Docsis 3.1 built in QoS affect router QoS xr700

Just trying to pin point my connection interruption issue when gaming would the 3.1 docsis features with built in QoS features cause issues when also running QoS on router? Or are they handled  separately  since the router technically  manages all the connections from devices, that are then pushed to the cable modem 

unfortunately the spectrum modem will not allow remote access to cable modem gateway to acess signal levels. . So cannot provide those  

Its the xr700 by the way. 

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum :) personally, unless there's something specific you want to achieve using the Docsis, I would just let the XR700 handle all QoS. The XR700 is more than capable of handling your entire network, and you'd be far less likely to encounter convoluted issues if it handled everything by itself.

I'm not 100% on whether the Docsis would cause issues however - without testing your network myself I can't tell. My gut tells me it could conflict with DumaOS though.

Yes the issue with this is cannot turn modem features off as I’m being forced to use a spectrum modem and not allowed acess to it to turn off any settings. 

Im also not even sure the docsis 3.1 built in QoS is able to be turned off 

DOCSIS 3.1 has:  Active Queue Management (AQM)built into its software thereby supposedly significantly reducing internet latency. AQM results in faster page loads for all Web traffic and greatly enhances interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing.

It is a very good question if it negatively affect DumaOS's Congestion Control?

• Netduma Staff

I'm going to ask around with the developers and check this for you guys. I'm not sure we have a DOCSIS in the office so I'm not sure they'll know the answer, but it's worth checking!

I think in this case one might get a negative impact from some of the DumaOS in regards to AQM with DOCSIS 3.1. DOCSIS is relatively a US base deployment.. So it is likely they might not know what the full DOCSIS platform is about at Netduma. Even though there are forms of DOCSIS across the pond there not at all used like they are here in the US.. Jack might be able to give some insight on this but it will be likely in regards to more of the form of DOCSIS they use which is called Euro DOCSIS.. And im fairly sure there form of deployment is nothing like ours here in the US.. Its a modified version that has similarities but yet totally different.. And im not even sure there form uses the AQM.. If one is in the US and is running a form of DOCSIS 3.1 I wouldn't recommend in setting ones sliders to 70%.. The effect likely over buffers and will have a negative effect.. There could be other features that might need tweaking also.. I was just using that one as an example.. As far as im aware AQM isn't something that can be toggled off.. It is built into the modems software and is also used with in the ISP network.. Those parameters of AQM are set when a modem is being provisioned.. And I would be shocked if one could access them on there modem. Specially if there modem is one given to them from there ISP.. One that buys there own modem and has it provisioned might have access to this but my guess that would likely be block also when the provisioning was done to the modem regardless if its your own.. Ive heard of ways that AQM can be modified or turned off but again buy the sound of that its done through the modems configuration file (boot file) TLV parameter.. Has anyone been able to log into there modem and see what is all accessible? 

Zippy..

I finally convinced spectrum to activate my  netgear cm1000 on their gig service and these are screen shots of modem ui 

also I’m in upstate ny

D171CEBC-12BA-4E3A-BB2E-10ED784FDDF9.jpeg

3343D73C-6A27-47A6-AB41-E7CB523ED838.jpeg

2664EA6F-9413-4112-A298-8B13043C6B3C.jpeg

Also how exactly would I set the sliders for QoS.. because one moment I’ll have all a+ in buffer bloat test,  most times it’ll drop to A, but then some tests will provide C results. 

also this is error log on reboot with clear log.. anything i should be concerned about?

Screenshot (3).png

I have the same router as you. You don't appear to have any issues on the modem end. I would just recommend that you have a good splitter or a direct MOCA coupler for your internet, depending on your house setup.

In regards to the tinkering on QOS bufferbloat. It does take a lot of tinkering to get it down properly. Sometimes the test will read wrong too. Just clear everything on the browser data then restart the test.

• Administrators

I wouldn't pay attention to the log file, they are often verbose and primarily aimed at developers to help diagnose when issues occur. I would advise following this guide in order to fine tune your QoS settings: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

The errors in your log file may clear out in sometime.. The one error I would watch is your T3 timeout.. Maybe clear your log and see if it reappears.. That particular T3 timeout usually indicates something wrong on the upstream side. Like poor signal or noise in the upstream side of things.. Which means it could have a hard time maintaining communication on the upstream side.. Usually this is caused by poor/bad cable or splitter or even a connector..   Is your modem going through a splitter or anything like that? The rule of thumb is to make sure your modem isn't going through a multiple of splitters.. Some even use a line tap then split everything after that... First thing I would do is clear your logs and maybe even power cycle your modem.. Good luck!

Zippy..

