R2 Signal Strength Issue

Netduma Fraser

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, we will try to reproduce this internally and try to get a fix out quick. Surprised at that as it has been tested thoroughly, what web browser and device/OS do you see it happen on?

I used MS Edge and Chrome (even on android). Same result.

Guest Killhippie
10 minutes ago, liveandletdie34 said:

I was asking about how to WiFi would be on the R2 as I was going to buy the xr500 but by the looks of this post my questions are answered unfortunately 

New releases always have bugs the XR500 certainly did and I helped beta test that model. These issues will be solved but the router has only been out since Friday. Now that it is being used in the wild so to speak issues like this will be easy to spot and fix. Hold in there and give the router some time to be patched for new issues. 

Good to know a fix will be in the works. I’m in an apartment and get inconsistent speeds throughout, there’s only one wall separating the router and my desktop pc but I’m only able to achieve half the download speed via wireless I would normally get with my other router (it would max out my 100/40 fibre with the same set up).

I’ve had to switch back to my old router in the meantime thanks to my partner complaining and I work from home so I won’t be able to fiddle with it until the evenings. Hopefully I can just load the fix without having anyone have to remote in to it cause it the time difference with me being in Australia

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

New releases always have bugs the XR500 certainly did and I helped beta test that model. These issues will be solved but the router has only been out since Friday. Now that it is being used in the wild so to speak issues like this will be easy to spot and fix. Hold in there and give the router some time to be patched for new issues. 

I have just ordered it anyway I have had the R1 since 2015 so I may as well keep supporting them. As long as I can keep the WiFi connected to my devices I will be happy until a fix is ready 

20 hours ago, Netduma Iain said:

Hi everyone, thanks for purchasing the R2. Just a heads up, we're working on a firmware that will give you dynamic wireless information. We should have it available in at most in a couple of days. This firmware will also have more channels for you to choose from. Finally, we'll be able to tweak your power up to the acceptable range.

For the power tweaking we'll do it manually by accessing your router until we've fully resolved the issue then we'll add features on the GUI to control the TX power.

@Netduma Anas will be helping you. Thanks for your patience :)

that's why I purchased R2 router. the fast response. thank you bro. 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Tua PR said:

I used MS Edge and Chrome (even on android). Same result.

If you clear the cache/cookies of each browser that you try do you see the same thing?

14 hours ago, liveandletdie34 said:

I was asking about how to WiFi would be on the R2 as I was going to buy the xr500 but by the looks of this post my questions are answered unfortunately 

It's like with most things, works really well for some and not so for others. For those encountering issues we are working on it right now to improve it with a firmware to come today or tomorrow that should help.

12 hours ago, liveandletdie34 said:

I have just ordered it anyway I have had the R1 since 2015 so I may as well keep supporting them. As long as I can keep the WiFi connected to my devices I will be happy until a fix is ready 

Thanks for the support! We'll have it resolved soon I should think.

• Administrators

@Enki From my PMs with a user having these issues here is some additional information:

wifi sweetspots is showing around 70-80Mbps and sometimes peaking over 100Mbps. So it's definitely improved there but speedtest.net is giving me results of 20Mbps - 50Mbps. Downloading a file from a source where i always max out my connection is giving me 3-500KB/s.
inSSIDer is showing the signal strength as -63dBm which was the same as the previous firmware.

Selected 153 which was the previous router channel where I could max my connection and inSSIDer is showing signal strength anywhere from -50dBm to -64dBm - it keeps fluctuating. According to it there are no overlaps with other wifi.
speedtest.net i'm getting 48/26, next test i got 67/26. Downloading a file at 600-900KB/s
wifi sweetspots is showing 30-60Mbps on this channel.
The mirror settings on both 2.4 & 5 isn't saving. I turn it off and turn off 2.4 and hit save, next time i look at it the mirror setting is back on but the 2.4 is apparently off.
inSSIDer is picking up 2 netdumar2 signals, channel 153 and channel 1+5. both have the same mac address and are n, ac

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Enki said:

@Tua PR @Netduma Fraser

Channel 165 is the lowest power please try more standard channels like 36 or 149.

Also to improve range (and latency) you might want to use 40 or even 20 MHz channels on 5GHz, instead of default 80MHz.

@Netduma Fraser What is his baseline over the wire from LAN to ookla?

Thanks, I've passed this over to the team as you're not able to change MHz at the moment on the GUI. I've PM'd the user and will get back to you with wired speed.

• Administrators

Thanks @Stephen A Vaught, great job getting the log and thank-you for your patience.

I've performed a 1 on 1 with a customer suffering from Wi-Fi, and it was definitely lower than expected. I believe it is due to his environment which had many APs nearby (far more than normal). We're looking into a fix but won't be able to get one until early next week.

Please try the new firmware with new channels and take a screenshot of the Wi-Fi tool. Hopefully it helps but if not there will be more help available early next week. Finally if you do have a more power router like XR500 I'd recommend putting it in AP mode behind the R2 in the meantime.

Finally @Stephen A Vaught if your Wi-Fi client has logging information, or you can enable it. Please try grab us a the client log and the router log the next time it happens please.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:04 AM, Newfie said:

Ok, @Netduma Fraser second unit where mirror setting can’t be turned off.

wait for Fraser to pop in as you are the second person to have this issue and I think it’s best they run through the trouble shooting.

In my case is the same I can't turn off mirror settings. 

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What happens when you try to do it? What web browser are you using? Also what device are you doing it on?

It doesn't save still showing mirror settings on. Im using Google Chrome on windows 10. Also the update you sent me it didn't improve performance as you recommended I used wifi analyzer throughput is low and signal strength is super bad.  I hope is something that you  guys can fix via firmware update.  I still have the R1 question about beta on R1 I sing up several weeks ago and no beta yet for R1..... wanted to upgrade to xr500 but I wanted to continue supporting you guys, that's why I bought the R2, I was living in Costa Rica before bought the R1 back in 2015 if I'm not mistaken, I live in Florida United States now. 

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, josh200505 said:

It doesn't save still showing mirror settings on. Im using Google Chrome on windows 10. Also the update you sent me it didn't improve performance as you recommended I used wifi analyzer throughput is low and signal strength is super bad.  I hope is something that you  guys can fix via firmware update.  I still have the R1 question about beta on R1 I sing up several weeks ago and no beta yet for R1..... wanted to upgrade to xr500 but I wanted to continue supporting you guys, that's why I bought the R2, I was living in Costa Rica before bought the R1 back in 2015 if I'm not mistaken, I live in Florida United States now. 

What firmware are you on exactly at the moment? The mirror settings is just aesthetic, the purpose of the setting does apply can you can still combine/split the WiFi bands.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What firmware are you on exactly at the moment? The mirror settings is just aesthetic, the purpose of the setting does apply can you can still combine/split the WiFi bands.

I'm in R2 3.0.132