Xbox One X & Party Chat

TODDzillaInLA

@Netduma Fraser with the screenshot above I will breakdown what is taking place.. I live in Mn. My Teredo address is pushing me to Texas. But then im relayed backup to Iowa then from there over to Chicago then for some real crazy reason out to California. The game is for all practical purposes unplayable.. Its the most odd thing ive ever seen. It really all starts with my Teredo address being down in Texas. Ones Teredo address should be to the closest server one lives by or basically to the server with the lowest ping. From what ive noticed is MS is constantly changing the location of Teredo ip address. Heres an example. One night everything played well. And my Teredo address was in the Iowa location. Perfect! The very next night it now was down in Texas. Not perfect because I ping down to Texas at about 58-60ms. Iowa and Chicago im pinging at 23-36ms. And all the games I play are in my radius.. But once that Teredo is outside my range things go crazy. I did verify my Teredo ip address ping. And all pinged correct for there location. Even when I allow the Teredo server down in Texas all im doing is adding latency. Hope this makes somewhat sense.

Fraser I also was going to ask you if we have access to the firewall? MS states that most router firewalls don't recognize inbound traffic properly coming from a tunneled port and I need to allow all inbound traffic from port 3544 UDP. Also the way I understand it is those that are IPv6 also need to enable ICMP IPv6. that is so the correct mtu value can be set for the tunneled port 3544. Which I believe most tunneled ports use a mtu value of 1280. 

Anyway let me know your thoughts!

Thanks! 

Zippy.

• Administrators

The teredo location shouldn't have an impact on your connection quality as it should only be used to test NAT so that's already a bit strange. From your screenshot you have a server you're connecting to outside your radius but you have filtering mode on, did you switch to filtering mode once the console was already on? It's possible that the cloud update might help with this situation.

No there is no access to the firewall unfortunately but if the XR is in the DMZ of the ISP router or connected to a modem then this shouldn't be an issue, you could port forward that to the console though as you can specificy the incoming port. The minimum MTU for PPPoE would be 1280 but still recommended to keep it on the default 1500.

On 1/11/2020 at 7:33 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

The teredo location shouldn't have an impact on your connection quality as it should only be used to test NAT so that's already a bit strange. From your screenshot you have a server you're connecting to outside your radius but you have filtering mode on, did you switch to filtering mode once the console was already on? It's possible that the cloud update might help with this situation.

No there is no access to the firewall unfortunately but if the XR is in the DMZ of the ISP router or connected to a modem then this shouldn't be an issue, you could port forward that to the console though as you can specificy the incoming port. The minimum MTU for PPPoE would be 1280 but still recommended to keep it on the default 1500.

Thanks Fraser for your reply. I will try this again and see if the cloud update has improved anything for me.

That is unfortunate that we don't have some access to this. Most automatic firewalls are really problematic when it comes to identifying traffic correctly. Specially inbound..

As far as the mtu. What I was talking about there was the mtu value for tunneling. Not the base set mtu of the router. If the firewall doesn't allow external hosts to ping internal hosts then one might get inconsistent game play. IPv6 relies on this completely in order to set the tunnel mtu. IPv4 sends a message back stating the packets are to large. While IPv6 doesn't. IPv6 just drops the packets without sending any info back letting one know that the tunneled mtu is to big. So that is why I asked about the firewall access. So now I understand why you say to put the Xbox in the DMZ of the XR500. Hopefully every ones party chat is working better now after this cloud update!

I hope you guys at Netduma are being proactive on IPv6. I know most think of it as the devil. But it is the present and future. Even though most of the IPv6 settings are up to Netgear I just hope you guys can make your OS work with both.

Thanks!

Zippy.

Tonight after work I’ll reconnect my r1 and test it. The bad part is the r1 does not support my bandwidth speed and with dumaOS there’s no more preemptive & reactive settings. I first ran into this issue last year when I upgraded to Soectrum 400/20 snow I have fios gigabit And with the sliders at 100% when I do speed test it’s only at 200 something mb.

10 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Update probably going out today unless we run into any errors.

This update will be the first of many more frequent updates. We're using a new system to relocate servers which is muuuch easier to use.

I will test it and post as soon is out if the chat is working again. Thanks

Is there anything I should do like reset the router or flush the cloud? Game play was really bad last night I ended up setting my home pin to the middle of the pacific and ping assist to 30 also home circle was at 311 miles game play was enjoyable ping 12 to no higher then 23. With geo filter enabled or disable I couldn’t get a decent game. Ping was 70+

It's not a firmware update, it's a cloud update.

Cloud updates are downloaded automatically by your router every day. If you want to make sure, you can press the FLUSH CLOUD button on the Geo-Filter.

This will produce an "operation took longer than expected" error, but you can ignore this and refresh the page. Your cloud will now be up to date.

Just got home, turned on my xbox one x, there was a system update. after xbox booted back up started a party chat and it does not work again. people cant hear me i can no hear them but it allows me to connect to the party chat. i tried flushing the cloud it did not do anything

4 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

Just got home, turned on my xbox one x, there was a system update. after xbox booted back up started a party chat and it does not work again. people cant hear me i can no hear them but it allows me to connect to the party chat. i tried flushing the cloud it did not do anything

Ok Xbox party chat still not working. Darn.

Looks like PSN party chat might be working now though so that's progress.

I'll look into why the Xbox party chat is being problematic. I imagine we just need to whitelist some Microsoft servers.

something really weird going on with the new update from xbox. don't know if its the update or the r1 but streaming is really bad plays first couple seconds then connection dies. unplug r1 plug xbox straight into frontier router and everything works fine and fast

just connected r1 to my xbox in another room that is not on preview program. everything work fine. party chat and streaming. guess its something in the new update. but why does it only affect the duma device? could of something in the cloud update from the other night got removed by accident?

3 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Sorry, must have missed this one on Friday. 

I'll update our Xbox to the preview program and see if we can recreate the issue.

I have 3, 2 are in the preview program. On is a X the other is a S. Then the 3rd Xbox I have not in the program is a S. Everything works fine on that S

19 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

I have 3, 2 are in the preview program. On is a X the other is a S. Then the 3rd Xbox I have not in the program is a S. Everything works fine on that S

That does seem to suggest that the preview program is the common issue.