Having Speed Issues on PS4

For the last few days, I've been having issues getting a decent connection on my PS4. Voice chat is cutting in and out (specifically mine when talking to my friends in PS4 party chat), connection speeds are low. Normally on PS4, I average Download: 90-100mbps/Upload: 5-9Mbps. However, since this started a few days ago, my speeds are: Download: 35-45Mbps, Upload: 650-850Kbps (sometimes hitting 2Mbps but dropping back down to Kbps and not consistent).

When I run a speed test on PC, my Internet speed is where it should be: Ping: 15, Download: 180Mbps, Upload: 25Mbps.

I have not changed any settings and this has started out of no where.

Also, when I try to access the different sections of the routers default IP (192.168.88.1), (i.e. "Miscellaneous", "LAN", "WAN", Congestion Control" etc) sections are not loading quickly and sometimes take up for 30-60 seconds to load. The only section that hasn't been slow to load is the link to the Forum.

Other web pages are not having this issue.

Here's some additional info if needed

ISP
Comcast/Xfinity

Speed
Download:180Mbps, Upload: 25Mbps

Connections
All wired.

I do not game wireless. Everything is hard wired with E-thernet. The only Wifi I use is for my phone. I turn wifi off in my phone and never connect my phone wirelessly while gaming.

I am the only one using the connection.

Additional router settings if needed

Firmware
1.03.6h

Bandwidth
Download: 200Mbps
Upload: 50Mbps
Reactive Algorithm
100% on both

No VPN

Wifi
Enabled but not in use by any device while gaming.

Port Forwarding
Standard tcp/udp port forwarding information for PS4.

UPnP
Enabled

LAN Settings
DHCP Enabled
Automatic DNS Enabled
IPv6 Disabled
Auto MTU Enabled

DHCP Lease
All devices are listed but no reserved boxes are checked

WAN Settings
Everything is disabled except MTU is set to "Auto" enabled

Miscellaneous Settings
Enable deep packet processing: Disabled
Allow auto feedback(no personal data ever) to help improve the R1: Enabled
Allow remote access to Netduma tech support: Enabled

Enable upnp forwarding: Disabled
Enable multicast snooping: Disabled
Enable link-local IPv6: Disabled
Access control panel from WAN(not recommend): Disabled
Enable cookies: Disabled
Enable wifi work-around: Disabled
Stealth Mode: Disabled
Turbo mode: Enabled

Super Turbo mode (disables CC): Disabled

Things I've done on my end

- Rebooted/Reset my modem
- Rebooted the NetDuma R1
- Double checked settings that pertain to the PS4 (port forward, congestion control, host filtering)

I've attached two pictures. One of the PS4 speed test and the other of the speed test on PC.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

post-11162-0-38708000-1491987822_thumb.jpg

post-11162-0-49912100-1491989461_thumb.png

• Administrators

Console speed tests can be inaccurate so I wouldn't pay much attention to it - likely not causing you lag. Make sure you add your friends to your allow list so you can always connect to them despite any Geo-filter settings. Make sure device prioritisation is reset. 

As above would recommend either UPnP or port forwarding is disabled otherwise conflicts could occur which maybe what you're experiencing. Also I would enable cookies in miscellaneous settings so that it saves small settings changes on Geo etc.

Normally, I pay no attention to console speed tests. I know that they can be incredibly inaccurate. However, when voice chat started acting up and my friends couldn't hear me because the voice was breaking up, and I was getting a yellow and then red bar in game, I figured there's something wrong somewhere.

I've disabled UPnP and enabled cookies in the miscellaneous section. My friends are added to my allow list.

I'm also going to follow this tutorial tonight when I get home from work.
 http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20726-the-best-settings-imo-for-the-10306-firmware/

Some of that I've already done but there's a few little tweaks I can make and then test. It seems like a great, in-depth tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to make it, Chive!

I'll probably even factory reset everything just to completely start fresh and see if any of the above clears up my issue.

if you port forward for the ps4.........

80 tcp

443 tcp

1024-65535 tcp/udp

disable host filtering in geo tab, start ps4 and log into psn, turn on host filtering and then start the game of your choice and when you finish gaming session disable host filtering. Theres a small number of people experiencing a bug in the firmwares causing the gui to slow down and even freeze.    

