training for a new career

daz

well I just been royaly fucked over for a promotion in work and can no longer work here so will be leaving asap but trouble is ive got no real qualifications or training so im not sure what to do.

does anyone have any advice or experience with getting qualifications later in life? im 37 and in uk if that makes difference to whats out there, also not really sure what id like to do im stumped lol

• Administrators

Sorry to hear that man! 

You could always go to University, I believe you can even get Student Loans as a mature student as well! You could do the Open University which is online and get a part time job whilst you study. 

You could sign up for individual courses that are like a week long for example and get qualifications like that, may only be things like first aid but it always helps. 

That's the only advice I can think of at the moment but good luck! 

I had a look at Open Uni, it's not cheap but it does looks to be very flexible. Definitely worth looking into.

Also, check out the local colleges for night-courses, depends on what sort of thing you're looking for really but anything with a practical skill is generally sought after.

well I just been royaly fucked over for a promotion in work and can no longer work here so will be leaving asap but trouble is ive got no real qualifications or training so im not sure what to do.

does anyone have any advice or experience with getting qualifications later in life? im 37 and in uk if that makes difference to whats out there, also not really sure what id like to do im stumped lol

Take it with a grain of salt and I'm not trying to be an asshole... but if you don't have something else lined up as far as employment goes and do have any job skills to speak of IMO your better off just staying where your at until you find something else for employment.

And definitely further your education any chance you get,looks great on a resume but nothing beats real world experience.And if you have a job now try to find a career (there is a difference) in something that you really enjoy doing,it's so much better in the long run if you like what you do.I stand by the saying "I'd rather do nothing and be happy than to do something I don't love"

And I'm sorry to hear you got screwed over on the promotion,and I'm sure your pride is hurt and your pissed off but we all have bills to pay and sometimes we gotta bite our tongues and swallow our pride until we get set up for the next opportunity.

Wish you all the best... :D

I would reiterate what fuzzy has said and stick with it and maybe do some learning while you still have the job if you wish to move.

Or if you are adamant you could volunteer somewhere and you may get taken on.

That is what I did with the job I am in now PC/Repair I worked for nothing so they could see my potential and it worked out.

I'd echo the above advice and to add to what fuzzy felt said if you can find something you love doing its makes a big difference. I never work a day in my life as I am lucky to have a hobby that I get paid for.

2 in fact, photography and driving.

Maybe try some night school classes, electricians and plumbers are worth their weight in gold

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am sorry to hear that.  It is easier to find jobs when you have a job.  I have worked my way from the low levels to executive

I have mentored many people in this area throughout my career.  The people with the most success in their careers (including myself) are doing what they love to do.  Also, if you are doing what you love, you will have a better quality of life.  

My first suggestion to do a self-evaluation and determine your true passions in life - i.e. photography, technology, gaming, graphics art, working on cars, fishing, camping, etc.  Also determine that types of environments that you like working - office, small company, large company, traveling, outdoors, high stress, low stress, etc.   Once you have these, do some research and determine the types of jobs and career that you would like to have.

The next step is to evaluate your transferable skills that would work towards these.   People are often surprised at how well skill sets transfer between different things.  Now look at the skills that you don't have and evaluate how to get those skills - i.e. trade school, classes, college, etc.

Also, you can do some research and find a person within that industry to be your mentor.  You will be surprised at how many people are willing to help.  

When I got out of the military, I had a job that was not going anywhere and I did not have a college degree.  I knew that I wanted to get into commercial technology industry.  I found a great article about a VP for a major telecomm company that was prior Navy.   I wrote him a letter and asked for his help and advice.  I was surprised that he wrote back, gave me his phone number and we arrange a meeting.   Over a few years, he gave a wealth of information and advice.  He definitely got me on the right track.

