GeoFilter slow in reacting

GHOST-1-EC

Any ideas on why or what can be done in the event that the Geofilter takes a while to react. 

My observation over the past week have been that after having secured the best ping servers in my case being, 25ms and 45ms servers using the Geofilter only, i have found that upon initial start up of 'BO4 only' on the console or even when changing lobbies, i have to do several console restarts in order for me to get lobbies on the servers i have secured. 

I eventually get onto them but it takes lets say 4-5restarts of either BO4 or the console itself. 

I've tested this across Apex Legends, BO3, WW2 and BO4 and i only have this delayed reaction from the Geofilter when trying to play BO4. 

I use the same map localation for BO3 and WW2 and get instant lobbies with the exact 25ms and 45ms ping respectively. 

For Apex i move my location from South Africa to include the UK as thats where i ping to the best (175ms) and get instant lobbies, needless to say that 175ms on Apex feels better than the 25ms on any of the COD games. 

Any ideas or changes i can make on the router to speed things up accurately? 

I forgot to mention, when looking at the geofilter on my laptop, the servers i have limited my games to would either show up on the map in the limited radius or it would not at the launch of the game.

When it shows i immediately know that i am going to get instant lobbies and obviously when it does not, i dont get any lobbies and would then have to restart the console or game until i see the servers appear on the launch of the game.

I'm not entirely too sure about this, but I believe that it was transferred into the DumaOS as well. Netduma has an Anti-Cheat mechanism, as this was in original Netduma firmware as you can read here.

As the Netduma team can assist you further with information on this.  Sorry, couldn't be more help.

- Tray

nah i don't think that is it, however i do understand why the 2 min rule was put in place.

with me its a case of the geofilter not picking up the servers i have already white-listed and then only after several restarts of the game or console would it find a lobby on the white-listed server.

sometimes it would immediately show the servers and i would find a lobby but as quickly as it did that, it would also sort of lose its way to it, so to speak. 

2 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

nah i don't think that is it, however i do understand why the 2 min rule was put in place.

with me its a case of the geofilter not picking up the servers i have already white-listed and then only after several restarts of the game or console would it find a lobby on the white-listed server.

sometimes it would immediately show the servers and i would find a lobby but as quickly as it did that, it would also sort of lose its way to it, so to speak. 

I'm not entirely sure what's going on there. As the developers would be able to chime in on this. I will add, that I've noticed something similar when whitelisting servers for apex more specifically, Oregon server, never connects me there. So, I guess it's a bit like your situation, as I'm just considering it more of an update to the cloud the developers been working on. Looking forward to when it comes. But developers might have some tips for this dilemma you're experiencing.

- Tray

• Administrators

Hi there - it's not the Geo-Filter being slow to react. It reacts at the same speed each time. Instead it's the game. Each time you bootup it's choosing different servers to test your ping etc, which is why it may take several attempts.

Are you based in ZA? This might be one reason you're experiencing this, as the server there could be less commonly used.

One thing you might prefer to do is use the Ping Assist feature like a ping filter. This guarantees you low ping lobbies which should give you a smoother experience. See the bottom half of this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

So i've posted and commented on this several times, the ping assist does not work!! 

I am in ZA (South Africa) yes, we have a large Gaming community across several titles and platforms. 

As for it being, a server not commonly used, thats incorrect as the moment i use spectating mode, i would immediately connect to that very same server/s (its two servers) but i obviously also run the risk of connecting to unwanted servers so i stopped using spectating mode. 

When strict mode is enabled, the geofilter would struggle to immediately pick up the server and or when it does pick it up on booting the game, i for some reason will still be connecting to a server outside my radius and one which i have denied countless times without positive effect. 

My issue is not that server so much as i will just quit the game when seeing that i am being placed in a lobby on it, the issue i am having is the fact that when playing BO4, i cannot immediately connect to the server/s within my radius which have been whitelisted and which i easily connect to when playing either BO3 or WW2 and of last night even Modern Warfare Remastered. 

Not sure how many times i must re-iterate the same thing, there is a communication flaw in how the software relates to BO4. 

Every other game is fine except BO4. 

• Administrators

Apologies, it's hard to keep track of specific issues across threads.

It's possible there are some ZA servers that are in the wrong location, which we can fix if we have the IDs. Do you ever see servers with a really good ping that are located very far away on your Map?