The above method works like a charm and in the new OS (coming eventually) it should have been sorted.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Once I got home I factory reset everything and started from scratch, I followed the guide I linked above. As well as the suggestions in the thread. I disabled UPnP and enabled cookies in miscellaneous. The issue was still there after the reset and after setting things up again.

Per BigDog's suggestion, I tested Host Filtering and found something interesting. In Host Filtering when the PS4 is "Enabled" the speeds drop to the laggy/unusable levels. Randomly getting yellow/red bar in game and voice chat cutting in and out randomly. However, when the PS4 is "Disabled" in Host Filtering, there are less issues. I get usable speeds, have a green bar in game and voice chat isn't cutting out. There have still been a few hiccups, but it's far more consistent disabled. Upload dropped once to a unusable level though.

I tried enabling the PS4 in Host Filtering after I've turned on the PS4, however, it goes back to voice chat breaking up randomly and lag.

This is all very strange as before this, I wasn't having any issues and I hadn't changed any settings. It's like the router isn't allocating the proper speeds consistently, despite my connection being stable.

Attached are two more pictures. Current speed tests for PC and PS4. The 137Kbps Upload would explain the voice chat issues...

The only other thing that I can think of is disabling "Automatic DNS" and trying different DNS servers (Google, OpenDNS etc.) to see if that helps. But I'm not sure it would. All of my other settings are what is suggested for the R1.

post-11162-0-80940100-1492057623_thumb.png

post-11162-0-85456100-1492057646_thumb.jpg

• Netduma Staff

This issue seems quite strange. With the Geo-filter disabled, the Netduma acts like any other router in most areas. If you haven't done it already, turn off the Netduma for more than 5 minutes and turn it on again. I would also try forwarding the ports Big Dog recommended and keeping UPnP turned off. Since the issue seems linked to the Geo-filter it's likely that something is being blocked, which hopefully can be resolved by opening those ports.

Yes, I've forwarded the ports that were suggested and turned UPnP off.

My current settings are

Firmware

R1 debug version 1.03.6h running on rb-951g-2hnd

Bandwidth
Download: 200Mbps
Upload: 50Mbps
Reactive Algorithm
100% on both

No VPN in use

Wifi
Enabled but not in use by any device while gaming.

Port Forwarding
Ports forwarded for the PS4
80 tcp
443 tcp
1024-65535 tcp/udp

UPnP
Disabled

LAN Settings
DHCP Enabled
Automatic DNS Enabled
IPv6 Disabled
MTU is currently set at 1500 (I have tried Auto MTU as well)

DHCP Lease
PS4 IP is reserved

WAN Settings
Everything is disabled - MTU is set to 1500

Miscellaneous Settings
Enable deep packet processing: Disabled
Allow auto feedback(no personal data ever) to help improve the R1: Enabled
Allow remote access to Netduma tech support: Enabled

Enable upnp forwarding: Disabled
Enable multicast snooping: Disabled
Enable link-local IPv6: Disabled
Access control panel from WAN(not recommend): Disabled
Enable cookies: Enabled
Enable wifi work-around: Disabled
Stealth Mode: Disabled
Turbo mode: Enabled

Super Turbo mode (disables CC): Disabled

• Netduma Staff

Do you know if your friends have NAT type 2? Their NAT can also affect the voice chat functions. How does your gameplay feel other than voice chat? How is your PS4 connected to the Netduma? Have you tried changing the ethernet cable? Are your headphones wireless, and are they near other wireless devices? There could potentially be interference affecting them.

Their NAT Type is 2. As I mentioned in my previous posts, when the issue is happening I have a yellow to red bar in game. My PS4 is connected wired via ethernet. I've tried two different ethernet cables (cat 6e and cat 7 - one is brand new). I don't game wirelessly, so no chance of interference. My headphones are also wired (Astros).

Since this issue is affecting gameplay speeds and voice chat, I feel like the issue is on my end and not others. It just doesn't seem like the R1 is allocating the speeds properly to my PS4, despite the settings I give it and what I tell it. I had the R1 connected via Bridge Mode to my modem. And I currently have it reserved in the modem via DHCP and DMZ. The issue is happening both ways and I'm getting speeds in the Kbps. Which shouldn't be happening with my Internet speeds.

