Scuf controllers

bagsta69

Those are sweet, I'll be ordering some for sure!

I bought 1 and did it on the first shot. I've been modding some controllers locally - I got 5 more on a best offer and bought one of the Re-programmable ones as well.  I was going to order a reprogrammable one for Xbox one as well, but waiting to sell a few more controller to my buddies.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the Xbox one and PS4 Controllers I made.

The PS4 controller is a Custom white gloss shell with Black Hardware (stock hardware) (ebay)
I added trigger stops.
Inside I did a programmable remapping (so my paddles and buttons can be set to anything I want - and change them when I want).

The Xbox one controller.
Custom Hydropdipped shell (ebay)

Programmable remap board to allow me to program my paddles like the PS4 controller (just got the chip today - and installed it works great)
7 color changeable thumbsticks lights (leds). Got them through the same guy on ebay but had to buy them direct from him. $32
I installed trigger stop screws on the sides.
All the paddles are from the same ebay guy. There really nice - just as good as scuf - if not better. They will never break.
Custom AW button on controller also bought on ebay. $15
Changed the stock white LED for RED on the Guide button.
Took me about 2 hours to build. - Much more customized than the PS4 controller but both work great.

1438101330-U3558.jpg

1438101310-U3558.jpg

1438101294-U3558.jpg

1438101279-U3558.jpg

1438101237-U3558.jpg

1438101226-U3558.jpg

1438101211-U3558.jpg

1438101200-U3558.jpg

1438101188-U3558.jpg

1438101169-U3558.jpg

this is turelly some nice work you have done on those controllers..

this is turelly some nice work you have done on those controllers..

Thanks...

Was not all that hard.

I followed a video tutorial and only spent about $100 on parts.

The Programmable chips alone were $80 - but still that is less than what scuf charges for re-mappable tech on a single controller. 

The Programmable chip for Xbox one was easy to install..  Took 10 mins, but it was all soldering. But still easy.  The chip I saw on teh video the guy had looked difficult to install, but when I went to ebay he had a easier version with a PCB board that was lay on and solder.  Only had to solder a few wires not a whole bunch. 

The shell change was difficult on Xbox one.. Not that it was hard - just many screws to change everything out.  

The LED change was easy.

All the other stuff was easy too... 

The PS4 controller with the programmable chip was SO SIMPLE. - Almost as simple as the EZ remap board.

Lay it in, solder a wire from R3 to the R3 point. The L3 point was an EZ connection and a wire to the ribbon cable leg socket.

After that, just 2 wires from MAP1 points to the tact and then again for MAP 2,3 and 4. 

Took maybe 30 mins tops.  

The glue drying took longer than all the soldering. 

I built another clone to the White PS4 controller with just 2 hard maps X and O and 2 paddles parts were only $30 bux.  I got an EZ remap board for $15 and the paddles were $13.

Took about 15 mins tops to build the controller. Opened it. Inserted the remap board (took 1 whole minute to do). Soldered 4 wires to the board and then drilled my tacts.  Glued them in - took about 10 mins to dry.  Soldered my 4 wires to the 2 tacts. Close the controller up. Laid the paddles across the tacts and the shell. Used my soldering iron and burned pilot holes through the mounting holes of the paddles . TOok my TAP and tapped each hole and screwed in my 2 paddles and DONE!  Took no time at all. 

That is impressive. Mt slef i work in workshop where we have all off the equpment to do that. I sloder stuff on a daily basis.

I have 2 spare ps4 stock controllers i may play with them one day. As right now i am waiting for my BBC controller to arive.

Ok guys will see whaat comes out of it my BBC controler had been shipped firday for TEXAS will have it next week i think.

Also a uestio USPS.COM is a national mail service and are they any good?

Ok guys will see whaat comes out of it my BBC controler had been shipped firday for TEXAS will have it next week i think.

Also a uestio USPS.COM is a national mail service and are they any good?

USPS is decent. 99% chance they will get there,

They loose about 1 package a year on me.  I ship about 1000 packages a year.

Well if Bbbc suites me better then i will have a 5 months old scuff well will have to sell is smowhere.

How long before you get yours Lukasz?  I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.  And that damn Gorilla is still wandering the halls here bitching about having to try them out, so it will add a little salt to his wounds. :P

Well i dont know they had shipped it on friday afternon i assume if customs are all good then maybe wensday....

Though i just realise that i would probably have to pay duites and taxes on in come...

