Warzone 2 and share excess download and upload

Rozay

For the last couple of days I have been messing around with my XR500.  I have been trying everyone's different settings for COD with throttling and QOS settings and prioritizations. But for my own personal network non of them were very effective. I ended up factory resetting my XR500. I kept qos on never and 100/100 on the sliders. I turned off Classified Games as I felt that it caused more issues with hit reg for my own network. What I did end up doing is geo filtering to the servers in upstate NY area. In addition to unticking both share excess upload and download. What I realized after hours of playing is that I felt ahead of the opponents. Plus my hit registration was significantly better. Everything else on the router was left default with no changes to qos except disabling classified games. My internet is from spectrum and comes in at 637dl/24ul. Has anyone else tried something similar?

One thing I find interesting about this, the ISP. Spectrum always have things going on with their HUBs or MODEM and or Routers. If you're using spectrum OWN Modem or Router, this could also be something with that. As @Zippy and I noticed when it comes to Spectrum equipment. At the end of the day, what works for others may or may not work for others due to the way ISP handle the network and infrastructure is setup in your area. Now, what also might be a factor is the tech of the xr500. It does have pretty beefy hardware, along with the xr1000. One user theillestbeast consistently put out videos on the xr500 and xr1000 for a long while

@TrayDay that's interesting you note that. In my area they just started getting fiber. So I will be switching over to that from spectrum. I've had spectrum for years now and there network infrastructure is sub par. One thing I've noticed is that QOS does not work well whatsoever with their internet structure. I end up losing aim assist more often than not and even losing pace in game. Feeling delayed. Whatever their queueing setup is, just doesn't work well. Atleast in this area. I also use their modem from them funny enough in the beginning I used their own wifi 6 enabled router and I had gotten the same results game play wise as my XR500. WHICH, leads me to believe that it's more if the infrastructure and hub split than the router itself. The spectrum router itself comes with IPV6 enabled by default. When I would use the spectrum router. It would show ipv4 and ipv4 on the Xbox series x. With IPV6 enabled...my in-game sensitivity that I had felt more loose and felt doubled. Example 6-6 sensitivity would feel like 12-12. At first I thought maybe it's a placebo. Until I had several friends try it on my setup and they immediately noticed the difference. We are all higher KD players so enough practice and we could notice the small difference. Both the spectrum router and XR500 with IPV6 felt exactly the same. When I turned off the IPV6 on xr500 the game felt more one to one if you will. I think spectrum in general is just crap. 

@TrayDay I use to watch illest beasts video on his hit registration setup. He used auto setup with my router doesn't have but I tried to copy it. QOS just made it worse in every way. Bigger delay. And loss of aim assist. So I turned it off. The only thing that briefly helped was manually port forwarding warzone ports which made hit detection better but after a few games it would go to crap and once I turn the Xbox off it would feel like crap again after starting up.

@Rozay What's the model number of your Modem from Spectrum?

You mentioned Spectrum Router. When you felt the sensitivity feeling loose/doubled, was the setup Modem<R2 or was it Modem<Spectrum Router<R2 or Modem<R2<Spectrum Router, with IPv6 enabled?

For many years, many have reported that IPv6, disabled, was always the best.

@Zippy definitely can chime in here about Spectrum, IPv6 and Xbox. As this is their setup.

Others have reported having IPv6 enabled helps. I personally, noticed those with Fiber ISP, tends to have better feedback with IPv6 enabled.

@TrayDay the model number for the modem is ES2251. I don't believe it has a puma chipset which is known to cause issues. I could be wrong. My setup was spectrum modem ES2251 connected to spectrum router connected to my Xbox series x.

Now I have spectrum modem ES2251 connected to XR500 Netgear netduma connected to Xbox series x. 

And yes on both occasions. The spectrum router had IPV6 enabled by default and it felt loose and doubled. So when I tried my XR500 router instead of the spectrum router. I enabled IPV6 on my XR500 manually by clicking on auto configuration. Which then gave me the IPV6 address from spectrum on my router and then showed up on my XBOX. on both routers it felt loose. I furthermore, went and bought a ASUS ROG STRIX wifi 6 gaming router and turned on IPV6 on that as well and it felt the same loose and doubled. The Asus router has a dedicated gaming port for your Ethernet and it does automatic QOS in that port and it's just bad. I think QOS does not mesh well with SPECTRUMS infrastructure. 

I have a house in California and upstate New York. And travel back and forth with my stuff. I have spectrum at both locations. The results are exactly the same. At each. @Zippy

@Rozay

Yes, the ES2251is known to possibly not have the puma 6 chipsets. But a Puma 7 or MxL, which the EN units, was not so kind of have on the early units. So it's been issues for those with EN Units. The ES in the first rollout years back was having some problems with dropouts, but that's all been taken care of with the ES Units. As the modem units from spectrum currently that would be 'essential' for gaming would be as follows since this is the main Units now; ET, ES, EN.

