Still having wifi issues - about to replace Netduma

Ru2u

Been having major wifi issues lately and I'm about to replace my R1 with my old router if I can't get this thing working like it used to.

I just bought a new laptop and while in the same room with the R1 I am only getting less than 10-20MB down and less than 1-2MB up. While my computer on ethernet gets 129MB down and 12MB up. My cell phone sometimes gets up to 60MB down and 12MB up on wifi in the same room as the R1

After 4 hours on the phone with Dell Tech Support they are gonna come and replace the wireless card in my laptop to see if that fixes the issue but I feel it might be something with the R1.

I run a program called Wifi Analyzer where I can monitor the signal strength of my wifi and as soon as I leave the room where my R1 is located the signal drops dramatically. When I move to my second floor which is directly above my R1 I get almost no signal on my bed but when I lift my laptop or tablet or cell phone in the air above my bed my signal improves, (weird)

Some members are claiming they can get a signal across the street but I can barely get a signal in the next room. I have switched channels, constant router reboots and numerous speed tests. I even woke up this morning and had no internet but then rebooted the R1 and it came back.

• Administrators

So how was the Wifi before you got this new laptop? Open network and sharing center, change adapter settings on the left, right click the wifi connection, go to properties. Untick IPv6, click on IPv4 and ensure its all set to automatic. 

Just use a different router for wifi only. I need 5 Ghz band so I have an Asus router connected to the Duma as a Access Point only and it works great. Have had this setup for 7 months now and no issues. 

So how was the Wifi before you got this new laptop? Open network and sharing center, change adapter settings on the left, right click the wifi connection, go to properties. Untick IPv6, click on IPv4 and ensure its all set to automatic. 

Fraser, wifi when I got the R1 last year was fine. All of a sudden the past few months have been up and down. I always got horrible speeds on my tablet but I was just attributing that to it being a crappy tablet and probably having an old wireless chip inside  but I expected my laptop to fly since it's a top of the line laptop running the newest 802.11ac wireless protocol. I should be getting wireless N speeds. I've already disabled all the IPv6 stuff months ago and the wifi workaround thing. I've posted before about wifi issues and resolved it by changing channels but now that doesn't seem to be fixing it..

Just use a different router for wifi only. I need 5 Ghz band so I have an Asus router connected to the Duma as a Access Point only and it works great. Have had this setup for 7 months now and no issues. 

I have the same set up and don't appear to have any issues with it so far, had it up about a month

Thanks for the info, I might have to try this. Do you have the other router before or after the R1? Right now I'm running modem to R1 to a netgear gigabit switch (needed more ports)

Thanks for the info, I might have to try this. Do you have the other router before or after the R1? Right now I'm running modem to R1 to a netgear gigabit switch (needed more ports)

You could connect the Asus to the switch and put it in AP mode. Configure the IP for the Asus to match your current R1 network. Or you could go Modem-Switch-then connect the R1 and then the Asus to the switch. If you connect the AP to the router then all the data has to travel through the R1 and congest up the R1 in my opinion. Let the Netduma do just gaming because thats why you got it.

Have you unticked the wifi work around in misc settings ?

Also with wifi analyzer can you see your neighbours and are they near your channel if so change channel.

Also with wifi analyzer can you see your neighbours and are they near your channel if so change channel.

Hey Zennon, I've seen this advice a couple of times now, do we have a friendly video or easy follow example we can save on a short list and post up for perspective problem threads?

• Administrators

Fraser, wifi when I got the R1 last year was fine. All of a sudden the past few months have been up and down. I always got horrible speeds on my tablet but I was just attributing that to it being a crappy tablet and probably having an old wireless chip inside  but I expected my laptop to fly since it's a top of the line laptop running the newest 802.11ac wireless protocol. I should be getting wireless N speeds. I've already disabled all the IPv6 stuff months ago and the wifi workaround thing. I've posted before about wifi issues and resolved it by changing channels but now that doesn't seem to be fixing it..

Have you done that on your new PC as well? It may be worth running a test to see the least congested channel if it did work before. As others have suggested you could put an access point behind the duma, thus giving you all the congestion control abilities of the R1 with the speed of AC wifi as well :)

It could be a compatibility issue with your wifi card and the channel the R1 is set to, or it could be the wifi card is bad. I don't think it's the R1 since you say your other devices wifi is working fine off it.

Yes I have wifi workaround unticked. I have tried every switching channels numerous times. I always try to pick the least congested and usually try 1, 7 or 11 since they don't overlap.

Have you done that on your new PC as well? It may be worth running a test to see the least congested channel if it did work before. As others have suggested you could put an access point behind the duma, thus giving you all the congestion control abilities of the R1 with the speed of AC wifi as well :)

I've tried all different channels and that only seems to work for a short time then it gets bad again. I'm gonna add my old Netgear N900 Gigabit Router in the mix and see if that works better than using the wifi on the R1

It could be a compatibility issue with your wifi card and the channel the R1 is set to, or it could be the wifi card is bad. I don't think it's the R1 since you say your other devices wifi is working fine off it.

Dell is sending a tech out this week to replace my wireless card and see if that fixes my problem

Just had a quick scan of the earlier post's and I do not see this question, have you turned off wifi on you other router as this will cause a clash.

You could try and re-tick the work around to test that.

Ok so I spent all night re-configuring my network and these are the results....

1) Disabled wifi in R1

2) Removed the switch and added back my old Netgear N900 Gigabit router in its place after the R1 as an AP

3) I tested my wifi and got over 100MB down and 12MB up on all my wireless devices where before was only getting less than 20 down and 2 up

4) Realized the Netgear wasn't in AP mode so I activated it and assigned a static IP in the R1 for it

5) Tested speeds again and can't get a consistent speed like before and this morning I was back to less than 20 down and 2 up

Tested on 3 wireless devices, phone tablet and laptop. It seems like when anything is going thru the R1 I have issues but when I switch back to my old router everything is fine. Dell is coming out in 2 hours to replace my wireless card in my laptop but I don't seem to think that is the issue anymore since I was able to achieve over 100MB down and 12 up when connected wirelessly to my old router when not in AP mode

Ok so the only wifi available should be the wifi from your N900 router-- it is in access point mode.  The R1's wifi should be turned off. 

Go to Congestion control: May sure the values in the R1's set bandwidth is your real world value and not what you pay for.  Also I know I have seen values get placed in the wrong areas so make sure the values are not flipped.  Also make sure reactive is selected and not preemptive.

Click reset button and update distribution botton as well.  

May sure VPN is not enabled. Remove all portforwarding rules as well under Settings> Portforwarding.

Then go under Settings> LAN> DNS (enabled), IPv6 (disabled), MTU (enabled)

Then go under Settings> WAN> IPv6 (disabled), MTU (enabled)

Then go under Settings>Misc> Only select these -- Allow feedback, Allow remote access, Enable cookies, Stealth mode.

Make sure auto cloud and bleeding edge is selected as well > click apply cloud settings. 

Do all this. 

Reboot all devices (modem, R1, Netgear) to make sure everything is communicating efficiently?  And then run your test again.  Hope this helps.

Archived