R2 Signal Strength Issue

Netduma Fraser

• Administrators

@Tua PR

13 minutes ago, Tua PR said:

I'm having Signal strength issues and sometimes, old devices wont find the wireless signal.

To put it on perspective, is on par with the R1's WiFi strength wise, but with more devices issues.

Response from dev:

1 minute ago, Netduma Iain said:

Hi Tua PR, Thanks for purchasing the R2. Could you please create a new thread and we'll help you there. Your issue is different to the OP.

@Netduma Anas will access your router and see if he can increase it. Can you please allow "Netduma Tech Support" in the Settings section?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Netduma Anas said:

Thanks for reporting Tua PR. We are expanding the available wifi channels on the next firmware so could you please test in the next firmware on channels 52 - 140 on 5G and let us know if you can see any improvements.

To give you more information. I live in a rural area. Not many or no other signals that can interfere with my Wifi.

I have at least 8-10 devices via wireless. 

My internet plan is 200/20, getting Download is 197mb , Upload 21 in the internal test. 

Speed test, wireless, 1 concrete wall, 20 feet distance, is: 1.94mb download, 3.54mb upload. 

image.png.fa7ecd5a094278ba7720c91045544439.pngimage.png.e9d07bec6faf4eebdbaa242fd2c3c657.pngimage.png.32f1a7ffb21f8ae35ce720e01bd1680b.pngimage.png.fa7ecd5a094278ba7720c91045544439.png

image.png

• Administrators

Thanks for the information, in addition to doing the above could you please change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.4.4.8 as another use confirmed that helped with this. Could you also try a speed test using the latest smart phone you have?

I changed the DNS as recommended, tested on my PC and the speed stills the same.

Tried on my phone and the connection is randomly disconnected 

20200811_151156.jpg

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Would be great if you could turn off mirroring and test on 2.4Ghz and then 5ghz

I tried that too.

When I saved the changes they wont stay selected. I can open another app, return to the "Mirror Settings on both 2.4GHz and 5GHzt" option and its on again.

Never saw 2 SSIDs wifi options when scanned.

• Administrators

It might not resolve the issue but lets try just in case, upgrade to this hotfix firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vklzjkftpdcd01t/DumaOS-R2-RC5-Production-3.0.129-100820.sig?dl=0

To update: Download the file above, open DumaOS, click the three dots in the top right corner, choose update, upload the file you just downloaded, and wait a few minutes while the R2 restarts.

I’m having issues with streaming on my tv and iPhone. Buffering and what not 

And it won’t switch my phone to 5ghz for some reason 

My phone is an iPhone 11 

Got it to switch to 5ghz but had to change  the channel to 153. But now the signal is -85dbm which isn’t very good 

7 hours ago, doylebl39 said:

Got it to switch to 5ghz but had to change  the channel to 153. But now the signal is -85dbm which isn’t very good 

All WiFi has limits, the hardware plays a part as does the environment that the router is placed in.

at -85 on 5Ghz you should be looking at moving to the 2.4 band for better range.

If you are on a one named setup, mirroring for the R2 the iPhone should move over to 2.4 at around 70dbm but and a big but all routers with one named networks that have band steering or smart connect tend to have issues and it’s well known it’s not perfect.

i would separate your networks and then test both 2.4 and 5Ghz. Use an app called WiFi Sweetspots to map your property to find the best area to place the router if possible and you can use it to check the internal connection rate. This app is not a speed test, it’s just able to show your rate of connection from router to device.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Tua PR said:

Internet speeds got a lot better.

Range still a bit weak.

Is your phone able to sustain the connection properly now? If you connect to 5GHz manually with your phone and stand right next to the router, what speeds do you get.

14 hours ago, doylebl39 said:

I’m having issues with streaming on my tv and iPhone. Buffering and what not 

And it won’t switch my phone to 5ghz for some reason 

My phone is an iPhone 11 

2 hours ago, doylebl39 said:

if I add an access point to the netduma r2 will that affect any of its features ? for some reason twitch won't stream on my iphone on 2.4

Disable the mirroring mode and then connect the device to 5GHz manually. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel in your area and change to that.

No it wouldn't, the devices connected to the access point would appear as though they are directly connected to the router and so you can still apply settings to them etc.

5 hours ago, Newfie said:

Are you now able to save the mirroring setting so you can split the channels?

I also can't save the mirror settings to disable the 2.4Ghz channel. I disabled it but when I go back in there it's set to mirror on and 2.4Ghz is enabled. Looking for wifi networks there's only 1 NetdumaR2 available.. i think when I connected to it, it was 5Ghz but later showed 2.4Ghz. I only want 5Ghz. The firmware update didn't fix it.

1 minute ago, johnnytran said:

I also can't save the mirror settings to disable the 2.4Ghz channel. I disabled it but when I go back in there it's set to mirror on and 2.4Ghz is enabled. Looking for wifi networks there's only 1 NetdumaR2 available.. i think when I connected to it, it was 5Ghz but later showed 2.4Ghz. I only want 5Ghz. The firmware update didn't fix it.

Ok, @Netduma Fraser second unit where mirror setting can’t be turned off.

wait for Fraser to pop in as you are the second person to have this issue and I think it’s best they run through the trouble shooting.

• Administrators

Hi everyone, thanks for purchasing the R2. Just a heads up, we're working on a firmware that will give you dynamic wireless information. We should have it available in at most in a couple of days. This firmware will also have more channels for you to choose from. Finally, we'll be able to tweak your power up to the acceptable range.

For the power tweaking we'll do it manually by accessing your router until we've fully resolved the issue then we'll add features on the GUI to control the TX power.

@Netduma Anas will be helping you. Thanks for your patience :)

really happy to hear it. when i bought the router i noticed it said that the wifi would be good for a large home. At this point im having trouble with devices that are only 15 feet away with  no walls. hope the update helps

9 hours ago, Newfie said:

Are you now able to save the mirroring setting so you can split the channels?

No... Every time I change the page, it return to the default mirroring setting.

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, doylebl39 said:

really happy to hear it. when i bought the router i noticed it said that the wifi would be good for a large home. At this point im having trouble with devices that are only 15 feet away with  no walls. hope the update helps

@doylebl39 Could you please enable Settings -> WAN -> General -> Allow Remote Access to Tech Support and send me your public IP on a private message and let me know once ready, Thanks

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Tua PR said:

No... Every time I change the page, it return to the default mirroring setting.

Thanks for that, we will try to reproduce this internally and try to get a fix out quick. Surprised at that as it has been tested thoroughly, what web browser and device/OS do you see it happen on?