F* it i'm getting an external drive

abc123

1TB Samsung 840 SSD on my PS4.

And 250GB SSD on my PS3.

Let's just say, you get in the game before anyone else and the only thing you have to wait for is for the host or other client players to finish joining.

As for GTA, never had any load times since even in the PS3 version.

It's a worthy investment seeing as you'll be using your PS4 for around 10 years vs a PC which you'll need more space for stuffs.

1TB Samsung 840 SSD on my PS4.

And 250GB SSD on my PS3.

Let's just say, you get in the game before anyone else and the only thing you have to wait for is for the host or other client players to finish joining.

As for GTA, never had any load times since even in the PS3 version.

It's a worthy investment seeing as you'll be using your PS4 for around 10 years vs a PC which you'll need more space for stuffs.

SSDs are always worth the money because you can move them into a laptop or desktop if needed

I went with 500GB Samsung EVO Sata III with USB 3 Exclosure since the Xbone only has SATA II inside...

@ abc can I ask you what made you decide to do this before I ask you if I should be getting one too... :D

went back to playing destiny, load times are ridiculous in destiny.

This lowers them by about ~42%

@ abc...would you get one if you just played COD ?

And did you get my E-mail ?

i wouldn't get it for CoD only, i'll be using it for CoD but it won't do much i'll just load into maps much much faster.

I already replied to your email

Really? That's interesting. Would one of you highly technical types point me towards an SSD for the Xbox platforms? And, can one drive be used for both?

Thanks for posting this info guys!

just a tipp, dont buy a SSD for the PS4

the background recording cannot be stopped as far as i know which results in the SSD constantly being written on whenever you play to save the last 15 minutes

the Xbox One is saving the last 5 minutes in the ram i think unlike the PS4

anyhow ive read lots of peoples posts with their SSDs already being broken just after a year of PS4 useage

if anything use a SSHD for the PS4

the background recording cannot be stopped as far as i know which results in the SSD constantly being written on whenever you play to save the last 15 minutes

anyhow ive read lots of peoples posts with their SSDs already being broken just after a year of PS4 useage

Really? I had mine since August 17 2014. And I can't believe it's almost a year. Hahaha

But so far, so good. I was invited to do various beta testing of games and I play a variety of games from RPG to Dance to FPS to even card games (YuGiOh! anyone?). But I have never had a problem with my SSD HDD though.

Will do more research into the matter.

As for my PS3, I had a Crucial M4 256GB SSD in it since 09 August 2012. Still performing great.

VYmi0aEl.png

Really? That's interesting. Would one of you highly technical types point me towards an SSD for the Xbox platforms? And, can one drive be used for both?

Thanks for posting this info guys!

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO

Enclosure: Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP)

Note: DO NOT PUT THE SSD IN THE XBOX OR PS4, they don't have the proper speed or handling of SSDs instead use the above USB external enclosure as it handles SSDs properly.  More importantly the Xbox only has SATA II support and USB3 is 250% faster than SATA II.

I would only do this external, so the system itself will not benefit from it just in-game load times are changed.

A tip for windows users that use ssd or even hdd, Windows index's constantly thrashing your drives and eating up cpu cycles.

Turn off windows search in services to stop this.

• Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
  • Select the "Windows Search" service
  • Double click windows search
  • Click the "Stop" button to halt the indexing service
  • Select "Disabled" from the Startup Type drop-down and click OK to accept the new settings

Enclosure: Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP)

Note: DO NOT PUT THE SSD IN THE XBOX OR PS4, they don't have the proper speed or handling of SSDs instead use the above USB external enclosure as it handles SSDs properly.  More importantly the Xbox only has SATA II support and USB3 is 250% faster than SATA II.

Thanks abc - When you say that the Xbox only has SATA II support, but the USB3 is faster, will there be any issues?  Or is this a case where the device can accept speeds up to and including?

I would only do this external, so the system itself will not benefit from it just in-game load times are changed.

Did you test the speeds you're getting with that drive using the enclosure? I did some research before I jumped for an external drive and I was reading that the enclosure's chip could impact the speed of the SSD and it's not worth it at that point. Even saw those results in some videos comparing the SSD to a good 7200 rpm drive. The differences were only by a few seconds.

I opted for the HGST 7200 rpm drive  which my friends were jealous of because I always loaded into everything before them. Although after being an Xbox fanboy for years, I got a PS4 and that solved all my problems lol.

A tip for windows users that use ssd or even hdd, Windows index's constantly thrashing your drives and eating up cpu cycles.

Turn off windows search in services to stop this.

• Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
  • Select the "Windows Search" service
  • Double click windows search
  • Click the "Stop" button to halt the indexing service
  • Select "Disabled" from the Startup Type drop-down and click OK to accept the new settings

Whenever I use an SSD I always run the Samsung Magician software to configure the OS to run safer for an SSD. It does everything automatically.

Thanks abc - When you say that the Xbox only has SATA II support, but the USB3 is faster, will there be any issues?  Or is this a case where the device can accept speeds up to and including?

USB 3.0 tops out at 5Gbps

Sata III (6.0) tops out at 6Gbps

Both are way way way higher than an SSDs speed (Up to 540 MBps is less than the 640MBps limit of USB 3.0), this of course could be maxed with the xbox and a usb enclosure.  After I receive it tomorrow I can run tests.

I picked this one up for $109 USD. It has its own power source which supposedly makes it faster. 3TB and I'm super happy. I went from less than 20% free space to 90% free.

That one isn't super fast 7200rpm max

Does the Xbox One have a max for external storage? I know you can only connect two drives at a time.

16TB per drive with a max of two drives

Did you test the speeds you're getting with that drive using the enclosure? I did some research before I jumped for an external drive and I was reading that the enclosure's chip could impact the speed of the SSD and it's not worth it at that point. Even saw those results in some videos comparing the SSD to a good 7200 rpm drive. The differences were only by a few seconds.

I opted for the HGST 7200 rpm drive  which my friends were jealous of because I always loaded into everything before them. Although after being an Xbox fanboy for years, I got a PS4 and that solved all my problems lol.

Whenever I use an SSD I always run the Samsung Magician software to configure the OS to run safer for an SSD. It does everything automatically.

Yeah the hybrids are very very nice and comparable with the SSDs

Archived