Stadia

Netduma Admin

• Administrators

What did you guys make of the announcement? Will be very interested to see how it performs. Can see it being great for single player, not sure how it will translate to Multiplayer though as ping could sky rocket. Definitely excited to see it in action

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47623414

It is like the Xbox streaming console that has been announced, they will not be any good for online shooters.

local > streaming service > local > host > local

Instead of

local > host > local

I just lol at this quote from the article

"In games where split-second reactions are a matter of winning or losing, high latency rates infuriates players.

In an attempt to avoid this, Google said its Stadia controller will connect directly to Google's servers via wifi"

For the pro gamer and those that play a lot of fps games cloud gaming will not work due to the lag. In the article it says that the controller will connect to googles servers via wifi, we all know what wifi does for online shooters!!!!!!

I will be giving it a miss and won't be spending my money on it!

I am not trying to be negative but I would not pick a cloud gaming service as a primary gaming platform over an actual console or PC that I can control and view locally. I'd rather wait a short while for game downloads and updates so I can have those privileges, thanks.  Stadia is being marketed as being "better than having the hardware in your home because you don't have to download the games"  like that's more important than input lag and diluted image quality.  Sure it would be a convenient service to some but it's not a better gaming platform than a local system. 

It may be a fit for some but not for me.  

• Netduma Staff

Yeh I think the WiFi controller might break the whole concept for a lot of gamers. I reckon Stadia will be huge in Asia since there's less accessibility to high-end performance PC's / consoles. Getting rid of that performance barrier is pretty incredible, and the ability to play top-notch games on phones could also be cool.

Still, there ain't going to be any pro / hardcore players on Stadia unless they shell out some cash, lol.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Zennon said:

If it becomes popular Netduma should look into their protocol from game packets so DumaOS can prioritise them over the streams packets.

It may introduce frame drops / stutters though.

Great idea!

i watched their live stream the other day, this is bound to upset the industry apple cart, it seems so user friendly and i'm excited by it.

being as google has literally thousands of their own servers i reckon connections would actually improve for some , particularly the middle east players who are usually on the euro dedis, this would improve the experience of the whole lobby if this was no longer the case...surely.

they reckoned they'd reduce a lot of lag by using more direct routes and less hops, but i didn't buy the controller bit.

with 5g around the corner the wifi really wouldn't be an issue anymore would it???

Being as stadia won't need dedicated hardware and the fact it would be so youtuber/streamer friendly, i reckon it will blow up big time very quickly, they won't care about a small % of hardcore fps players not willing to make the leap.

fingers crossed they don't want much more than about 30 quid a month for it, i can only hope!

• Administrators
19 hours ago, toby jugs said:

i watched their live stream the other day, this is bound to upset the industry apple cart, it seems so user friendly and i'm excited by it.

being as google has literally thousands of their own servers i reckon connections would actually improve for some , particularly the middle east players who are usually on the euro dedis, this would improve the experience of the whole lobby if this was no longer the case...surely.

they reckoned they'd reduce a lot of lag by using more direct routes and less hops, but i didn't buy the controller bit.

with 5g around the corner the wifi really wouldn't be an issue anymore would it???

Being as stadia won't need dedicated hardware and the fact it would be so youtuber/streamer friendly, i reckon it will blow up big time very quickly, they won't care about a small % of hardcore fps players not willing to make the leap.

fingers crossed they don't want much more than about 30 quid a month for it, i can only hope!

I expect they'll charge extra to play newly released AAA titles. They might even charge more to use a server with faster processing speed/specs. 

On 3/19/2019 at 4:09 PM, BIG__DOG said:

For the pro gamer and those that play a lot of fps games clod gaming will not work due to the lag. In the article it says that the controller will connect to googles servers via wifi, we all know what wifi does for online shooters!!!!!!

I will be giving it a miss and won't be spending my money on it!

Agree with you 100%. Please don't get rid of consoles either. I like gaming on my consoles not a phone or whatever. This seems to space age for me.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, toby jugs said:

The test was performed under their conditions on their servers. That is not "real world" The true test would be over somebody's internet connection. The fact the controller is connected wirelessly will cause lag right out of the gate. But, each to their own, but I know it will not take off. 

• Netduma Staff
16 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

The test was performed under their conditions on their servers. That is not "real world" The true test would be over somebody's internet connection. The fact the controller is connected wirelessly will cause lag right out of the gate. But, each to their own, but I know it will not take off. 

Don't underestimate the power of Google marketing / the existing Google user base! It'll take off whether we like it or not imo, especially if the platform is free with full cost games... but I don't believe it'll kill off consoles / shake the industry in the way they're conceiving.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Don't underestimate the power of Google marketing / the existing Google user base! It'll take off whether we like it or not imo, especially if the platform is free with full cost games... but I don't believe it'll kill off consoles / shake the industry in the way they're conceiving.

I don't think it will kill off consoles either. It will however be interesting to see how it performs after the 2-6 months hype train has left the station and we get to see how bad the lag is by real world users outside of googles controlled environment. Time will tell, but I won't be 1 of the minions that gets it on release day. I have the nvidia shield and have never even bothered with their cloud gaming service!