[BO3 Help] Entry Level BufferBloat – “Zennon’s First Rule of Gaming”

Dillinger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, thanks Zen. I will deffo try this for sure. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Or will it be instantly apparent if something is wrong?

Just looking to keep the pings as close to baseline as possible :)

70% each way, reactive should do nicely.

Just looking to keep the pings as close to baseline as possible :)

70% each way, reactive should do nicely.

thanks dude. i might have to do a little reading lol ping plotter is a little confusing at first glance, lots of lines and crosses lol

Its just the last hop you need to look at 8.8.8.8 using the CC while you run a speed test and see if that number is near what you usually have with nothing using the net.

So if you're baseline ping is 14ms try and keep it as close to that while the line is saturated.

My baseline ping is 17ms to 8.8.8.8 and with 70% each way reactive my peak is 18ms

A jitter of 1ms when saturating.

Buffer bloat is jitter while saturating as there is 30% headroom there is hardly any jitter to speak of.

Only worry about buffer bloat if others are using you're internet while you game if your the sole user there is no need to fret unless you have a phone connected or laptop then definitely have CC set up.

I need to throw in a question to the canaries regarding the buffer bloat test on DSL reports. Has anyone needed to reduce their download cc slider more than their upload cc slider? In order for me to keep the meter close to 0 in the download bb test my dl cc slider needs to be at 40-45%. If I don't reduce it by that much, I'll get a regularly occurring huge spike on the meter about 3/4 (anywhere from 300-600ms) the way through the test. The UL meter is fine once I get to 80% on the cc slider. The funny thing is I'll start getting A+ BB and Quality scores even with that surge at anywhere from 70-75.

This happens any time of day and doesn't matter how busy my network is. The spike is sustained for longer if I use the reactive alg. My paid-for BW is 50/50, but I typically see about 58/58. I have to be at a DL of 25 mb or less to keep the R1 from getting that spike of bloat.

Has anyone needed to reduce their download cc slider more than their upload cc slider? In order for me to keep the meter close to 0 in the download bb test my dl cc slider needs to be at 40-45%. If I don't reduce it by that much

I'm not one of the canaries, but yes I have to reduce my download slider to 45% and upload to 77% with the reactive algorithm to get an A+ for bufferbloat. (My internet package is 200/20.) 

Yes I run speed tests as I use pingplotter pinging 8.8.8.8

Speed testing to speedtest.net picking a close server to me to get the best throughput as dsl reports is US owned.

Interesting, I've been using just the dsl reports test, but like you I'm from the UK like so may try this. 

What confuses me though is I previously have run the Netduma diagnostics test and get excellent jitter tests, 0 loss etc with 100% cc

What confuses me though is I previously have run the Netduma diagnostics test and get excellent jitter tests, 0 loss etc with 100% cc

Because all your line is doing is pinging 8.8.8.8 nothing else.

We are testing for when other users are using the internet which could saturate with a download or stream.

Ok. There is only me and the Mrs who use the internet and she only browses her ipad when I'm gaming (Strictly no downloads/streaming) so do I still need to reduce the sliders a bit?

I would say yes, with a caveat that when Zennon posts, read it.  :D

The main reason for moving the sliders off 100% is to preserve some bandwidth in reserve to help handle any increase in spikes or traffic brought on by other household members.  

While they may not be intentionally doing anything, you have pop ups and news video footage that just starts playing on some sites.  Any of that stuff can add some traffic to your line.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found with HyperLane my round trip times to PS4 locally have dropped, but I haven't noticed any significant differences. Possibly might not need as much slider to get that all green, no bounce zero BB, but that is mostly speculation based on my one sample set.

Hyper lane will queue all other packets and let your gaming packets out first, but you will still need and uncongested network for this to be managed correctly.

So what ever CC works best for you still ensure you use it in conjunction with hyper lane is my suggestion :)

with the new update and maintaining the same caps now ive onlye can get an A for both  BB (quality and speed) with the slides at 80%Down 75% UP

my values pre-1.0.6 update for this settings were A+

ive tested with other slides values anda now i can get no better than this, suggestions?

thanks

with the new update and maintaining the same caps now ive onlye can get an A for both  BB (quality and speed) with the slides at 80%Down 75% UP

my values pre-1.0.6 update for this settings were A+

ive tested with other slides values anda now i can get no better than this, suggestions?

thanks

Have you tried adding in the Hyper Lane for just your console?

So you may actually have congestion on the line OUTSIDE of your house.  Plenty of Duma members are learning about the quality of the lines they are paying for and the reports have not been good.

www.pingplotter.com

Download this program and run it at high traffic times in your neighborhood (after school, during peak TV watching times, etc) and make a small log of the quality.  I suspect you may have some line interference that the Duma can not correct because it is both upstream (on the download side) and downstream (on the upload side) of your device.  

The Duma can only assist in helping to buffer the items in your house from affecting your game.  Getting the outside line conditions in proper shape will involve the professionals from (your carrier here).

Man...so many things I've learned since coming here,and that's a big one.Some times I wish I didn't know about shit like that as it's a long uphill battle for some,including me.

• 4 weeks later...

Good work JD and props to Zennon and his method.

​Ted Bundy's lie detector results = Someone using the Netduma R1 with the Arris/Motorola SB6183 modem.

So what you're saying is that this modem is junk? I actually just purchased this modem to work with my "new" high speeds that my isp upgraded us to....

So what you're saying is that this modem is junk? I actually just purchased this modem to work with my "new" high speeds that my isp upgraded us to....

That particular modem doesn't play well with the Netduma R1, but trust me a good modem with the Netduma R1 = gaming bliss.

• Administrators

I believe CoX (if that is who you are with) has a patch/fix for the issue. So would be worth it to ring them so you can get it

Archived