QOS Disable?

CrossFitKila717

Quick question......if I disable QOS (uncheck Box) under the AntiBufferBloat section, what exactly does this do “other than” completely disable QOS? It says in the info that it may affect other areas as well? I don’t need QOS, just using Geofilter but was wondering what else is affected? 

Thanks. 

10 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

it affects, traffic priority (especially gaming packets)  device bandwidth allocation. Why would you not need QOS?

Because I have 300/300 fiber & no traffic in my house. Even when my wife is watching Netflix while I’m playing, I’m watching PingPlotter & my graph is pretty flawless, never fluctuating more than 1ms (5-6ms is what it stays at with 8.8.8.8) and since gaming uses almost nothing, I figured I’m pretty good. 

Unfortunately, at least with BO4, I can’t really tell a difference between using the Duma and just straight hardwired into my gateway with no control at all. I have great and not so great gameplay either way.

Believe me, I want the Duma to be amazing and make a difference. I hate this inconsistency.  

What are your thoughts? I’m always open to learn!

My PingPlotter during gameplay with no Duma.......

Thanks!

4839E431-1C87-433F-BB76-56F8D7E2590D.jpeg

1 hour ago, N3CR0 said:

Looks great CrossFitKila717. Doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks! I’m just curious though, if this tells the whole story? I know there’s lots of variables but it’s amazing that I can still have inconsistent gameplay 😏

1 hour ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Thanks! I’m just curious though, if this tells the whole story? I know there’s lots of variables but it’s amazing that I can still have inconsistent gameplay 😏

My Plotter looks the same but gameplay is still inconsistent. Its Craptavisions servers I'm telling you.

• Administrators

You have plenty of bandwidth, so unlikely you'll see much congestion on your network. But Traffic Priortization will always put your gaming traffic to the front of any network queue which will approve your ping in game. 

You have the Geo-filter too of course...

49 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

You have plenty of bandwidth, so unlikely you'll see much congestion on your network. But Traffic Priortization will always put your gaming traffic to the front of any network queue which will approve your ping in game. 

You have the Geo-filter too of course...

But would traffic Prioritization do anything if there’s really no traffic in my house? And if I have 300/300, at most my wife is watching Netflix, would this even be an issue?

And honestly, with at least COD, I can’t say even the Geo has benefited me, as awesome of a concept that the Geo is. Unfortunately, I feel when the gameplay is bad, it’s for reasons outside the Duma’s control. 

• Administrators

If your wife is watching Netflix and Traffic Prioritization wasn't being used then the gaming packets may be getting queued behind Netflix. It may not be immediately noticeable but it could be adding some unnecessary fluctuations in gameplay without it. You could enable QoS, leave Anti-Bufferbloat on never and use Traffic Prioritization and you'd still have full speeds and the benefits of that feature. 

Have you tried forcing further away servers that may play better for you?

On 8/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

If your wife is watching Netflix and Traffic Prioritization wasn't being used then the gaming packets may be getting queued behind Netflix. It may not be immediately noticeable but it could be adding some unnecessary fluctuations in gameplay without it. You could enable QoS, leave Anti-Bufferbloat on never and use Traffic Prioritization and you'd still have full speeds and the benefits of that feature. 

Have you tried forcing further away servers that may play better for you?

Yes, I have tried all the above & regardless of settings and with or without the Duma hooked up at all, I get very inconsistent gameplay. Just depends on the day.....everything works great on all settings then nothing matters. 

If these problems are occurring even when your Netduma isn't hooked up, it shows your connection is unstable. Anti-Bufferbloat can be used to fix this, although it might require some more dramatic reductions in speed. Still, slow and stable is better than fast and unpredictable, right?