Scuf controllers

bagsta69

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Netduma Staff

I guess I am kind of taking back the recommendation, but I wouldn't not recommend one either, they have their + and -. When it is intact, it works great and I would still buy one. But they changed 3 things on my controller: added two paddles and made one thumb stick longer. 1/3 of the controller is now defective. So if you know that you're probably going to have to send it back to get repaired then I'd say get one cause they work well. But if you want a quality built controller thats going to last a while - look for something else :)

All great information chaps, I may get back to yall when it is time to order to try and help me get shit sorted as I know what I want button wise but on the website it might as well be in Flemish to me. lol. Unless the remap option allows you to set whatever you want to whatever you want.

Bagsta - If you can wait a couple of days, I am going to be doing a review of my Battle Creek Custom going against my Scuf XB1 from a user/gamer perspective.

I haven't played a game with the BBC yet, but I already like the way it feels in my hands as opposed to the Scuf variant.  I need to play a few games to test it it out, but the BBC had a couple of cool features that I think will help me out with my thumb issue and I honestly believe is a better value right now.

As for the MSFT version.  It will be about $150 and comes with several cool features.  I haven't gotten a chance to hold it yet, but I know that the underside buttons are going to be very soft and easy to press.  For me, that is going to be a problem because I use mine for jump and knife.  I don't want to lightly brush the button and get myself killed just from a random finger movement for comfort.

Anyways, if you need an answer now, I am going to vote for BBC.  Their service, time to build and final product "APPEAR" to be better, but as I said, I am in the process of preparing my review and need some more time to make accurate claims.

JD

Bags,IMO the scuf's are nice but I trashed mine within 8 months.I'm really hard on controllers,big hands.Both of my analog sticks are smashed completely forward,so I'm moving forward constantly.I know they use a regulation PS controller for the builds but never the less,it's useless until I figure out a way to fix the sticks. 

Hmmmmm I know what you mean about the sticks, I mashed mine with a great big groove in the front edge of one constantly leaning forward on it on my PS3. Maybe they should make em out of some sort of alloy

Another piece of info for you guys.  Both the new MSFT controller and the current Battle Beaver Customs for XB1 have the option for aluminum turned sticks instead of plastic.  

Now I think Vanilla Gorilla up there is talking about his soul crushing force damaging the internals of the controller, to which I can't speak in relation to the sticks themselves, but if the stick was a concern, you can add aluminum sticks in cool colors to the BBC.   The new MSFT ELITE variant will come with (3) different height sticks that can be changed and are SUPPOSED to be made from aluminum.

As luck would have it, I do have a brand new Scuf for the PS3 I can photo as well to give you a little idea of real estate and lever placement.

Haven't decided on the PS4 choice yet. Still thinking about it.....

So are these scut controllers really worth the money and how long does it take to adjust to them.

Also for playing fps games what do people think the best options are?

mouse and keyboard is the best option

if it really needs to be a controller id wait for that Xbox Elite controller, seems to be a scuf for almost half the money

a cheap adapter will make it compatible for your PS4

Hmmmmm I know what you mean about the sticks, I mashed mine with a great big groove in the front edge of one constantly leaning forward on it on my PS3. Maybe they should make em out of some sort of alloy

Hi bagsta, have a look at getting some of these for your PS4.

http://battlebeavercustoms.com/collections/ps4-thumbsticks/products/ps4-domed-style-replacement-thumbsticks

They're much more comfortable than the stock PS4 thumb sticks and feel like a taller version of the PS2/PS3's sticks. They're easy to install and make a noticeable difference. 

I used to use KontrolFreeks but these Battle Beaver sticks are the same-ish height as my stock PS4 sticks with the CQQ Freeks attached.

Hi bagsta, have a look at getting some of these for your PS4.

http://battlebeavercustoms.com/collections/ps4-thumbsticks/products/ps4-domed-style-replacement-thumbsticks

They're much more comfortable than the stock PS4 thumb sticks and feel like a taller version of the PS2/PS3's sticks. They're easy to install and make a noticeable difference. 

I used to use KontrolFreeks but these Battle Beaver sticks are the same-ish height as my stock PS4 sticks with the CQQ Freeks attached.

I have a tall control freak on my right thumb stick,I find it works well for me :)

Hey Bags, this is your thread, so I want to tailor the first part of the controller review to help with this request and build on it as I get more exposure to using them.  I am playing a lot of 360 right now as I don't have a good game I want to grind on XB1.

What would be the most beneficial in helping your decision making progress?  Customer Sales experience, quality of the build (how does it feel when in your hands), visuals of the products side-by-side, or game play impressions?

Here are a couple of shots for you.  The Battle Beaver on the Left, the Scuf XB1 in the center and the Scuf PS3 version on the right.

BB_Scuf_Xb1_PS3.jpg

This shows the angles where the activation for the buttons on the underside are placed.  I personally feel that the placement of the BB is better and feels more "natural" in the way I grip the controller.

Underneath_buttons.jpg

This is one of 3 features where I feel the Battle Beaver is a superior product.  I upgraded to the optional turned aluminum sticks as opposed to the standard plastic.  In addition, Battle Beaver will lighten, match, or increase the tension needed to move the sticks.  After a discussion with one of the very helpful team members at BB, I opted to get a super high tension for my right thumb, and match the tension of the 360 remote for the left stick.  This is beneficial because the new XB1 controllers have a tension that is only about 60% of the weight of the 360.  

Stick_Detail_2.jpg

More to follow if needed or if questions.