• Netduma Staff

Well i dont know they had shipped it on friday afternon i assume if customs are all good then maybe wensday....

Though i just realise that i would probably have to pay duites and taxes on in come...

Scuf have a place in the UK I think. Or at least when I rang the EU line to ask where mine was, it was someone from the UK who picked up :)

Yebs in linconsh its scuff office but i got the BBC controller budy.

I have always been a modder.  My first mod was a Modchip on the PS1 - though I did own devices for genesis and SNES for Floppy discs but I never had to solder anything with those.

Once online gaming came out, I have been modding controller for rapid fire and button duplication since Xbox and PS2.

I find it funny the cycle of modding for controller - hence I build my own. 

Button duplication is nothing new.  Adding another A or B button to the back of the controller or to the Grip of the controller is nothing new and people have been doing it for years.

I remember my dad back int he 80's drilled a hole on the other side of the controller and just duplicated the fire button so my left anded brother could play more easily. That was a very simple Atari Controller stick.

Perhaps that is my first memory of modding. 

Anyways... Rapid fire and shell kits have been around for years with the ONLINE AGE of consoles (xbox/PS2 then continues to PS3/360 and this generation). I remember using a 4077 circuit to make a dropshot button.  Since you cant duplicate a trigger and the B button to a single button, a simple 4077 was all that was needed.  I was making rapid fire controllers for people and I even did it on line for awhile.  Then the market became saturated with every kid looking to make a $5 profit and basically I stopped.

Scuf amazes me.  I give them props for ONE THING.. having enough money to market something that has been around before they existed.

They created NOTHING NEW.. Trigger stops.. DO a search on google. I have videos on you tube that date back to 2008 for 360 for stopping the triggers for faster fire rates.

Button duplication? Really They invented that.. I doubt it.  Putting a paddle over a tact button? Really?  SO basically the tact button cap (which you can buy for like .01 cents each (which is what BBC uses). IS nothing more than a paddle.  SO they extended the cap to be long and just screwed it in at one end..  UGH so innovate (sarcasm).  I am not going to get into the patent issues with scuf because there are on going cases and honestly the paddle patent should be overturned.  A long leaf tact switch is a mechanism which is a paddle over a tact button, it existed about 20 years before scuf did it.  When I was putting duplicate buttons on Xbox one and PS2 controllers I had giant plastic covers on them to push on so you didn't have to push on that tiny tact.   

Then you have Evil controllers (I give tyhem props) - they also decided to invest big money to make modded controllers (but rapid fire - cheating as some would say) popular, but they also did cool ascetic mads as well.  Not really something they came up with, they basically bought a huge selection of colors and styles (hydrodipped and such) and gave people a million and one ways to customize a controller.  

Now you got Scuf, Cinch, BBC, SharQ, Geniusmods, Evilcontrollers, Quickdrawmods, and a ton of other companies making controllers...

Everyone does the same things. (sure I give scuf a small but of credit for making this generation PS4 and XB1 custom back covers where there not drilling the shells, but everyone on that list above all offers the same thing.  They offer a tact button that duplicates a button and a screw of some kind to do a trigger stop.

Now I am glad someone like Microsoft decided to make a Professional controller like the elite controller.

I have used Scuf, CINCH, BBC and others above.  There all the same.

There is nothing special about any of them.  

Every company except scuf is using Large tacts or, or standard tacts with covers.  

Some companies are making their own paddle, some are making different shapes and ways of pushing the button.

No one has anything really that great.

$200!! for a controller that some guy - like me - or you- builds in his garage.

I am sorry - and I understand people need to get paid for their time and not everyone is handy with tools. 

But there has to be a better way.

That is why I like sellers like the guy I mentioned a few posts back. I buy parts for a cheap price and make my own.

To mod a PS4 controller with a simple A/B remap (no scraping the board) cost $15!! That is better than paying someone $50+ to mail in your controller and have them do it.

It really is super simple.  a Drill 2 holes and 2 tacts. Some glue.. Let it dry. Solder 2 wires to each tact and then to the Board for PS4 or the Connectors on the Xbox one board and done.

With Xbox one controllers it should cost no more than $2 to add remaps to your controller.  Tacts are like .25 each.  Some Wire and some solder and 15 mins.

Thats my rant...  i just wanted to share.  

• Netduma Staff

I have always been a modder.  My first mod was a Modchip on the PS1 - though I did own devices for genesis and SNES for Floppy discs but I never had to solder anything with those.

