XR700 Firmware 1.0.1.2 with Hybrid VPN!

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

Noticed this is now up in Netgears download section, of more interest is it says it supports the Hybrid VPN feature, which the XR500 does not! Hope the XR500 does not end up trailing behind the XR700 but I'm wondering if Netgear will push certain features to its higher end device after seeing this. :(

XR700 V 1.0.1.2

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports the HybridVPN client

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the device manager issue where the wrong device type and status displays.
  • Fixes the issue where the network monitor snapshot’s data is inaccurate.

• Administrators

We'll follow this up with NETGEAR immediately. Certainly was no intention for one NETGEAR model to trail another in terms of features. A key component of DumaOS is that our features can be rolled out across multiple hardware at the same time because of how well it's designed.

Good idea..

I don't use Hybrid VPN and may not ever use it, but would like the option. 

That's a really d move by Netgear.  I hope they realize consumers can pick up on this because it won't sell because of it.  Product profit using the dangling carrot over product quality will not work, and most likely will anger existing xr500 customers. Plus the fact that 60ghz is dead, and the 10g SPF+ port it uses still needs an additional adapter/transceiver to even be able to link to their own SX10 switch.  Plex server may be the only thing it has as a pro, if you use that. I think that's what the additional two processors are really needed for (transcoding) and not sure if those 2 processors are only dedicated to Plex to be honest, so it could just be a dual like the xr500 as far as routing goes.  Maybe you guys should re-negotiate your contract to get more control over the Duma side. It seems most of the theories people suggested are no longer theories - all time to address xr500 issues and new features have been somewhat delayed intentionally for xr700 pre-market, and  possibly even features being withheld to help it sell.  My wallet is closed for now. Curious to see how this debutes.

xr500user

• Administrators

I don't think the aim was to introduce a feature on one platform and not the other. Considering the XR700 hasn't been released firmware they're just saying the firmware on release will have that feature on it. Considering it's not out yet then theres still time for VPN Hybrid to be released in the next upgrade. Either way will hear back from Netgear soon.

1 hour ago, questvr3 said:

xlr8r,

The Rog Rapture has something like the hybrid VPN we've been waiting months for? 

yep, wish i had discovered the Rog first....  read up here ROG the setting this thing has is insane! And it is expensive ....

• Administrators
12 hours ago, xlr8r said:

yep, wish i had discovered the Rog first....  read up here ROG the setting this thing has is insane! And it is expensive ....

If you want to promote another router you can do so elsewhere, this is a support forum for the Netduma/DumaOS, removed your link.

5 hours ago, xlr8r said:

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you want to promote another router you can do so elsewhere, this is a support forum for the Netduma/DumaOS, removed your link.

Ok. Whatever but it seems like a petty use of your time and energy. How about getting us that firmware beta with the hybrid vpn? You know the feature that's been promised for 10+ months now. Have you heard from netgear? 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, questvr3 said:

Ok. Whatever but it seems like a petty use of your time and energy. How about getting us that firmware beta with the hybrid vpn? You know the feature that's been promised for 10+ months now. Have you heard from netgear? 

That wasn't directed at you. My time was used at home to do that, outside office working hours in order to keep the topic within our forum rules - that is part of my job, however 'petty' it may seem. We made this forum to support the users of our products, not to provide an advertising platform for other products. I am not a developer so I cannot speed up the process. When it is available I can provide it but until then I have to wait just like you. No not yet.

and yes 10 months to implement this VPN feature. what is this? this is rediculous. if it won't release this month I will sell that XR500 and buy ASUS ROG. I didn't know that ASUS rog before.  

Guest Killhippie

So there will no be hyprid VPN support on XR500. if it is like that we will not trust Netduma team any more

No that’s not what’s being said. It is just that it appears the firmware for the XR700 is ahead for release and I imagine the XR500’s next update will also bring on the Hybrid VPN as DumaOS will have the same features on both routers. Netgear release the firmware NOT netduma. So they don’t have control of the schedule. 

I'm not going to get into this too much - The ROG is nice on paper but after doing research - there are also a lot of issues with it.

it's also a very real possibility that some packets may being sent to china right after your game console, LOL

Just google Supermicro Backdoor, Lenovo Backdoor, Huawei Backdoor ... the reasons some places stopped selling these brands in the US

Sure can XR500 have it too? Of course. They use similar internals, who knows.. but I considered the ROG heavily before going with the XR -- Netgear is just playing games, and I hope Netduma sets them straight soon.

xr500user

or at least provide us a replacement plan, so I can send XR500 and get XR700 and pay the difference

The routers are sold by NETGEAR not Netduma. Netduma designed the interface that runs on the XR500, XR700 and R1. It is NETGEAR that decide when to add the VPN and other features that netduma create. If you have a problem take it up on their forum. I do know Netduma have asked Netgear to add it to the next firmware release on the XR500.

The routers are sold by NETGEAR not Netduma. Netduma designed the interface that runs on the XR500, XR700 and R1. It is NETGEAR that decide when to add the VPN and other features that netduma create. If you have a problem take it up on their forum. I do know Netduma have asked Netgear to add it to the next firmware release on the XR500.

so in the next update we will get it ?

so in the next update we will get it ?

I hope so as it is a great feature but it is down to netgear to add it not netduma :) I am sure they will as Netduma have asked them to impliment it!

Nice. Get given the run around for months...have some egg on your face too.

The XR500 was a last chance for a Netgear product in my world. Sorry to see Netduma get dragged down with them, was really hoping I'd experience something different than the abandoned router syndrome that Netgear is famous for doing. Maybe we can all look forward to XR500v2 which has the exact same hardware just a different firmware roadmap with newer features.

This is just insulting that the XR700 gets the HybridVPN us XR500 users have been promised months and months. 

Nice. Get given the run around for months...have some egg on your face too.

The XR500 was a last chance for a Netgear product in my world. Sorry to see Netduma get dragged down with them, was really hoping I'd experience something different than the abandoned router syndrome that Netgear is famous for doing. Maybe we can all look forward to XR500v2 which has the exact same hardware just a different firmware roadmap with newer features.

This is just insulting that the XR700 gets the HybridVPN us XR500 users have been promised months and months. 

If you read the above comments by myself and Netduma you will have read that it was Netgear who failed to add it to the last F.W release not Netduma. Netduma have contacted Netgear to have it added on the next firmware release.