To me the buttons are placed well on the Xbox controller but I prefer the ps controller, if the buttons were placed in a similar place on a ps controller that would be great, I'm thinking for jump on one and maybe crouch on the other

Build quality and customer service are always important

To me the buttons are placed well on the Xbox controller but I prefer the ps controller, if the buttons were placed in a similar place on a ps controller that would be great, I'm thinking for jump on one and maybe crouch on the other

Build quality and customer service are always important

Here's a pic of me holding the PS3 version from Scuf and how it fits with my normal grip.  I don't know if this helps with your question or not.

PS3_Engaged.jpg

Quality on the Scuf has been decent.  I have had slight problems here and there, nothing that stopped me from buying another one prior to the big phase out.  Quality FEELS better overall on the Battle Beaver version, but game play will be the ultimate judge I suspect.

Cheers for that mate :)

No problem.  As far as turn around from order to holding the controller, Battle Beaver blew the doors off Scuf in a head to head on my recent order.  Granted, my Scuf order was complex in that I ordered an XB1 AND a PS3 controller on the same order, but the problems compounded the moment "Customer Service" got involved.   :(

Advantage: Battle Beaver Customs

^^  Cool video.  He knows what he is doing, but he is talking about adding the under-body buttons.  Without watching the others, I don't know if he also has plans to "short throw" the triggers (somehow) or not.  One of the main reasons the Scuf's exploded on the scene was the short trigger pull and the proliferation of burst weapons (like the Swat & M8A1 in Black Ops 2) for League/Competitive play. 

Dammit Dillinger why didn't you post this before I ordered another scuf for my PS4  :D  Should be getting it any day 

So since you've played with both the scuf and the BB,in your opinion the BB is better hands down correct ?

And how did you lay the buttons out on it and also how does it play in game ?

I know lots of questions but now I'm really interested in the BB,actually thought they only made them for XBOX not both systems.

Dammit Dillinger why didn't you post this before I ordered another scuf for my PS4  :D  Should be getting it any day 

So since you've played with both the scuf and the BB,in your opinion the BB is better hands down correct ?

And how did you lay the buttons out on it and also how does it play in game ?

I know lots of questions but now I'm really interested in the BB,actually thought they only made them for XBOX not both systems.

@ Fuzzy - Apologies My Liege, I have been working on a write up review of the entire experience from a Scuf owner's perspective, but these inquiries have been blowing up lately and I haven't finished.  I will do a better job of putting thought to keyboard, just keep that big Vanilla Gorilla power grip away from me.   :huh:  <_<

CAVEAT:  I haven't gamed with the Battle Beaver controller yet.  I don't play AW, and I only have an XB1 version of the Battle Beaver (if they start selling 360 versions, I am buying (3) of them).  I see now I have to get back on AW and get some real world use time in.  I promise to do that shortly.  

Can one of you slayers send me a couple of good rushing sub and AR classes, with perks and attachments, as my meta game for AW is shit right now please?

Opinion:  I personally feel that the layout and the equipment used to build the Battle Beaver is of a higher quality than the Scuf's I have been using for 3 years now.  The customer service was awesome and the time for construction to being "in my hands" was a little over 9 days (I think), but was definitely less than 2 weeks.  That is "order submitted" => to "in my hands", so an impressive turn around WITHOUT buying any upgraded build time or fancy shipping.

The bottom button layout is more conducive to holding the unit and the buttons themselves seem to be right where my middle fingers rest naturally. They feel smooth and easy to activate (I will test that shortly).  

The turned aluminum sticks (an upgrade feature) are WAY better than the cheap plastic shit that MSFT/PS and Scuf (by proxy) are using for their sticks.  In addition, Battle Beaver will add or reduce tension depending on how you like the play to be.  I have a problem with my right thumb (its been dislocated a ton of times, I have a deadspot in my aim), but in talking with the extremely helpful guy from Battle Beaver, he suggested I run a high tension right stick (so it takes more force to move it), with a normal Xbox 360 tensioned left.  I am anxious to try this out now that I am typing it out, so I think I will be testing that tonight.

Triggers:  I need to test this.  I REALLY like the SmartTrigger that Battle Beaver uses.  In a side by side comparison the Battle Beaver "seems to be" about half the creep of the travel of the XB1 Scuf trigger.  Both are "advanced. shoot first for CoD/Battlefield" style triggers that don't work on other games like Army of Two and Red Dead Redemption, so we are comparing like offerings here.  The SmartTrigger from Battle Beaver is very, very short and crisp.  I need to check it, but I suspect it will fire faster, so if you use burst weapons, (I do on my AR's) this is something to factor in.

Options:  They are even.  Both companies offer tons of camos and accessories that you may, or may not, need.  I got a really cool flat cable for charging from Battle Beaver that doesn't coil around itself, but I suspect Scuf has something similar if you look.

Layout:  I play Tactical.  Underneath left button is Jump.  Hit the button, pull on the stick, all the same hand, bunny hop and keep moving.  Right button is panic knife.  I may look at re-mapping this for Black Ops 3 as there is no more "one hit melee" attacks without having a knife or axe equipped.

BB_Scuf_Xb1_PS3.jpg

BB_In_Use.jpg

Stick_Detail_2.jpg

Underneath_buttons.jpg

Thanks for the info bro,damn I'm really curious as to how your gaming goes with it.Please keep us posted as that might be my next purchase.Ah I can hear Mrs. Fuzzy now "you just got a brand new controller,how many can you play with at one time"    :D

Thanks for the info bro,damn I'm really curious as to how your gaming goes with it.Please keep us posted as that might be my next purchase.Ah I can hear Mrs. Fuzzy now "you just got a brand new controller,how many can you play with at one time"    :D

Damn it, I know I am going to regret this, but I WILL play some AW tonight.  After I download about 5gigs of patches and updates.   <_<

ASSISTANCE REQUESTED:  Okay AW Slayers, I need a couple of good classes.  I think I have about 6 hours played and probably only have about level 20-22 or so unlocked for perks and attachments.  

Archived