Jump to content
Crysister

Geofilter searching change

Recommended Posts

Starting with a search <58 ms and find matches. After about 25 min it search <42 ms. Buy restarting router gets it back on <58 ms. Something is wrong here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm camping the spainish server and have noticed it sometimes says 'Searching for <42ms' and other times says 'Searching for <58ms'

No idea why theres two different numbers there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 11:15 AM, Crysister said:

Starting with a search <58 ms and find matches. After about 25 min it search <42 ms. Buy restarting router gets it back on <58 ms. Something is wrong here...

Does it say that on the game matchmaking menu? Not sure why it'd be doing that, though it shouldn't impact the performance of the Geo-Filter - with the right settings you should get a server with a lower ping than either of those figures every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same on the SG server.

 

It goes back and forward between the two because your ping is just on the edge. Talking in game ping. The game measures latency every once in a while and bases this figure on that. Nothing to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bert said:

I have the same on the SG server.

 

It goes back and forward between the two because your ping is just on the edge. Talking in game ping. The game measures latency every once in a while and bases this figure on that. Nothing to worry about.

Beside 60 ms ping is closer to 50 ms average ping (aka lag compensation) than 36 ms from <42ms search...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It will also search based upon what servers are available, if there's nothing available within the initial range then it will widen its search.

 

Actually it depends on what servers is available.

 

When you start the game, it tries to ping all the servers. If it finds only one because you use a geofilter, it will just keep looking at that. So when the first ping is say 38ms, it will stay on the 42ms window and it won't expand the search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not been able to get the location geo filter working properly consistently on MW. In the old games you could just pick a radius and it worked perfectly. In this one though I can never find a game based on location, only ping assist. It's frustrating when you want to try and play on different dedis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Corbula said:

I've not been able to get the location geo filter working properly consistently on MW. In the old games you could just pick a radius and it worked perfectly. In this one though I can never find a game based on location, only ping assist. It's frustrating when you want to try and play on different dedis. 

Where is it that you're located and what happens when trying to use the radius?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Where is it that you're located and what happens when trying to use the radius?

I'm in the UK but I move the location around. It just keeps searching for a game and doesn't find one, eventually it creates a lobby with me as the host waiting for other people to join but nobody ever does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's strange, does anything appear on the map in or outside the radius when this happens? If you switch to spectating mode do you get a game and does the server appear on the map?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's strange, does anything appear on the map in or outside the radius when this happens? If you switch to spectating mode do you get a game and does the server appear on the map?

I will take another look but I didn't see anything else appear. I'm on the original firmware so I don't have spectating mode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay interesting, double check, if it's not showing anything at all then that will be why you're not getting a game as it's probably blocking everything. If you can't see anything then flush the cloud by applying it twice in the misclleaneous settings and then hard turn off then on the console and see if it shows icons properly. Also how have you added the console to the Geo-Filter? - With what service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay interesting, double check, if it's not showing anything at all then that will be why you're not getting a game as it's probably blocking everything. If you can't see anything then flush the cloud by applying it twice in the misclleaneous settings and then hard turn off then on the console and see if it shows icons properly. Also how have you added the console to the Geo-Filter? - With what service?

I get a map full of padlocks and yellow warning triangles. I put the radius over the whole of the UK and it couldn't find a game. 

Yes the Ps4 is added to the geo filter and using the playstation network service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you change your Geo-Filter settings when the console is already on or do you have it set prior to turning on the console? You don't see any icons at all within the radius/UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you change your Geo-Filter settings when the console is already on or do you have it set prior to turning on the console? You don't see any icons at all within the radius/UK?

I set the geo filter when the console is on, otherwise I can't talk to anyone in party chat, even if I whitelist them. 

I would have to take a look again but I don't think it shows anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you change your Geo-Filter settings when the console is already on or do you have it set prior to turning on the console? You don't see any icons at all within the radius/UK?

OK so I've just tried it again, I turned on the geo filter and then started the game. 

The first image is when the game 'connecting to online services'. This is the one with the yellow triangles. 

The second image is when it's search for a lobby. It didn't find one, it came up saying searching for a game <15ms then never changed. 

Am I doing something wrong, what should I try? I'm trying to consistently get games on dedis in the hope I will get a better game. 

Screenshot_20200104-131922.jpg

Screenshot_20200104-132106.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I expanded the radius like this, it did actually find a game so I assume my radius was too small, but it was covering the whole of the UK. 

How do people consistently get certain dedis when I have to cover such a large area and all dedis and peers become connectable? 

Screenshot_20200104-132906.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The second image indicates the big circle is the host of your game but this wasn't the case? We do generally recommend a radius of 1000km so yes that could be why but you should be able to get the UK server. It could be changing settings via a mobile browser is not translating over properly as we haven't optimised this, could you try using a PC and see if the experience is any different? Also what cloud versions/options are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The second image indicates the big circle is the host of your game but this wasn't the case? We do generally recommend a radius of 1000km so yes that could be why but you should be able to get the UK server. It could be changing settings via a mobile browser is not translating over properly as we haven't optimised this, could you try using a PC and see if the experience is any different? Also what cloud versions/options are you using?

There wasn't a host no. I will try to change via a PC and see if that makes a difference. 

For the could options, there's only the one option from what I can see. Maybe that's due to being on mobile but I think there's only the one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So you haven't changed any of the numbers for whitelist, game server or map? Is both auto and bleeding edge cloud ticked?

Both auto and bleeding edge are checked. The other 3 options are 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay that's good then. Try on a PC please and provide a full page screenshot even if it looks similar to the above with the map fully zoomed out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay that's good then. Try on a PC please and provide a full page screenshot even if it looks similar to the above with the map fully zoomed out

ok I've just tried it on desktop and it's the same thing. I tried covering just the UK and Ireland, I didn't know if this was the one you wanted me to try.

The first image with the yellow triangles was when it was 'connecting to online services'.

The second one is when it was searching for a game, which it didn't find. 

I can increase the radius to around 1000 and it will find a game but then you're getting everyone in that area. How are people finding and connecting to certain dedis, for example the Spain one and have such a small radius?

Geo filter desktop.png

geo filter searching for a game.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...