Is the r2 a placebo

scoobypreza

hi any one feel like the netduma routers are a placebo I connect to sever and check my ping its a rock solid 9ms according to the r2 but my in game ping is fluctuating up and down by 30ms or so but the r2 still shows 9ms I know the in game ping will be higher do to processing but its the fluctuating ping why does this not show on the r2

Sounds like we have some misconceptions and reasonable misunderstanding of server latency and ping.  

I shouldn't be the one to explain this in a simplified manner ( I also don't have the time at the moment) so here is my post to bump this so maybe we can get an official explanation from netduma, maybe even with some graphics to help illustrate the differences and why your router can say your ping is X while the game reports Y.

To answer is it a placebo yes and no its maybe not as critical to have low ping as something like 30 FPS vs 240 FPS but its still important. I for one think the most beneficial reason to get an R2 over another router would have to be Price to Chipset used, bufferbloat limits and ability to easily adjust advanced features such as limiting severs I connect to or limiting how much bandwidth my daughters tablet can use at one time.  

I understand  the in game ping will read higher do to processing the fluctuating ping that is the issue the in game ping will go from 30ms to 60ms continuously but the r2 does not show this and gaming is awful 

In my experience, and there has been quite a bit over the past few weeks. 
Call of Duty is probably the worst online experience I’ve had in the past 20 years playing online. 
the servers are what cause the ‘Super bullets’, due to their tick rate. 
Warzone servers only have a 20 tick rate, which is unacceptable for any LAN / Online FPS game. 
multiplayer servers have a 60+ tick rate, which is why there seems to be that huge difference in gameplay. 
So think of the tick rate as frames per second for a minute. Each frame is a server to client update, meaning that the server updates your game 20 times every second on Warzone, and 60+ times in multiplayer. Now imaging the difference if it was actual frames per second. Have you ever played cod on a pc and your frames drop to their low 20’s? It’s impossible to see what’s happening. Multiplayer is like playing a 60fps game (PS4 & XBox one current FPS) Put the lag compensation on TOP of a 20 tick rate and you get Warzone ;) 

• Administrators

It's not a placebo as it's obviously doing its' job getting you a low ping server. The fluctuation in ping on the game side is then due to that server specifically, i.e. it's under heavy load etc. If that is the case then force a different server, perhaps slightly further away. The R2 will optimize your connection as much as possible but if the game server is under load etc then the router can't help with that and is entirely down to the game.

7 hours ago, Satan1976 said:

In my experience, and there has been quite a bit over the past few weeks. 
Call of Duty is probably the worst online experience I’ve had in the past 20 years playing online. 
the servers are what cause the ‘Super bullets’, due to their tick rate. 
Warzone servers only have a 20 tick rate, which is unacceptable for any LAN / Online FPS game. 
multiplayer servers have a 60+ tick rate, which is why there seems to be that huge difference in gameplay. 
So think of the tick rate as frames per second for a minute. Each frame is a server to client update, meaning that the server updates your game 20 times every second on Warzone, and 60+ times in multiplayer. Now imaging the difference if it was actual frames per second. Have you ever played cod on a pc and your frames drop to their low 20’s? It’s impossible to see what’s happening. Multiplayer is like playing a 60fps game (PS4 & XBox one current FPS) Put the lag compensation on TOP of a 20 tick rate and you get Warzone ;) 

The warzone severs i play in have a tick rate of 50 average 

1 hour ago, wrighty338 said:

my pings are always solid always have been on both R1 and R2 

My ping is rock solid on the r2 as they where ion the r1 its in game ping that fluctuating up and down by 30ms thats the issue 

The latency value you see in CoD always add's 16.66ms on top of your actual ping if you play on Console.

So if you have a ping of 30ms on CoD, your actual internet latency to the server is 13ms - 14ms

This is due to CoD factoring in your framerate latency with your internet latency.

57 minutes ago, He4DHuNt3r_XIM said:

The latency value you see in CoD always add's 16.66ms on top of your actual ping if you play on Console.

So if you have a ping of 30ms on CoD, your actual internet latency to the server is 13ms - 14ms

This is due to CoD factoring in your framerate latency with your internet latency.

I know this m8 the issue is the in game ping going up and down by 30ms continuously while in game