Once online gaming came out, I have been modding controller for rapid fire and button duplication since Xbox and PS2.

I find it funny the cycle of modding for controller - hence I build my own. 

Button duplication is nothing new.  Adding another A or B button to the back of the controller or to the Grip of the controller is nothing new and people have been doing it for years.

I remember my dad back int he 80's drilled a hole on the other side of the controller and just duplicated the fire button so my left anded brother could play more easily. That was a very simple Atari Controller stick.

Perhaps that is my first memory of modding. 

Anyways... Rapid fire and shell kits have been around for years with the ONLINE AGE of consoles (xbox/PS2 then continues to PS3/360 and this generation). I remember using a 4077 circuit to make a dropshot button.  Since you cant duplicate a trigger and the B button to a single button, a simple 4077 was all that was needed.  I was making rapid fire controllers for people and I even did it on line for awhile.  Then the market became saturated with every kid looking to make a $5 profit and basically I stopped.

Scuf amazes me.  I give them props for ONE THING.. having enough money to market something that has been around before they existed.

They created NOTHING NEW.. Trigger stops.. DO a search on google. I have videos on you tube that date back to 2008 for 360 for stopping the triggers for faster fire rates.

Button duplication? Really They invented that.. I doubt it.  Putting a paddle over a tact button? Really?  SO basically the tact button cap (which you can buy for like .01 cents each (which is what BBC uses). IS nothing more than a paddle.  SO they extended the cap to be long and just screwed it in at one end..  UGH so innovate (sarcasm).  I am not going to get into the patent issues with scuf because there are on going cases and honestly the paddle patent should be overturned.  A long leaf tact switch is a mechanism which is a paddle over a tact button, it existed about 20 years before scuf did it.  When I was putting duplicate buttons on Xbox one and PS2 controllers I had giant plastic covers on them to push on so you didn't have to push on that tiny tact.   

Then you have Evil controllers (I give tyhem props) - they also decided to invest big money to make modded controllers (but rapid fire - cheating as some would say) popular, but they also did cool ascetic mads as well.  Not really something they came up with, they basically bought a huge selection of colors and styles (hydrodipped and such) and gave people a million and one ways to customize a controller.  

Now you got Scuf, Cinch, BBC, SharQ, Geniusmods, Evilcontrollers, Quickdrawmods, and a ton of other companies making controllers...

Everyone does the same things. (sure I give scuf a small but of credit for making this generation PS4 and XB1 custom back covers where there not drilling the shells, but everyone on that list above all offers the same thing.  They offer a tact button that duplicates a button and a screw of some kind to do a trigger stop.

Now I am glad someone like Microsoft decided to make a Professional controller like the elite controller.

I have used Scuf, CINCH, BBC and others above.  There all the same.

There is nothing special about any of them.  

Every company except scuf is using Large tacts or, or standard tacts with covers.  

Some companies are making their own paddle, some are making different shapes and ways of pushing the button.

No one has anything really that great.

$200!! for a controller that some guy - like me - or you- builds in his garage.

I am sorry - and I understand people need to get paid for their time and not everyone is handy with tools. 

But there has to be a better way.

That is why I like sellers like the guy I mentioned a few posts back. I buy parts for a cheap price and make my own.

To mod a PS4 controller with a simple A/B remap (no scraping the board) cost $15!! That is better than paying someone $50+ to mail in your controller and have them do it.

It really is super simple.  a Drill 2 holes and 2 tacts. Some glue.. Let it dry. Solder 2 wires to each tact and then to the Board for PS4 or the Connectors on the Xbox one board and done.

With Xbox one controllers it should cost no more than $2 to add remaps to your controller.  Tacts are like .25 each.  Some Wire and some solder and 15 mins.

Thats my rant...  i just wanted to share.  

Call me an idiot, but I tried that with my old PS4 controller and broke it :(

Call me an idiot, but I tried that with my old PS4 controller and broke it :(

Not at all.. Scraping the VIAs on the PS4 controller is very hard unless your good at it. I can understand if you broke it. Even after 20 years of modding those vias are so small on that board that I can't even do it anymore (my eyes are going bad)

Look at the EZ board I posted.  There $15 and they make it super simple to solder. You can't mess up the ps4 controller.

Worst thing you can do is mess up the remap board and it comes right out and the controller is unmolested.

