will new modem reduce jitter?

infernomachine

• Administrators

Game jitter and isp jitter are two differnent things I am not sure the duma can fix jitter caused by congestion, can it Fraser? could you ask Iain for us?

It will help out with jitter and spikes etc but if theres a legitimate issue with your connection then no, I'm afraid it won't help. 

thats crazy i even had charter 100 ultra connection the 100 down and 5 up and i didnt see no difference online at all so i downgraded back to the 60 down and 4 up.

everytime i tell them something is wrong they always say o everything looks good on our end when i know for a fact something is wrong i was playing black op 2 yesterday and i was on a one  bar and the host ping was like 40 the whole lobby was on a 4 bar expect me. charter sucks lol and im stuck with them until i move because where im at now thats the only isp we can get 

That's funny I did the same thing two or three months ago, I think I'm going to bring in a second isp from Centurylink it's a dsl lower speed but I think it will be more stable overall, then I can just switch between the two when one is acting up.

So yes I am on Coax.. fiber not available here and the modem is from charter.

okay, back on topic time.

If you are using Charters equipment you are paying something like $5 a month for "rental" of the modem...go buy one.

You'll get ~8Mb/s gain on speed (with motorola or Zoom modem).  You'll also get a better connection.

This will be less ping times but the jitter won't change much as this is the ISP being the ISP.  There is also some physics involved in that much copper travelling that long of a distance.

you don't need that much upload/download to game...

You need about ~750Kb/s up and down and you are fine...you won't get host but you can game just fine...

Note: With this small amount of bandwidth if you have others using the internet to even watch youtube you'll lag tremendously...

Gaming requires very little bandwidth, the biggest part is latency and that means DSL is the winner normally as it goes from Twisted pair cable to fiber...not COAX to COAX to COAX to COAX

Recommend a good DSL provider?

you don't need that much upload/download to game...

You need about ~750Kb/s up and down and you are fine...you won't get host but you can game just fine...

Note: With this small amount of bandwidth if you have others using the internet to even watch youtube you'll lag tremendously...

Gaming requires very little bandwidth, the biggest part is latency and that means DSL is the winner normally as it goes from Twisted pair cable to fiber...not COAX to COAX to COAX to COAX 

my girlfriend watches netflix when im gaming it doesnt be lagging for her my hit registration on cod is terrible sometimes but other shooter games its perfect the problem is cod lol

http://stopthecap.com/2014/09/04/zoom-telephonics-upset-with-charter-about-customer-owned-modem-policies/  is this true?

WOW...Finally!!!  Just spoke to tech and finally confirmed there is an issue the modem reported 2,000 critical responses since june 23rd. What that means i have no idea but said it is caused by lines outside the house. tech coming out thursday

http://stopthecap.com/2014/09/04/zoom-telephonics-upset-with-charter-about-customer-owned-modem-policies/  is this true?

WOW...Finally!!!  Just spoke to tech and finally confirmed there is an issue the modem reported 2,000 critical responses since june 23rd. What that means i have no idea but said it is caused by lines outside the house. tech coming out thursday

doesn't mean anything without the real log, my modem gets crit err all the time...it is normally just missing auth packages

Don't get me started on Charter and their less than helpful info after I provided them with proof of severe node overload (thanks to abc) and documented this for 14 days on my pingtest account.It was all out there in black and white as I sent the info to abc and he marked up all the areas where there was overload (thanks again brother) and they chose to ignore it and gave me the old...Your getting the speeds you pay for so everything looks good on our end... :angry:

post-1420-0-47077300-1438910049_thumb.jpgSo after sending proof ping plotter and techs out to the house on more than a dozen times I think they figured they should look into my issue further. Turns out bad cable coming in from street and critical incidents from modem. Cables and splitter replaced along with new modem seems to have fixed some of the issues. Ping has stayed the same around 25 but jitter down to 1ms-4ms....AW is still garbage though!!!!

128396764.png

attachicon.giffix.jpgSo after sending proof ping plotter and techs out to the house on more than a dozen times I think they figured they should look into my issue further. Turns out bad cable coming in from street and critical incidents from modem. Cables and splitter replaced along with new modem seems to have fixed some of the issues. Ping has stayed the same around 25 but jitter down to 1ms-4ms....AW is still garbage though!!!!

128396764.png

awesome news dude, i'm happy for you.

Archived