Spam in Forum and Email

Alex49H

Can I nominate myself for the overnight forum moderator? If not good luck with the last spam posting Crossy lol 18 pages of spam as of right now in the General forum

• Administrators

Thanks to Senor Crossy we think we've now blocked the IP doing all of the spamming. We'll also look into improving our spam controls on here. Unfortunately there's always a risk that by giving a genuine user a quick sign up process you open the door to spambots.  

Was everyone getting a tonne of emails in their inbox too? Didn't happen to me for some reason.

• Administrators

more coming in right now

Indeed! I spoke to soon. Looks like we need to add a few more IP addresses to the blocked list.

• Administrators

We've just significantly bumped up the spam prevention tools with hopefully no impact on genuine users. I won't promise that his will full sole the problem, but it should mean we don't get a wave of spamming like the last few hours.

Thanks for being so patient about this everyone

We've just significantly bumped up the spam prevention tools with hopefully no impact on genuine users. I won't promise that his will full sole the problem, but it should mean we don't get a wave of spamming like the last few hours.

Thanks for being so patient about this everyone

I don't think it helped...

• Administrators

Ive just seen nearly 10 posts that Ive just cleaned a min ago all by the same spammer luckly, so its still going on.

I don't think it helped...

We're getting most of them but a couple have unfortunately got through. I've ramped the anti-spam rules up even further. Man the walls lads!

doc8macprvogmb1lzo0k.jpg

I don't think making it a bit more difficult to sign up is an issue.

What is the current run rate of user sign up on a daily basis? Only asking as it may be worth having to approve a new sign up.

• Administrators

I don't think making it a bit more difficult to sign up is an issue.

What is the current run rate of user sign up on a daily basis? Only asking as it may be worth having to approve a new sign up.

It's a good idea but we actually get around 10-20 a day of genuine users so it would be too time consuming.

There are some settings in the admin panel that look like they should do the job but I can't promise unfortunately!

We're getting most of them but a couple have unfortunately got through. I've ramped the anti-spam rules up even further. Man the walls lads!

Back to the spam all night long again... From a web developer, turn off all social network logins/sign ups. Most of the spam comes from there, also you can require a math problem to prove you're human but that adds to the sign up process. If you want to keep sign ups simple... Turn the cloudflare setting to "I'm under attack!!!" and that should solve it lol

• Netduma Staff

Back to the spam all night long again... From a web developer, turn off all social network logins/sign ups. Most of the spam comes from there, also you can require a math problem to prove you're human but that adds to the sign up process. If you want to keep sign ups simple... Turn the cloudflare setting to "I'm under attack!!!" and that should solve it lol

There is already a captcha for sign up. These sign ups are either Twitter bots using the Twitter login or a Human is solving the Captcha. Both of the accounts that spammed today had used Twitter to login - so I agree, that option should be removed if possible :)

There is already a captcha for sign up. These sign ups are either Twitter bots using the Twitter login or a Human is solving the Captcha. Both of the accounts that spammed today had used Twitter to login - so I agree, that option should be removed if possible :)

I had a website that used social logins and I got nothing but hundreds of chinese bots ruining my site. Turned it off and it stopped immediately.... As for the captcha I didn't mean something like what's there. For example, on the script for phpfox they have an option for sign up that the user has to answer a question. What color is the sky? The only accepted answer is "blue" and a bot can't figure that out, at least I hope not yet or we are in trouble lol

• Administrators

I had a website that used social logins and I got nothing but hundreds of chinese bots ruining my site. Turned it off and it stopped immediately.... As for the captcha I didn't mean something like what's there. For example, on the script for phpfox they have an option for sign up that the user has to answer a question. What color is the sky? The only accepted answer is "blue" and a bot can't figure that out, at least I hope not yet or we are in trouble lol

I had actually done the question and answer last night being If the time is now 13:30 what time will it be in 45 minutes? Thought that would stump some bots. I've turned off Twitter registration now, I hope that doesn't impact any genuine members who actually sign in that way currently!

Add a hidden field to the registration form and set its ID to like id="name", the spam bots will attempt to fill it in, then you'll have a script which, if that hidden field is filled in, it blocks the sign-up.

Archived