My radius is kept small and within ZA, i have two servers which i prefer playing on which give me the 'best ping' however, neither of these servers are geographically located where they are supposed to be on the map within ZA. 

Server 1 ID: 32c5592462d14f54 (this server was previously showing and should be located in Cape Town but is showing in the middle of the geofilter ZA map which is approximately 600km away from its actual location - my ping on it is 25-30ms but the gameplay does not feel as if my ping is that low) 

Server 2 ID: a6c43f0a6145171c (server should be located in Johannesburg, ZA but is located on the exact same place as Server 1 on the ZA map within the geofilter, i normally ping about 50ms on this server and strangely, this server gives a better gaming experience than the Server 1 which has a much lower ping) 

Server 3 ID: 29c5d7a262c84b50 (this is the dedicated server for BO4 and other COD titles in ZA but i have last connected to this server last year some time after the game was launched, yet it is located on the same place on the same place as Server 1 and 2 on the geofilter map - gameplay to it felt good if my memory serves me correctly as i can only see it but not connect to it even though my radius covers it and it has been added to my allowed list of servers) 

Server 4 ID: 507d242f04449 (i have tried countless times to deny this server but the game still places me on it regardless and even though my radius does not cover it - it is not located in same place as the 3 others listed above, but it is located where server 2 and 3 should be located as per the map of ZA. 

Hoping you are able to resolve the issues being experienced. 

• Netduma Staff

Hi Ghost - thanks for letting us know, super comprehensive. We should be able to resolve this - our cloud database is extremely accurate for the most part but it looks like we need to take a look at ZA servers.

I'd appreciate it a lot if you took a look at this form: 

We're gathering all of these ID's in a really efficient way and streamlining the whole process. If you report these ID's in there it'll go a long way to getting this sorted!

• Netduma Staff
16 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

Hi Jack, 

I have reported one previously but i have just completed the form with all the above server detail submitted. 

Awesome. Those forms go to good use, thank you for helping out!

• Administrators

We haven't put out a cloud since then but when we do we'll include the latest submissions sent to us via the form. Hopefully next week we'll be able to get a cloud out, depending on work load

• Administrators

We put a small update out a couple of weeks ago. Is your issue continuing? Joseph is out of the office this week so I'm not sure whether it included your servers or not. I'll get him to confirm when he's back next week.

@Netduma Crossy

@Netduma Admin i am thinking you are referring to a very old cloud update which definitely was not a few weeks ago......... everyone has been complaining and raising the issue of the cloud needing attention on several threads as neither the geofilter nor ping assist are functional at present....... a cloud update was said to be scheduled for two weeks ago, then it was said to happen last week and to date nothing has happened. 

Several users including myself have submitted various server id's and additional information on the required submission forms and threads but to no avail as the issues experienced still persist.

I cannot repeat something i and everyone has already over emphasized on several occassions. 

I own an XR500, i reside in South Africa (ZA) and at present neither the Geofilter nor Ping Assist works as it is intended to for Black Ops 4 and it would now appear to not work with other games as well on the ps4 (which is the console i use). 

Everything has been tried and tested as work arounds and nothing works. 

Please fix the situation once and for all as when the software worked it is a pleasurable experience but at present its beyond frustrating and the excuses aka reasons/stories you guys post are weak, dont hold any ground and serves as an insult the intellect of the users and members of this forum. 

• Administrators

Whenever I mention a potential time for a cloud update I always preface it with 'it depends on the workload' as it really does. We're still a small team, although growing and sometimes there are big things we need to work on that can't wait. Admin mentioned Joseph is away this week so earliest will be next week for an update if he has the time. As we continue to grow and bring new people on then we can speed up different aspects of development such as the cloud.

2 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

@Netduma Crossy

@Netduma Admin i am thinking you are referring to a very old cloud update which definitely was not a few weeks ago......... everyone has been complaining and raising the issue of the cloud needing attention on several threads as neither the geofilter nor ping assist are functional at present....... a cloud update was said to be scheduled for two weeks ago, then it was said to happen last week and to date nothing has happened. 

Several users including myself have submitted various server id's and additional information on the required submission forms and threads but to no avail as the issues experienced still persist.

I cannot repeat something i and everyone has already over emphasized on several occassions. 

I own an XR500, i reside in South Africa (ZA) and at present neither the Geofilter nor Ping Assist works as it is intended to for Black Ops 4 and it would now appear to not work with other games as well on the ps4 (which is the console i use). 

Everything has been tried and tested as work arounds and nothing works. 

