Netduma Done A Reboot

Clinton92

Hi

Was watching Netflix and the duma rebooted itself. All I heard was the beep noise and then lost all connection to the Internet. Just wondering if this may be a bug issue or was it outta the blue ? Don't know if this has happened before. But there has been were google says there's no internet connection.

Cheers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had that a couple of times, never caused me a problem as I wasn't on web at the time but heard the distinct beep from the R1, not sure if it might be a cloud update related thing.

Hey Clinton, I take it the internet is alright now though? Is it possible someone else did a reboot of the router at all?

Hey fraser

100% sure no one done it I was the only person home at the time. It doesn't bother me just wanted to see if it, anyone else had experienced it.

This has happened to me as well.  I could sometimes recreate it by switching from reactive to preemptive algo but it wasn't consistent, sometimes it would reboot and other times it was stable.

Maybe a heat issue?  Make sure the R1 is in a well ventilated area

I have experienced this a few times as well.  It happened once with minor traffc and another time while I was in the middle of a game on PS4.  I have my R1 sitting in an open area of the room (74 degrees Fahrenheit) with open ventilation and fan blowing close by it.   I was the only one home with PS4 & Verizon Network Extended hard wired with phone, tablet, laptops and thermostat connected wireless (but not being used). I assume that it was a reboot because I lost internet connection on PS4 and noticed lost wifi connections on phone and tablet.

• Administrators

Yeah it was likely a heat issue. 

Did you hear a beep Wildcat to indicate it was a reboot? Could have been that you need to turn off wifi workaround in settings misc but if wired went down sounds like a reboot. Monitor it and see if it occurs frequently.

I live in the UK so a bit of a difference in heat to you there :) but the plate does well for me here i have always done this for years now with routers.

It is worth a go.

I live in the UK so a bit of a difference in heat to you there :) but the plate does well for me here i have always done this for years now with routers.

It is worth a go.

yes true that its worth a shot i got nothing to lose only to gain.  

Yebs i have theb over heating problem sloved by the place a live. The building its a very old fasion english houst and i live in a bottom flor. This place its alwyas cool even in a sunny dasy. Temperatures inside are very electronical equipment frendly.

Yeah it was likely a heat issue. 

Did you hear a beep Wildcat to indicate it was a reboot? Could have been that you need to turn off wifi workaround in settings misc but if wired went down sounds like a reboot. Monitor it and see if it occurs frequently.

I did not hear a beep while playing the game because I had a headset on.  I did hear a beep on the other one.

• 2 weeks later...

Were you streaming (i.e. Netflix or Twitch)?  Because it may be an issue with how the duma handles large amounts of data in conjunction with our other devices be it modems and routers.  This is the only time I have issues is when I streaming Netflix for an extended amount of time.  

Maybe the update inwhich they increase the amount of data the R1 can handle with improve this.  Has anyone else noticed when streaming? 

Brainstorming a little bit:

It may be a overheating issue but it doesn't seem like the router is being over worked by anything you are doing.  How many devices do you have connected?  Is your router connected to a power strip that may be getting overloaded?  

Also, since there is no password protection you don't think there is anyone else in your home that may be accessing the router interface and rebooting it do you?  

You may need to do a factory reset to see if it a bug that you may be able to clear but I would leave that to my last resort.  

Hope this helps.  Maybe one of the administrators may have some suggestions.  

Yeah. I have a little fan blowing over my modem, router, and R1. Lol.

Can I see a picture of your setup? How do you power the fan? Did you wire it into the power cord? I don't use the Wifi on the duma unless I am doing geo-filter changes so I am not really worried about interference from the fan.

Nothing major -- just a little portable off brand fan connected to my power strip. 

this made me laugh...a lot, the duma is a passive cooled system...

I suppose a mod could be done to add a fan but without adding a proper heatsink to the major components nothing is really being done here...

I laughed because my wife has that fan.

nothing to see here, routers reboot themselves for a laundry list of reasons...if it was a major concern Iain would look into it...but it isn't

Dude that is one of the DUMBEST post I have ever read. A modem should never reboot, a switch should never reboot, a ROUTER should never reboot. They are built to be solid if CONFIGURED correct. The only reason something like that should reboot is if you update, change something, or reboot it YOURSELF.

Honestly it sounds like a power spike issue. I haven't heard mine reboot itself but hey everyones router is in a  different environment. From reading this post of the creators of the DUMA I would have to suspect this it does not have an auto reboot feature for over heating. Something like that should power down not reboot if its over heating.

Archived