High Ping When Downloading

Hey Duma Fam!

Could anyone knowledgeable in conjunction with telecommunications please tell me why my ping goes from 6 to 36+ when I start downloading? Is this normal or is it something to do with the modem/router or maybe my line quality? It would be lost packages yes? 

T.I.A :)

• Netduma Staff

Hey Duma Fam!

Could anyone knowledgeable in conjunction with telecommunications please tell me why my ping goes from 6 to 36+ when I start downloading? Is this normal or is it something to do with the modem/router or maybe my line quality? It would be lost packages yes? 

T.I.A :)

Roy is correct above - that sounds like bufferbloat. I'd run a DSL reports test to find out how much bufferbloat you have on your line, though Anti-Flood should prevent this issue if set to 70/70. Also make sure your console is in Hyper Traffic to prioritise low-latency game traffic over those downloads.

• Netduma Staff

Does hyper traffic increase the ping time?

Hyper traffic prioritises gaming packets over downloads, which can improve your ping if you're downloading or streaming.

Roy is correct above - that sounds like bufferbloat. I'd run a DSL reports test to find out how much bufferbloat you have on your line, though Anti-Flood should prevent this issue if set to 70/70. Also make sure your console is in Hyper Traffic to prioritise low-latency game traffic over those downloads.

Sorry for my slow reply. When I run a speed test on DSLreports it doesn't show me the bufferbloat anymore? It usually doesn't give me any grades at the end....Is this a Chrome thing or?

Sorry for my slow reply. When I run a speed test on DSLreports it doesn't show me the bufferbloat anymore? It usually doesn't give me any grades at the end....Is this a Chrome thing or?

Try clicking on the green results button if there's no grade for bufferbloat. The following page will show your average latency when idle, downloading and uploading. I prefer looking at that as you can easily compare normal to "busy" numbers which is what you'll need if you want to check that your sliders are set correctly to reduce the bloat :)

Less than 5ms (average of down bloat and up bloat) - A+

Less than 30ms - A

Less than 60ms - B

Less than 200ms - C

Less than 400ms - D

400ms+ - F

Try clicking on the green results button if there's no grade for bufferbloat. The following page will show your average latency when idle, downloading and uploading. I prefer looking at that as you can easily compare normal to "busy" numbers which is what you'll need if you want to check that your sliders are set correctly to reduce the bloat :)

Less than 5ms (average of down bloat and up bloat) - A+

Less than 30ms - A

Less than 60ms - B

Less than 200ms - C

Less than 400ms - D

400ms+ - F

Nice, I wondered what their cutoffs were and just never researched it. Thanks

To get mine A+ across dslreports I had to drop a couple points below 70/70 on both after loading up the cod ult profile. 70/70 kept spiking repeatedly so play with it a bit, it’s shocking how different 1percent can make.

To get mine A+ across dslreports I had to drop a couple points below 70/70 on both after loading up the cod ult profile. 70/70 kept spiking repeatedly so play with it a bit, it’s shocking how different 1percent can make.

Thats exactly what I was telling him the other day lol. 64/64 seems to be my sweet spot on IW, at least for now.

Thats exactly what I was telling him the other day lol. 64/64 seems to be my sweet spot on IW, at least for now.

On my old cable provider I had to drop download to 30% and upload to 45% to barely scratch an A grade. Now I can run 97% and it'll stay below 5ms bloat lmao. Makes me wonder why CoD used to play better for me...

On my old cable provider I had to drop download to 30% and upload to 45% to barely scratch an A grade. Now I can run 97% and it'll stay below 5ms bloat lmao. Makes me wonder why CoD used to play better for me...

I don't think I found anything that consistently worked for my when on cable.