Breakthrough connection - Gameplay feels good finally!

Burtchnasty

Like many others, i have struggled quite a bit with the connection in Modern Warfare. Poor HitReg, feeling like my character was always 1 second in front of and behind what i was seeing on screen, regularly connecting to high ping servers (60-100ms) when the closest servers to me in SoCal usually net me 12-19ms. After some reading in here last night, i made a few changes that ended up drastically improving my experience with this game, virtually eliminating all of the above mentioned issues. I played with these new settings for over 2 hours and the results remained consistent. 90% of that gameplay was spent in League play where i really notice my connection. What i did? Disabled QoS features. I run my Geo-Filtering at [2000km, Strict Mode, Ping Assist @35]

Previously, i had the bufferbloat disabled, but was running Bandwidth Allocation settings (Giving my Xbox 60% Down/Up) and Traffic Prioritization w/ DumaOS Classified Games. Attached is a picture of the ports i have forwarded.

My setup 

Modem: Motorola MB8600

Router: Netduma R1

ISP: Cox Fiber 1000 down/35 up 

Console: Xbox OneX w/ a wired connection

Monitor: BenQ XL2411 24” <1ms

I don’t know if this will be a fix for all of you, but I hope it helps. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you might have and i will do my best to answer them. I’m still fairly new to a lot of these settings and what they actually do.

7A983327-F2B2-4287-BA5B-223707C0EF6C.jpeg

It's funny because playing with QoS disabled kind of defeats the purpose of using a DumaOS router (other than using the geofilter) and seems blasphemous, but it actually does make gameplay better for me lol People might say it's placebo too but it's not, I've been playing with it disabled for a while now. I've owned a Netduma since 2016 and yes, I've had amazing games and plenty of nukes with my specific QoS settings, but games just play better for me more consistently with it disabled and I have no clue why. Of course everyone's connection is different, so it's not gonna work for every person, but for me it does 👍  

49 minutes ago, Joe said:

It's funny because playing with QoS disabled kind of defeats the purpose of using a DumaOS router (other than using the geofilter) and seems blasphemous, but it actually does make gameplay better for me lol People might say it's placebo too but it's not, I've been playing with it disabled for a while now. I've owned a Netduma since 2016 and yes, I've had amazing games and plenty of nukes with my specific QoS settings, but games just play better for me more consistently with it disabled and I have no clue why. Of course everyone's connection is different, so it's not gonna work for every person, but for me it does 👍  

Do you have your Anti Bufferbloat on though? is Share Excess ticked or unticked

13 minutes ago, SlingshotGamer said:

Do you have your Anti Bufferbloat on though? is Share Excess ticked or unticked

Share excess is ticked because I never need to touch it. I think bufferbloat is disabled with QoS disabled because it says it disables all QoS features, but I set it to never anyway just in case. 

7 hours ago, Joe said:

It's funny because playing with QoS disabled kind of defeats the purpose of using a DumaOS router (other than using the geofilter) and seems blasphemous, but it actually does make gameplay better for me lol People might say it's placebo too but it's not, I've been playing with it disabled for a while now. I've owned a Netduma since 2016 and yes, I've had amazing games and plenty of nukes with my specific QoS settings, but games just play better for me more consistently with it disabled and I have no clue why. Of course everyone's connection is different, so it's not gonna work for every person, but for me it does 👍  

I'm glad for you if your settup works !! but for me, the geofilter it not a better thing cause I leave far from the server, If I try to force the server just next to me, I not anjoy the game like I play with only MS. I put the circle of the middle of the ocean and I set to 30ms, it is very good in black ops 4 but for MW I do not find a good setting because this game is very unplayable for me.

My appologie for my english, my first langue is French 😅

8 hours ago, DanyKTM said:

I'm glad for you if your settup works !! but for me, the geofilter it not a better thing cause I leave far from the server, If I try to force the server just next to me, I not anjoy the game like I play with only MS. I put the circle of the middle of the ocean and I set to 30ms, it is very good in black ops 4 but for MW I do not find a good setting because this game is very unplayable for me.

My appologie for my english, my first langue is French 😅

MW is bad for me too. I have some decent games but connections are never stable or consistent, even if I'm on a 10 ping server it's still bad. Every other game I play I have no problems, but MW is never consistent no matter how low the ping is. It's just the game's fault. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, Funkybadger said:

You guys are correct disabling qos has changed my cod experience for the better feel like a god 9/10 fights am now winning 

Is it worth buying for geo filter and slow updates no would not recommend 

Do keep in mind you won't have any way to eliminate local congestion should it strike and that could happen anytime you're gaming. Only takes a device to do a background update to cause you to lag. If it works for you then thats great.

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do keep in mind you won't have any way to eliminate local congestion should it strike and that could happen anytime you're gaming. Only takes a device to do a background update to cause you to lag. If it works for you then thats great.

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Maybe it’s all in our heads but for me I noticed a difference 

Is there any reason why the qos would be causing us to have worse games in cod 

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, Funkybadger said:

Maybe it’s all in our heads but for me I noticed a difference 

Is there any reason why the qos would be causing us to have worse games in cod

None specifically that I can think of, gaming doesn't require much bandwidth so as long as you're not throttling too much it'd be fine. If you've add manual traffic prioritization rules and got them wrong then that could impact you.

• Administrators

Do you have DumaOS Classified Games enabled at the same time? If so disable it. That is a workaround but it depends on what else is running on your PC as it may pick up that. Best way would be to use the specific ports that the game uses.