Is it possible the router is simply not working properly? And if so, what is the warranty policy for the R1?

No, there's nothing blocked in the Geo-filter.

Last night within the Netduma R1, I tried several different DNS servers. With most I was getting slower speeds/the same issue. With Google's DNS servers things were better for a while but it went back to yellow/red bar and my voice chat cut out a couple of times, and friends couldn't hear me.

After it started up again, I disconnected the R1 completely. I connected the PS4 directly to my ISP's modem/router combo and forwarded the necessary ports. I didn't have these issues. I had a green bar in game for roughly 3 hours of testing. And there was no issues with voice chat.

It probably goes without saying, I'd much rather be using the Netduma. With the Netduma connected I can't seem to get speeds over 20/3. And when playing a game the yellow/red bar hits and voice chat breaks up.

Unsure if there is a handshake issue with the modem. Or if there's something wrong with the router itself or the allocation of information within the settings itself.

I have very similar issues with my new Netduma (http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20800-almost-0-upload-speed/).

However for me it's even worse, since I have upload speed issues with all devices - wired PC, wired PS4, Wi-Fi connected  devices...(can't get more than 1-2 Mbit/s).  I have done all suggested things described in FAQs, manuals, but nothing helped.

@Netduma guys, is it possible to have some support for this? Device is unusable at all...

• Administrators

Out of interest if you connect via WiFi what are your speeds like? Do you experience the same issues?

I have very similar issues with my new Netduma (http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20800-almost-0-upload-speed/).

However for me it's even worse, since I have upload speed issues with all devices - wired PC, wired PS4, Wi-Fi connected  devices...(can't get more than 1-2 Mbit/s).  I have done all suggested things described in FAQs, manuals, but nothing helped.

@Netduma guys, is it possible to have some support for this? Device is unusable at all...

I've posted in your thread

Yes..Of course I have much lower download, around 100 Mbits/s but it's expected & normal... But upload is still around 1 Mbit/s...

Out of interest if you connect via WiFi what are your speeds like? Do you experience the same issues?

If you paying for a 180/25 connection then why do you have your bandwidth at 200/50 and sliders at 100%?

Or am i reading it wrong, your paying for 200/50 but you have 180/25 in the duma as bandwidth.

Do a proper browser speed test then add that to the bandwidth (will likely be 160/45), then lower your sliders to 70 or 80%.

I've posted in your thread

For me, WiFi speeds are the same and slightly slower than the speeds giving me issues.

If you paying for a 180/25 connection then why do you have your bandwidth at 200/50 and sliders at 100%?

Or am i reading it wrong, your paying for 200/50 but you have 180/25 in the duma as bandwidth.

Do a proper browser speed test then add that to the bandwidth (will likely be 160/45), then lower your sliders to 70 or 80%.

I pay for 180/25. However, with my Internet, there is a "speed boost". It's consistent at 180/25, but from time to time it will go up to 200/30 with the boost. Sliders are at 100% because I'm the only one using the connection. When sliders are at 70% 80%, the speeds are slower.

• Administrators

Okay let's try a 1 on 1 post here: http://forum.netduma.com/forum/66-request-1-on-1/and I will have a look. Let me know dates/times next week you'd be available.

Please read this first before making the post: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/11450-read-before-posting-a-1-on-1-request/

I may have potentially found a fix to the problem. Last night I switched DNS settings once again. Only this time, as my primary DNS I used my ISP's primary DNS server. And for my secondary DNS I used Google's primary DNS. I had no issues. My speed was solid for the time that I played (roughly three hours), my voice chat was solid and did not cut out and I had a green bar all night.

I'm going to test this one more time tonight after work. And then I'll report back. If this fixes the problem, then no need for the 1on1.

I'm wondering why using different DNS servers for primary and secondary is working better than using either both primary and secondary from my ISP or both primary and secondary from Google. It's very strange.

Tested things again last night and again had no issues. So, it seems the DNS work around is what fixed it. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and support. Good to know if a issue arises, there's good help here. If something changes I'll be sure to report.