Some of the things that I learned from him and he pressed hard for me to learn - "Do what you love!!  Work to live and not live to work!!. Most people are promoted to roles that they are already doing; therefore, always stretch beyond your current role and capabilities,"

ye im completly understand that a jobs a job but its not just about not getting the promtion its also about not being able to work under the person that did and im not the only one planning on leaving, cause he bullshitted his way through the interview they gave the job to the guy that has been there less time than any of us has a criminal record he neglected to tell them about , is late nearly every day leaves early nearly every day is an all round arsehole that no member of staff gets on with , knows half as much as i do about the job, thinks dogs talk to trees, claims to have been to space in an out of body experience, thinks theres 3 quarters in a year lol i could go on but thats just a few examples, basically the manager left and thats been on the cards for a long time and so he got away with everything cause he didnt give a shit cause his new job was lined up so just sat back and relaxed till it was time to go and so our area manager that did interviews doesnt know us from adam lol but he will soon learn what hes like lol and i dont think he will be able to fake it for long especially as i wont be lifting a finger to help him and wont train him any further so i will stick it aslong as i can and watch him fail and laugh

Sounds like he wont last long anyhow Daz.

i dont think so but thats when pride comes in as i dont think i could take the job from him then even if they offered it , well not unless they showed some humiliation and offered me more money lol

Daz,

There is some real solid and wise advice in this thread.  Don't make any decisions based on damaged pride. Maintain a professional attitude and stay above the petty actions of lesser individuals. Be ready to step up your responsibilities to show your managers you're there to help the company succeed. Always do the best you can even if it means making your life a little harder from time to time.  Remember your boss doesn't owe you anything.  They hired you to do a job, and they pay you for it. You made that agreement when you were hired. It's not fair to your manager for you to change the dynamics of your role there on your own and without their participation in the decision.

Right now, I am taking a course meant to prep me for my CCNA certification. It takes a lot of my free time these days, but it's an investment in me.  It won't last forever, and if I ever get sacked unexpectedly or if I want to make a change in my life, I'll have a new option in my career repertoire; one that is transferable almost anywhere.  Find something you're interested in a learn about it.  It may lead to a new career, or it may simply enrich your life a little.  In either case you'll be better off for your efforts.

I know what you're feeling.  I think it's safe to say many here have been in a similar situation.  Keep your head up Daz, stay classy.  Need to vent a little?  There's always a lobby full of Randoms on a COD sever with your name on it...and guess what...they're ready to be kill streaked into oblivion at your whim. All you need to do is set the CC sliders and put your console into the Hyper Traffic lane.

All the best!

Daz,

There is some real solid and wise advice in this thread.  Don't make any decisions based on damaged pride. Maintain a professional attitude and stay above the petty actions of lesser individuals. Be ready to step up your responsibilities to show your managers you're there to help the company succeed. Always do the best you can even if it means making your life a little harder from time to time.  Remember your boss doesn't owe you anything.  They hired you to do a job, and they pay you for it. You made that agreement when you were hired. It's not fair to your manager for you to change the dynamics of your role there on your own and without their participation in the decision.

Right now, I am taking a course meant to prep me for my CCNA certification. It takes a lot of my free time these days, but it's an investment in me.  It won't last forever, and if I ever get sacked unexpectedly or if I want to make a change in my life, I'll have a new option in my career repertoire; one that is transferable almost anywhere.  Find something you're interested in a learn about it.  It may lead to a new career, or it may simply enrich your life a little.  In either case you'll be better off for your efforts.

I know what you're feeling.  I think it's safe to say many here have been in a similar situation.  Keep your head up Daz, stay classy.  Need to vent a little?  There's always a lobby full of Randoms on a COD sever with your name on it...and guess what...they're ready to be kill streaked into oblivion at your whim. All you need to do is set the CC sliders and put your console into the Hyper Traffic lane.

All the best!

not making any rash choices but i wont be staying just got to sort where im going first :) me and misses need to look at finances etc and see what options there are.

yes they did and i do plan to do the job i was hired to do and only the job i was hired to do and no longer do the stuff i wasnt hired to do and havent been paid for and this is the thanks i get, he is unable to do them i know this as in the past when he was covering during my holidays etc ive had a big mess of stuff to sort when i got back, those jobs and alot more are now officially his responsibility and his mouth has got him a job his brain is ill equipt to do lol

at minute titanfall is my game of choice for going on a rampage lol

daz...sounds like your coming from a better place today than you were a couple of days ago.And sounds like you have a plan moving forward,which is always a good idea.Make a mature,rational grow up decision,talk to the Mrs and go from there and you'll be fine... :D

Archived