer connecting my gaming pc directly to the router and just using the Wifi for now.

My WiFi speeds slow down randomly and the internet connection just stops working, on both wifi and ethernet. I usually need to reboot the router to get it working again.

• Administrators
On 10/14/2020 at 10:05 PM, bowser914 said:

It disconnects randomly 1-2x a day. 

In DHCP settings set the DHCP lease hours to 168 and apply, see if that helps.

On 10/15/2020 at 2:44 AM, ELE said:

My WiFi speeds slow down randomly and the internet connection just stops working, on both wifi and ethernet. I usually need to reboot the router to get it working again.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I've sent you a PM, please see if that helps.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, bowser914 said:

@Netduma Fraser,

Can you please check the PM I've sent?

Thank you,

It is almost certainly due to firmware, there will be a new version shortly, if it still hasn't improved after that we can look into what you suggested.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, bowser914 said:

@Netduma Fraser

I am already at a point of break with this router, keep getting dropped, I can't even rely on this for my day to day work. At this point it is unplugged and just using my normal provider router. 

I understand the frustration and need for stability, the latest firmware being tested looks pretty good so I'm hoping that will be the candidate for released and we can get it out to people very soon.

On 10/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I understand the frustration and need for stability, the latest firmware being tested looks pretty good so I'm hoping that will be the candidate for released and we can get it out to people very soon.

Hi @Netduma Fraser,

Do we have an estimated date of when this new firmware will be released? My router remains unplugged and collecting dust and would like to start using it again.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, bowser914 said:

Hi @Netduma Fraser,

Do we have an estimated date of when this new firmware will be released? My router remains unplugged and collecting dust and would like to start using it again.

People tend to get frustrated if I provide an estimate and that date is missed so I don't have an estimate currently. I know the team are working diligently on it. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, bowser914 said:

So I upgraded to the firmware sent to me via PM.

Wifi has improved significantly though still not at the speeds it should be but I guess this is a work in progress.

I am still experiencing loss of internet though, randomly the router will lose internet and only a reboot will get the internet working. I am no longer connecting my gaming pc directly to the router and just using the Wifi for now.

same thing hear wifi is slow

When you say in range are you looking at your devices WiFi strength. 
Wifi is a wolf in sheep’s clothing at times, each standard has increased its range and stability. 

what sort of range are you seeing the drops at and what’s between you and the router ie walls?

Is the router in a nice open area away from other electrical equipment?

Have you scan your neighbouring channels to find one that offers less interference?

Turn off mirror mode if it’s on and test each channel.

17 minutes ago, Newfie said:

When you say in range are you looking at your devices WiFi strength. 
Wifi is a wolf in sheep’s clothing at times, each standard has increased its range and stability. 

what sort of range are you seeing the drops at and what’s between you and the router ie walls?

Is the router in a nice open area away from other electrical equipment?

Have you scan your neighbouring channels to find one that offers less interference?

Turn off mirror mode if it’s on and test each channel.

May i ask what program you use to scan neighbouring channels?

I’m on a Mac and use WiFi explorer and the router I have at the moment can scan too but there are several good ones for both Mac and Windows.

The problem is auto on routers and more so on 2.4 channel. when you scan it will show at that point what’s around you but they can change too if they use auto and different routers have different frequencies of change.

5Ghz has less coverage so unless you are in apartments with many neighbouring channels about it should be ok. Unfortunately where you do have lots of neighbouring channels especially in apartments most routers will be set to max transmit power so they all start to interfere with each other.

sometimes it pays to run a lower transmit power so that your Router is not picking up as much interference i.e. your Wi-Fi signal is not bleeding over as many neighbouring channels ie you are trying to limit what neighbouring channels are picking up your Wi-Fi.

80 MHz on 5 GHz channel offers the best throughput but if you have a lot of neighbouring channels 40 MHz may offer better Stability but at a cost of throughput.

with these type of routers which are an all in one option they tend to send the Wi-Fi out in the hope to cover the area that you occupy and so the problem is if you lower transmit power you may end up with dead spots where you need an access point to maintain a good connection. what normally happens is that your client or device that you are using at a distance will see the router but it may be too far away for the device to communicate back so you end up with retransmissions and errors which then starts the hog the Wi-Fi i.e. air time. 
A good example of this is to install Wi-Fi SweetSpots and walk around your property and you will see the throughput drops yet the device shows a good connection, when the throughput drops that device is hanging onto your Wi-Fi longer than it should be So the end result is it slows down your network. This is why you see Mesh systems deployed in larger areas but this also brings problems for home users as they normally have too many mesh points and the devices do not swap to the strongest signal due to the fact that the nodes are too close to each other and kicking out too much power. It can also be a case of lack of coverage from the router but at that point your client will see the signal strength drop as well as throughput.

With the R2 the placement is very important To achieve best performance with Wi-Fi. There are other sources of interference as well which a Wi-Fi analyser will not show i.e. EMI, weather and other devices that can cause issues. 

I didnt split 2.4 and 5ghz

i only tested it quickly.

but 5ghz in that spot has a poor connection 1-2 of 5

2.4 should have 4-5 of 5

but i dont use the wifi of r2 that much.

i have 2 isp connections and i splited my IoT devices(phone tv and so on)  to isp 2 router

and netduma is connected with isp 1 but only my pc and console are connected to it wired.

only if i use the autoping i connect my phone with r2.

All channels are good i already checked it with fritzbox.So just dont use auto bandwidth settings.