But, yes, IPv6 ON, could potentially be of importance to XBOX gamers. PlayStation, to my knowledge, only allows the use of IPv6 for streaming apps. Although, they could allow game apps to also allow it, if the devs provide the implementation for it in their games.

Great to hear you're having good results with it DISABLED. I know you're going to have an even better time when you get your Fiber setup just right, when you acquire it.

@TrayDayjust hopped on warzone for a bit. Didn't change any settings or anything since yesterday. Everything was exactly the same. With share excess disabled and qos set to never. And the game felt terrible again. No aim assist, bad hit registration felt delayed behind the opponent. I set the geo filtering a bit away from me too. Ranked on warzone is where it's most evident. That's where I get immediately melted I feel like I'm almost 5-6 seconds behind target. 

@Rozay I know this may sound counterintuitive, but, turn the Xbox off and give the xr500 a reboot. Let it sit for about two to three minutes after rebooting. Then, power on the Xbox, and give a gaming session a go. Sometimes, resetting the cache can be helpful. Since, you didn't change any settings. You also mentioned, everything is at default. So, I figure this must also be the UPnP being enabled by default also (this is how it is on R2). You also mentioned port forwarding at one time.

@Rozay Probably just one of those days. Going into the weekend, more players online, server load. Could be various factors at play. You can give port forwarding a try, again, and see how that pan out. I don't know what else could try. As you tried playing on servers further away and that didn't seem to help. Some may call, SBMM/EOMM, but that's going into speculation territory. Wish I could offer more assistance.

Hey @Rozay  When you have the XR500 hooked up and have IPV6 enabled do you have UPNP enabled or disabled?

If you have IPV6 enabled try and disable UPNP ang reboot the XR500..  If things are working correctly you should still have an Open NAT even with UPNP disabled using IPV6 ..

What do you get?

Thanks!

Zippy.

@Zippy I haven't tried the IPV6 with UPNP disabled. How do you set your IPV6 up? Do you simply hit auto configuration? Furthermore I tried to factory reset my xr500. Which it did but after setting everything up through the setup menus when I got back into the XR500 GUI the qos settings still remained and nothing was properly erased @Netduma Fraser

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, Rozay said:

@Zippy I haven't tried the IPV6 with UPNP disabled. How do you set your IPV6 up? Do you simply hit auto configuration? Furthermore I tried to factory reset my xr500. Which it did but after setting everything up through the setup menus when I got back into the XR500 GUI the qos settings still remained and nothing was properly erased @Netduma Fraser

How did you factory reset exactly, via the interface or hardware button? If the button how long did you hold it for?

Through the GUI and the button.i tried it twice just to be sure. The only way it reset itself was by reverting the firmware to .114 and then factory reset and then updating to .134 when the prompt said an update is available. Once the .134 duma os was loaded like normal. I went and changed the qos settings and factory reset again. Same thing. The setting's remained and nothing was changed. @Netduma Fraser

Held the button until all the lights turned off and the led turned orange and the network SSID reverted back to it's original name. 

Also something to note is that I can't use 2.4Ghz by itself I always have to split into 2.4g and 5g. The reason is because when I have only 2.4ghz on and just one SSID with smart control. The router many times will crash and reboot itself. It has happened every time I have smart control on with one SSID. Instead of splitting them into 2.4 and 5. It never used to happen but one time I turned on 160hz and then disabled it and noticed that after the regardless of factory reset or reverting firmware the router after a few hours or so will crash and completely disconnect everything and then reboot itself. I realized that the only way to stop that was from having to split SSID. Basically making smart control obselete. @Netduma Fraser

@Netduma Fraser i tried to load the beta up again but it says that the OS is not supported something along that line.

Also these are some forum questions which you responded to.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-rebooting-itself/td-p/1940732

Seems like it's an occurrence. And mine will work for a few minutes then reboot itself in the middle of gaming or business calls. It'll reboot itself back to normal. But then crash..

There was a forum post somewhere that I had read and the person said that it glitches the firmware on the Router or router itself when HT160 and smart control are active at the same time. Since then even after disabling ht160 then smart control does not work. 

@Netduma Fraser 

The forum post is just linked is exactly what's happening with mine. Word for word. The same issue. I bought the XR500 brand new about a year and half ago from GameStop. Seems like it's failing or maybe just a bug glitch that doesn't get cleared when cache is cleared from factory reset/reverting firmware.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/31340-xr500-wifi-issue-w-ht160-and-smart-connect-enabled/

@Netduma Fraser no none. I think it's just an issue that bugged in now permanently. Kinda like what the guy was saying in the post I linked uptop. I keep smart control on. It gets stuck in a boot cycle every hour or so and disconnects everything. Reverting firmware then upgrading doesn't do anything. Seems like a perma bug. The way it happened was by having smart control on and ht160 on. Since then even having ht160 off and with factory resets it still remains.

• Administrators

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-Microsoft-Windows-Command-Prompt?article=000059634 then see if that resolves it.