QoS

Hi guys, 

I have 1000mbps up and down, i keep getting told to use QoS and dont use QoS. 

Some say that if i add QoS to my network for playing cod, that the packets have to go into a que and be sorted out an that can cause bad hit reg in the game. 

Others say QoS is needed and the above dosent affect it. 

Im still on with fixing my network from my ISP before i delve into sorting out all the settings in the XR700. Just wanna get ahead. 

What are your experiences with QoS soley for Warzone 2. Does adding it cause you bad hit reg, or does it help? 

@davemarsden132That makes literally no sense as to the people that say not to use qos...you need qos in order to have packets transfer efficiently without it affecting your network/ping that the reason qos was created in the first place also qos isn't part of netduma it is created by several users globally and they're different variations similar to it and everyone understands the benefits. The only time it wouldn't be necessary is if your running like 5-10G PLUS Internet infrastructure but even then there some buffering and that were QOS comes in to get rid of that issue though realistically speaking you'll be spending a lot more than that just do to the limitation of the Netduma QOS and it might be OK to not use qos if your not having users hog the bandwidth/affect latency do to that though I'd be surprised if that was the case on a 5-10G lane infrastructure 😂

With a 1 Gbps up/dl connection, in other words, using QoS will be useless... Because apart from having an app that sends or receives 110 MB/s (1gbps up/dl) at the same time as you play , your connection will not be impacted!

On the other hand, what can be interesting with the use of QoS is the priority of sending / receiving packets according to the applications you use (games / stream / VOIP or other).

Take for example SmartQoS on the R2, the prioritized packets (app/devices) will no longer be in the queue because they have priority! With the DPI the favorite packets (probed and listed)

...no longer go through the queue (VIP).

@davemarsden132There is one more factor to add as where qos is not needed and that is the travel time of packets from servers so if you live near a server it not needed at all since the packets don't travel far and so efficiency isn't required in those instances

6 hours ago, DARKNESS said:

@davemarsden132There is one more factor to add as where qos is not needed and that is the travel time of packets from servers so if you live near a server it not needed at all since the packets don't travel far and so efficiency isn't required in those instances

So the qos acts on the traceroute....😒😒

8 hours ago, davemarsden132 said:

Hi guys, 

Some say that if i add QoS to my network for playing cod, that the packets have to go into a que and be sorted out an that can cause bad hit reg in the game. 

Im still on with fixing my network from my ISP before i delve into sorting out all the settings in the XR700. Just wanna get ahead. 

What are your experiences with QoS soley for Warzone 2. Does adding it cause you bad hit reg, or does it help? 

On your router you will always have a qdisc it's a default queuing discipline in 90% of cases it's fq_codel. With or without qos there will always be traffic shaping.

With Qos: Script created by the manufacturer to shape the traffic as he wishes.

Without Qos: shapping default. (fq_codel)

• Administrators
9 hours ago, davemarsden132 said:

Hi guys, 

Best thing to do is just give it a try, see what works best for you. With your speeds yes QoS is less of a requirement and more of a nice to have but only takes 1 download to be in lag city so always a good idea to use QoS in my opinion and with Traffic Prio gaming can be prioritized so it won't be in a queue.

@KingzzyI never said it acts on the trace route I said it not needed if your routing is close to a data center since your latency is non existent why do you think all this Youtubers live next to a data center and act like they're good at playing with no ping 😂

7 minutes ago, DARKNESS said:

@KingzzyJe n’ai jamais dit qu’il agit sur la route de traçage J’ai dit qu’il n’était pas nécessaire si votre routage est proche d’un centre de données puisque votre latence est inexistante pourquoi pensez-vous que la plupart des Youtubers vivent à côté d’un centre de données et agissent comme s’ils étaient bons pour jouer sans ping 😂

Ask yourself the right questions on the principle that we are talking about call of duty games, so why use a vpn like 99% of youtuber steamers when they have an extremely low ping and live very close to the game servers.

@KingzzyAlso what you said is a false statement lag compensation does not affect ping/distance...what it actually affects is the lag of your character model in a game it tries to sync the perspective of both players to be exactly the same next time do some research before making statements

I don't use QoS on 1Gbit up/down with XR500 as it literally does nothing.

When a packet is send, it reaches the traffic queues and there is no wait time unless your connection is saturated. There is something a need to run a bandwidth limit because the physical limit for a 1Gbit card is 940 mbit, so if you tell the router that you have 1000 mbit available the traffic shaper goes out of whack.

On my 600/40 connection with XR700 I do use QoS due to the low upload speed.

Also note that QoS only really works on your upload side. You do not have control over packets getting send from the internet. You also have no control over packets traveling to the server once they leave your router. You can only control the little piece between your router and gaming device. 

I found some pretty cool software that uses TCP and UDP download and uploading, with continuous downloading and uploading for as long as you want.

CST

Can use this to saturate your link. The trick I found to actually use higher bandwidth is to go to the 'advanced' section of the tool and change 'HTTP downloader max thread count'  and 'HTTP uploader max thread count' from default values to say '200' for Mbps, works for gigabit as well.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:04 AM, TrayDay said:

I found some pretty cool software that uses TCP and UDP download and uploading, with continuous downloading and uploading for as long as you want.

CST

Can use this to saturate your link. The trick I found to actually use higher bandwidth is to go to the 'advanced' section of the tool and change 'HTTP downloader max thread count'  and 'HTTP uploader max thread count' from default values to say '200' for Mbps, works for gigabit as well.

hey pretty cool tool you found. the default values mare already 200 did you mena another value?

1 hour ago, MainLifeline said:

hey pretty cool tool you found. the default values mare already 200 did you mena another value?

Yes, you can change the value to anything higher. I thought it was lower. The default value of '200' caps at 200mbps

CST_01.thumb.jpg.66fd2d772c0ce4991fa69f5220990707.jpgCST_02.thumb.jpg.f6cefd6d860ec2a1787cedf4cb79f11f.jpgCST_04.thumb.jpg.de6c663a35f0e8099eaadfe46129330d.jpgCST_03.thumb.jpg.44aead26b3dc6613a25a731bb800f85c.jpg