8 hours ago, Asjb123 said:

Splitter was removed inside house but I was having signal issues and without filter on back of modem power levels will jump from 7db to 10.5 dB 

Well that is interesting.. Your power levels shouldn't really do that.. Specially if there doing that a lot in a relatively short period of time.. Here is my guess to what your having.. This filter likely stabilizes your connection.. But it likely also weakens the strength of your upload signal..Which would cause very poor performance and would be even more noticeable when gaming.. I honestly have never heard of a filter used on the back of the modem before so I cant give you any good advice on that.. Is this filter something Spectrum has put on your modem before? There are several things that can cause signal issues. Maybe your main line coming to you house is bad? I honestly would have Spectrum come out and check your main line and whatever other lines or jumpers you have. Along with connectors.. Make sure all connectors are tight and not finger tight..  I live in the North Central part of the US and when I have Spectrum over when I have issues they replace all connectors any bad lines or line and replace all splitters regardless if good or bad.. And this is at a no charge to me at all.. They always have seemed eager to get to the bottom of any issues ive had.. But from what I hear from other people this type of policy seems different from location to location.. Meaning they may charge you.. The ideal situation imo would be to get your signals stabilized without having to use this filter..  That filter almost sounds like something that is used to cover up the real issue.. Does this filter have any specs on what MHz it filters at? Im curious if it only filters at downstream and upstream is pass through.. 

Zippy..

I have xfinity with an arris sb8200.  After investigating, the qos being used is called PIE.  It is only activated on the upload.  I simply over provisioned my upload speed at twice the speed that I am supposed to get and set the slider to 100%. Then I set the download with the right speed and slider to 66%. Mainly play bo4.  KDR over last 10 games over 5.0.  HC TDM last game 33-6. I have MOCA coupler outside where xfinity line connects to mine. Straight run to modem, no splits.  Geo set in ocean, smallest radius. Use ping assist at 40ms. 

That is the filter but I feel power levels could get better than 7.7db if this is bringing down from 10.7 just feels like this is a lazy fix to me and not actually solving the issue with signals to the house. 

444827BA-3293-4117-99C4-80458FA53B2E.jpeg

Cold weather = higher signal.  If it fluctuates a lot between warm and cold it could be a bad wire or a bad fitting.  Water will get in the wire and freeze.  If the signal stays constant with weather change,  it needs to be adjusted at the node by a tech.  The filter should be placed before the first splitter, not on modem. 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, Asjb123 said:

Not to mention I paid for the gig service and they were supposed to run new lines but they’re telling me the lines to the house are fine. 

Asjb123 I honestly haven't ever seen a filter like that before.. Id follow the advice on what Sunaikinti said.. Even though in my eyes anytime you have to add things like filters usually says something isn't right! I can only give you advice from what we would do when we owned the cable company here. But of course guess who we sold it too! lol.. Lets say your lines are good in your house.. Its then time to get a line tech out to your house because an installer has very limited capabilities and knowledge and equipment for that matter.. A line tech will check the main lines and make adjustments as needed. That could be at a amplifier or at the node that your on. They will test all they way down the main line between you and the node your on. And they should be updated with the latest testing equipment for DOCSIS 3.1. A good line tech will take the time to make it right. Im guessing that Spectrum will send out an install guy first before they send a line tech out.. So if that is what takes place in order to get a line tech do your best to convince the install guy you are having issues.. If the installer doesn't seem convinced and doesn't sound like he will suggest a line tech to come out.. Heres a hint for you.. Make up a small story like things get worse at night and when there is bad weather or a quick climate change..  Those are key things that likely will give them reasons to send a line tech.. Your likely going to have to become a good actor so do your best!!  Good luck! And let us know how it goes!

the mess on the side of my house says otherwise! There is a filter like on the link posted you posted then It’s running through two spliters before even entering the house. . I requested a line tech come out and a fresh new line straight to the modem as I’m dropping tv services through them. But why a filter outside then one on the back of the modem it doesn’t make sense pretty much covering up the bigger issue ?

Sounds like a mess!  Make sure the tech puts a new moca filter outside.  Do you have a weather proof box outside on your house?  If not, make sure they put one on. Once the tech is finished,  check your signals as removing splitters will make the signal even higher.  The tech will have to adjust it at the node.  Good luck!  Let us know what happens.

I agree with Sunaikinti.. Sounds like you have a mess.. You definitely have a maze of goodies going on.. If there are splitters outside of your house and another MOCA filter that's just way to much going on.. Also if these splitters are exposed to the elements that would be another big concern.. All splitting should be done inside your home and not outside. Don't get me wrong they may say they are weather resistant splitters and connectors but they just don't last being outside like that. If you do have these splitters exposed you do need to have a weather box installed just like what Sunaikinti mentioned. And do all splitting in the home.. you really do need them to come out and straighten up that mess because that is actually what you have at this point.. Im surprised you actually have any kind of service with all of that going on.. Your main line coming into your home has to have a pretty hot signal right now.. Let us know how things turn out for yah and good luck!

Zippy.

11 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

https://www.ppc-online.com/blog/moca-filters-your-cross-interference-issue-solved  

This is info on moca filters.  Your filter looks like a moca filter to me.  Like Zippy said, you need a line tech, not an installer.

Thanks Sunaikinti that's actually a very interesting filter.. Sounds like there are being used more and more.. Thanks for the info!

Well again the said the lines are fine and that spectrum doesn’t use mocha filters due to not using whole house dvr and that there docis3.1 isn’t always used until enough bandwidth is being pulled through the line which I think is a croc... but yes there’s exposed spliters. . Which all were replaced. And the filter on the cable modem  is for downstream signals. they told me also it can’t be adjusted at the node because it would effect everyone on the line. 

Just an update when tech came replaced some lines coming into the house power signal was 11db and instead of a -6db filter threw a 9-dB filter on the back of the modem and said there you go problem fixed of course speed test is showing shoty speeds 😳