Fixed CPU usage spike issue coming next week.

Thank you for your work.
But is this the Call:
daemon.err odhcp6c[4865]: Failed to send SOLICIT message to ff02::1:2 (Cannot assign requested address)

I have the log full of this or is it normal?

• Netduma Staff
5 minutes ago, Fairypusher said:

Thank you for your work.
But is this the Call:
daemon.err odhcp6c[4865]: Failed to send SOLICIT message to ff02::1:2 (Cannot assign requested address)

I believe this is DHCP requesting an IPv6 address and not getting one.

This is not concerning as long as you can connect to the internet. Your ISP most likely provides IPv4 only.

If you would like support with anything, please create a new thread instead because I most likely will not be able to provide support quickly since I am developing.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Fairypusher said:

Thank you for your work.
But is this the Call:

You will see alot of those in your logs like that if you have IPV6 disabled on your R3.. So in that type of scenario that is normal ..

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Zippy.

@Netduma CameronSo basically it a packet acceleration focused CPU like the XR1000 has...makes sense if it for stability I just thought that wouldn't have an effect if all CPU's were used to balance each other but I guess I am wrong on that end...

On 1/10/2024 at 6:27 AM, Netduma Cameron said:

Hi, I'm one of the backend developers.

This issue was causing small latency spikes of up to 4ms, caused by high CPU usage of the Data Usage Daemon (part of the Network Activity history feature). It's been fixed and now has 0-1% CPU usage all the time. This is coming to the next firmware, most likely next week.

If you're interested in the technical details, the issue was caused by an unneeded system call causing malloc/free for every flow measured.

Thank you for buying the Netduma R3 early!

Can I please test this new firmware that corrects the CPU usage issue?  I reported it on December 23rd, didnt know why specifically it was always at 80-100% but it was a clear indicator to me that issues pertained to that.  I’m happy to provide feedback and test any specific changes to it

On 1/11/2024 at 3:27 AM, Netduma Cameron said:

This issue was causing small latency spikes of up to 4ms, caused by high CPU usage of the Data Usage Daemon (part of the Network Activity history feature). It's been fixed and now has 0-1% CPU usage all the time. This is coming to the next firmware, most likely next week.

If you're interested in the technical details, the issue was caused by an unneeded system call causing malloc/free for every flow measured.

Will this also be fixed for the Telstra DumaOS version?

On 1/10/2024 at 4:27 PM, Netduma Cameron said:

Is this pertaining to cpu2 usage. On my R3 that's the cpu that's 80 to 100 percent usage all the time?

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't think we were aware this was an issue there, have you been seeing that?

I feel that I have been experiencing unexplained Latency spikes. Not sure if it is caused by this issue. How can I help to determine if this also an issue on Telstra DumaOS?

Has a hot fox been released for this issue? CPU utilization at 100% percent idle is very bad for a router. Particularly, a gaming router. I’m experiencing the same issue with no devices connected to the router except for my PC.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, JasonKnight said:

Is this pertaining to cpu2 usage. On my R3 that's the cpu that's 80 to 100 percent usage all the time?

The CPU in general, usage should be much better.

19 hours ago, MuRF FuRY said:

I feel that I have been experiencing unexplained Latency spikes. Not sure if it is caused by this issue. How can I help to determine if this also an issue on Telstra DumaOS?

Could you make a new topic please? Check the CPU usage when you get the latency spike and see if it is similar.

18 hours ago, MikeWilde said:

I've noticed 100% on CPU0 or CPU2 with next to nothing going on. This seems pretty much consistent. Not sure if this is related or being cause by PPPoE.

2 hours ago, cljackhammer said:

Has a hot fox been released for this issue? CPU utilization at 100% percent idle is very bad for a router. Particularly, a gaming router. I’m experiencing the same issue with no devices connected to the router except for my PC.

31 minutes ago, ORAMAS said:

Same problem with my router even with nobody connected to it except my phone.

The issue will most likely be affecting everyone, it's not available yet but will be this week.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:21 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

The issue will most likely be affecting everyone, it's not available yet but will be this week.

Hey so any update on this?  It’s Saturday and nothing… my router needs to be restarted every few hours and its super annoying having to disable smart ping every time

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Megatf said:

Hey so any update on this?  It’s Saturday and nothing… my router needs to be restarted every few hours and its super annoying having to disable smart ping every time

Will be next week now

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

Will be next week now

Will the app finally work next week?  Hasnt worked for me since launch, platform not supported even though R3 is selected

IMG_0660.png

IMG_0661.png

Also my router is also super hot all the time, its sitting on a normal surface.  My CPU usage is always at 100% which is why I have to restart every few hours and Im just hoping this update rolls out before we start burning out our CPUs

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Megatf said:

Will the app finally work next week?  Hasnt worked for me since launch, platform not supported even though R3 is selected

11 minutes ago, Megatf said:

Also my router is also super hot all the time, its sitting on a normal surface.  My CPU usage is always at 100% which is why I have to restart every few hours and Im just hoping this update rolls out before we start burning out our CPUs

Uninstall the app then re-install it and it will work. You also have to be directly connected to the R3 WiFi.

By super hot how do you mean? There is plenty of ventilation, is there a lot around it? You don't need to restart it, the CPU will drop, it won't run all the time that high, it will fluctuate. Update will be next week

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Uninstall the app then re-install it and it will work. You also have to be directly connected to the R3 WiFi.

By super hot how do you mean? There is plenty of ventilation, is there a lot around it? You don't need to restart it, the CPU will drop, it won't run all the time that high, it will fluctuate. Update will be next week

It’s pretty consistently at 100%, 15+ seconds of high usage then 15 seconds of low.  Sure, thats some fluctuation but the rest of the CPUs stay under 10%. Only my cellphone is connected to the device. 

My R3 is elevated, sitting on the cardboard box it came with.  If I put my hand on the top of it, its hotter than my PC

IMG_0665.png

IMG_0664.png