Sure it is a waste of $15 if you screw it up. But it makes it super simple.  To be honest it is very hard to screw up. (unless you iron is too hot)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301481981148?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1587.l2649

1438471556-U3558.jpg

• Netduma Staff

Not at all.. Scraping the VIAs on the PS4 controller is very hard unless your good at it.

Look at the EZ board I posted.  There $15 and they make it super simple to solder. You can't mess up the ps4 controller.

Worst thing you can do is mess up the remap board and it comes right out and the controller is unmolested.

Sure it is a waste of $15 if you screw it up. But it makes it super simple.  To be honest it is very hard to screw up. (unless you iron is too hot)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301481981148?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1587.l2649

1438471556-U3558.jpg

Yep, after I tried scraping the board on my PS4 controller none of the buttons worked :D I think when my Scuf dies I will do my own as it doesn't seam to difficult with that re-map board.

Yep, after I tried scraping the board on my PS4 controller none of the buttons worked :D I think when my Scuf dies I will do my own as it doesn't seam to difficult with that re-map board.

MY guess is one of a few things happened.

When you scraped the VIA you dislodged it (it is a 4 layer board). or you cut the tracer going to the via accidentally. 

Lastly when soldering to the scraped via, you could have accidentally micro-soldered to another exposed tracer since they are right next to each other. 

That can cause a short and screw up all the buttons.

I scraped ONE PS4 controller and it took like 2 hours to get it right.  I was satisfied and tried to do another and KIlled it like you did.

I was able to resurrect it with some desolder braid and flux but it never got modded, just closed back up.

I didn't mod another PS4 controller until I got that board.

He also has one that is PROGRAMMABLE - where you can program your remaps to any button.  

I bought one of those it's amazing!!!

I am going to try to make an arcade stick using one of these boards too..

Takes minutes to mod with this board.

I still prefer Xbox one. . Remapping is simple. Easy to reach solder points.

What would you say about smart trigers that is different form traditional trigger stops and also what would you say about increasing tention on sticks?

What would you say about smart trigers that is different form traditional trigger stops and also what would you say about increasing tention on sticks?

I would say they are also copied from another company.

I found this from 2 years ago.

He calls them internal trigger stops.

BTW this company sucks. Over priced, Bad customer service, owner is a total douche, but that is besides the point.

Smart Triggers are another "OLD" Concept given a new name and marketed again to a new audience on a new generation of consoles. 

The only thing I give BBC credit for is ripping open an alps thumbstick and putting in a new spring to increase or decrease the tension of the stock stick.

That take patience, I have tried it myself. De-soldering a Thumbstick is one thing, opening it and taking it apart and putting it back together is another.   

Again not a new concept but it is the only original thing in Xbox one and Ps4 controllers that BBC does.  While increasing stick tension is nothing new - I've been doing it with my arcade sticks for years.  It is something unique for game consoles. Everything else is just a clone of the ton of other companies out there.

"Smart Triggers" They are nothing more than remapping the trigger to a tact button and placing the tact button under the trigger.

BBC "Smart Triggers" is nothing but 2 tacts glued under the triggers and when you push them it presses the tact button giving you a instant 100% pull of the trigger.

It is the same as remapping a trigger to the back of the controller.

Before I answered you - I decided to open my Advanced Warfare controller and install 2 tacts under the triggers and make an instant pressing trigger as well (or smart trigger).

Really there is nothing too smart about them.   I was also modding a controller for a friend today, and since I saw your post I decided to ask him if he wanted to try these "triggers" as well.  He said yes, so I did his controller too.     Real smart triggers will be the triggers on the elite controller this holiday. With the Firmware on the new Elite controller you will be able to program the sensitivity press of each trigger. So you can have it go from 0-100% and then lock the triggers to only move like a few millimeters and they will fire. Microsoft really did make a "smart" trigger.

As for what a person can do in 1 hours... 

Here is a quick video of my controller

https://vid.me/Quc9

Here is a quick video of his controller.

https://vid.me/pkSq

I will go a step further..

if you want to make your own "smart triggers" I made this mock up for you all.

1438476404-U3558.jpg

Perhaps I should make some videos for you all - if need some tips and tricks.   I learned so much from other peoples videos and easy to install products, perhaps I should do a tutorial as well? 

That is only true for PS4.... 

Xbox one - not so easy....

Never had an xbox please fix me so I cant comment. Thought it would be the same though, lol see what thought did. ????? lol

Archived