What's more important in BO3??

opa

I have about $120 - $160 to spend and I am wondering if i would benefit from an Elite controller on xbox one or a good headset for Black ops 3? I would appreciate it if you guys could help me decide. Thanks!

Tough call there in my mind, especially if the game you are buying for is BO3.  Sound whoring is a very large part of the game, but once you have the information, you need to be able to do something with it.  Hence the catch-22.

I don't believe that a standard controller is "enough" to play this game.  I feel the same way about AW.  Because of the movement, if you have to constantly take your right thumb from the stick to be able to boost and double jump, you are going to be ice skating uphill against someone with a controller that can do both at the same time (Scuf, Battle Beaver, Elite Controller).  Those are just facts.  You can try playing claw but that shit sucks and hurts my hand after a little bit.

Having said that, I get a lot of kills by using my ears in this game.  If you aren't running Dead Silence, you may as well be running around with one of those circus monkeys that clang symbols in your backpack.  I chose to NOT unlock Dead Silence for my first prestige on XB1 and I have been hating life for minutes every game because of how loud my guy is crunching, crunching, crunching around all the time.

Either one is going to give you a slight advantage and probably "help" you play a bit better.  Both will help a little more than either by itself.

I would say go with a controller first and then do some research on here in the number of threads about headphones (because they can get a little pricey).

headset without a doubt, your headset will always 100% of the time give you an edge over those wothout one but a controller will only save you those times you need to jump and aim etc at same time without the tiny delay of moving you finger from button to analog stick and that wont be that often but you will always hear your surroundings

The answer in reality is both but you only have one choice.

You are on xbox you do not need to buy a new pad as you can remap the bumpers to reload and jump btw.

I would suggest a good headphone and a mix amp but the price is getting over budget.

Headset.

It's a more universal and long-lasting peripheral you will continue to use long after BO3, even CoD itself when it finally goes the way of the DoDo.

Yes, a modded controller will help you in a 1v1, but the idea is to know where your enemies are BEFORE you get into a 1v1, so you can be ready for them, or flank them, prevent them from flanking you, etc.

A controller is way way way more important than a headset IMO. Sounds isn't as big of a deal if you have good map/spawn awareness.

The new app for xbox allows you to remap buttons though, so the bumpers become reload and jump, or what ever you wish :)

I would also go the headset direction (along with a mix amp) there are quality headsets with in your budget.

But your gonna have to shop around a little bit.

The new app for xbox allows you to remap buttons though, so the bumpers become reload and jump, or what ever you wish :)

Even on a regular controller? I know they made the bumper jumper button profile to help people jump/aim w/o having to buy a customer or elite controller.

Anyway my next upgrade is going from a TV to an actual monitor and then headset is probably the last on my list. I don't do very much standing still listening so while surely beneficial it's last on my list currently.

Anyway my next upgrade is going from a TV to an actual monitor and then headset is probably the last on my list. I don't do very much standing still listening so while surely beneficial it's last on my list currently.

As stated, a headset can be used in other games besides CoD and therefore, the sooner you get it, the more money's worth you will receive from it, if you want to look at it from that perspective?

Also, Sound Whoring in CoD is still a thing. Not as much in AW, but now we're back to a "real" CoD game, and sound awareness can often make the difference between who gets the drop on who... Which negates the need for a custom controller if you catch them unaware.

Even on a regular controller? I know they made the bumper jumper button profile to help people jump/aim w/o having to buy a customer or elite controller.

Good point.  The equipment that have made the most difference in my gaming, in order -1) change from high display lag TV to Benq monitor with low display lag 2) Netduma, 3) good headset and 4) good controller (originally scuf, but it breaks often and now waiting for my Battle Beaver Custom controller to arrive).

FYI - I play with friends all over the US with GF off; therefore, Netduma is 2 and not 1.  

That's pretty cool.  While I have reached a point where price isn't a concern on an issue like this, I can remember plenty of days when I would have thought this was a GOD SEND.

That Z guy - He is one plugged in and well informed dude.  Is he our Most Interesting Man??  ;)

That's pretty cool.  While I have reached a point where price isn't a concern on an issue like this, I can remember plenty of days when I would have thought this was a GOD SEND.

That Z guy - He is one plugged in and well informed dude.  Is he our Most Interesting Man??  ;)

Lol, have you been drinking again ;)

Archived