Please fix the situation once and for all as when the software worked it is a pleasurable experience but at present its beyond frustrating and the excuses aka reasons/stories you guys post are weak, dont hold any ground and serves as an insult the intellect of the users and members of this forum. 

As I have been harping on them too over the same issues. Geo filter is doing alot of the same things to me as you are stating among other things. I know what you mean with having a server literally in your radius and you still get connected outside of it to servers you keep banning/denying. Its like if you use strict on over a radius, those servers cant even detect you. But spectate on and you can clearly see that the servers do in fact exist. Its not just bo4 as this issue is consistent with bo3 as well among others too. It is definitely geo related but its impossible from our end without being coders to know the exact reason. Could it be cloud? or could it be an issue in the firmware itself? Its hard to be sure whats going on. I totally understand the frustration, sadly all we can do is continue to wait....

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Whenever I mention a potential time for a cloud update I always preface it with 'it depends on the workload' as it really does. We're still a small team, although growing and sometimes there are big things we need to work on that can't wait. Admin mentioned Joseph is away this week so earliest will be next week for an update if he has the time. As we continue to grow and bring new people on then we can speed up different aspects of development such as the cloud.

I think the first thing is to figure if this is indeed a cloud issue or if it is something within the firmware. I love how the team constantly tries to say nothing is wrong and theres no other issues with other devices but here is a post that clearly proves my case. Not even an R1 device either. I don't know why its being weird, but because of the issues that persist it renders geofiltering completely useless more often than not. When it works its great, but those times are far and few in between once it starts happening. As OP stated it will work for a while, then things just get slow and buggy and you are constantly trying to find work arounds and router resets in attempt to get the functionality back, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. I know this is probably a large strain on you guys as a team but it would appear the main priority here is ensuring the product works as advertised above all before attempting to add more features. This is why game developers these days get way in over their head when making all these big promises, and then when the bugs come, they are way in over their heads, and were talking a company that has far more people than the Netduma team does to squash bugs. I dont want to see that happen, the Netduma family has been one of the biggest godsends of the gaming community. Strong functionality matters more over features.

I was one of a few users that actually had no connectivity issues from the time BO4 launched....... however, after cloud updates and game updates...... my connectivity issues also started to surface....... i dont know how many more posts must be made or info submitted for the necessary attention to be given to the problem, i was made to believe through other posts previously on the forum for the same or similar issue/s that fixing clearly identified server/s locations and or whatever issue there is related to these server/s would be an easy fix as it is software related and Netduma handles that side of the equation. All that was required were the server id's, its location and a breakdown of the issues being experienced.......... now its turning into a mission impossible to get a straight answer let alone getting the issue/s resolved. 

I dont enjoy bad service or being purposefully mis-informed, straight talk is the only real talk i can relate to....... if the problem cant be fixed just say it as it is..... dont sugar coat nothing as i am going to hold you to it. 

After all, no one negotiated or came out with angles when buying these DumaOs supported routers........ i have said it to Lain on twitter before that i bought into DumaOs as i saw well supported user forum and its the clear communication and lack of issues (at the time) with end users and appreciated the approach...... whats happening now is definitely not what i or any other user anticipated would happen. 

• Administrators

Appreciate the feedback guys. When BO4 first came out there were a bunch of teething issues because they were using many new servers (compared to previous CoDs), as well as a different approach to how their netcode worked. So we had to do a lot to improve our cloud to solve these problems - which we did as quickly as we could and as far as we have been able to tell solved the issues people had at launch. 

What's hard for us is when there are isolated issues being reported, because the vast majority of the time these are user error (e.g. wrong settings) or user's misunderstanding how something works. That's what tech support is for of course - most posts on this subforum are not actual bugs being reported, rather just users needing help or advice to get everything setup working optimally.

So the difficulty we have with your reports is you are saying there are still many problems and we know you guys are experienced with the router, so it's either that there is something else we need to look into, or something weird is happening on the game side. 

The best thing we can do next is gather as much info from you as possible, which we can then share with the developers to look into. So in the interests of moving forward and improving, two things to say:

1. We recognize we can do better with direct communication from devs to you, so we'll work on this.
  2. Could you bullet point your main issue, and what you suspect may be the problem.  From what I have understood, a big need from you is for us to move mislocated servers as soon as possible. Is there anything else you can identify as not working as expected?

Thanks for your engagement - we know you just want what's best for the product.