Cod mw2 headset / footsteps

kinel

I would like to hear from people who played the cod mw2  beta  or play cod games in genral 

I wantedTo find out what headphones / headsets there using and how well they could hear enemys footsteps in mw2 beta

this would be helpful to me and may help others here maybe

i just seen a youtube video from devs  saying they will be using 3d sound engine to help pinpoint enemy locations sounds

Atm my current ps5 setup for audio is astro mix amp tr gen 4  akg 702 headphones

The first week of the beta my setup was ok  i could hear enemys footsteps quite good

2nd week of beta i struggled  to hear footsteps  / it was a lot harder

As i heard they nerfed footsteps audio 

-i noticed a lot of players could still easily hear my footsteps from miles away  

I could easily tell this from watching kill cams and youtubers saying how easily they can hear footsteps of enemys

And im not talking about players running dead silence

I think its time for my next upgrade to a new setup

my  only purpose of these headset is to soundwhore

As long as i can hear footstps easily and can pinpoint where there from i will be happy

I have my thoughts on some

but i wanted to hear from users hear on their setup and opinions on there setups

The more feedback the better 

I dont really wanna waste more money on  another setup lol  

I just bought my old setup last year 

But its defently time to upgrade  i think my setup is maybe outdated  for the cod mw2 soun engine what ever that is

Your AKG 702's never get outdated, those are very good headphones it is the advanced settings (preset) for Mixamp in Command center that needs to changed because they made a change to audio in-game

Cheers mobel yeh ive tried old presets on command centre i think mine were from vanguard as i havent played  in  moths 

I didnt know there were  new presets avaible i usally use  potara epra  presdts there great also my headset id eith akg 702 or akg 712  i can ber remeber

I  just seen a video from infatry wafd saying the gamw  will use  3d audio  to help pinpoint footstep sounds

I was thinking that  myself

Iwas actually thinking of buy either these setups to use the 3d engne  and ustum edit  eq  presets

Steelseries artic  7p  or artis nova pro

Mobel did you play the beta if so how well could you hear enemy footsteps

I see you mention in a previous thread about presets  do you make the presets yourself or download them like i do ive tried loads over the years

My custume prests from vanguard didnt peform that great

@kinelI use from Potara and sometimes I make them together with him because there aren't a lot of people who are using the Audio-technica headsets.

Try the Mw/Warzone presets for MW2 they working quiet good (when the game is out and there isnt already a preset out for it)

and put it on Linear pcm in (PlayStation settings) and the Surround off (on Mixamp) if u wanna try the PlayStation 3d-audio. Btw this is how I always play with or without PlayStation 3d-audio i dont use the surround sound from the Mixamp.

And I think your headset the AKG in combination with the Mixamp u dont need to buy a Steelseries just find a good preset and set your settings good and u will have awesome sound

Thanks mobellol how dis you know i was thinking of buying steelseeies 

Lol you must be physchi  im thinking of buying the steel series artis  pro  or steelseries  nova pro wired or wireless i prefer wirdd normally

I more  intrested in it for two reasons

1st is its 3d audio   wanna see how good its imaging is

2nd is the custum eq

Espically the new sonar programe that seems zmazing but its only for pc at moment  i think i heard it might be relesed on ps5 as well

The astro mixamp seems outdated to me as you can only  eq  5 bars / frenquencies as steelseries  you can tune 10 eq /frequencies at once 

Im  not sure how gold though the  tuning is on the steelseries gg app i think its called   as you cant change there frenquencies  like you can with astros

But on the sonar app of steelseries  you can change all frequency  and other stuff this just sounds briiliant pitty it sonar is  only pc atm

I just really hope  ps5 get to use sonar  

Sonar app on its own makes me wanna buy it

I use the ADG1X plugged directly in to Xbox Elite 2 controller. I thought the sound was ok but wasn’t as amazing as some have made out with the supposedly excellent footstep directional audio. 

I tried both in game headset EQs, and also with Dolby Atmos on/off…and I couldn’t really tell much difference with either.

Would I be better off buying a mixamp or should the ADG1X be fine on it’s own plugged directly in to Elite2 controller?

edit: for anyone considering the Steel Series Arctis 9X, I would recommend avoiding unless you like your sound randomly cutting out mid game with the poor connection.

@K0NSPIRACY

Definitely need to use a Mixamp or another Dac amp for that headset it makes a huge difference in sound, volume, cleariness, soundstage all improve huge with the Mixamp especially with those type of headsets its like a totally different sound what u will hear( like going from a scooter to a motorbike 🤣🤣)

I tried a few times mine ATH-ADG1X plugged in my controller sounds so bad, so muffled, I think it doesnt get enough power as well from the controller jack, its a difference of night and day with a Mixamp 

If u buy the Mixamp I can hook you up with some presets for it dont hesitate to ask me 🙂

@Mobel Thanks for the info. What amp would you recommend for use sign Xbox Series X? I used to have an Astro Mixamp with A40s but think they are very much over rated.

edit: worth mentioning that the Xbox Series X and my LG27GP850 monitor don’t have optical out so the EQs on Astro Mixamp wouldn’t work properly as far as I’m aware (or from what I’ve read).

On 9/30/2022 at 11:57 AM, kinel said:

Lol you must be physchi  im thinking of buying the steel series artis  pro  or steelseries  nova pro wired or wireless i prefer wirdd normally

I had a SS Arctic Pro a couple of years ago and although they are good headsets... my Astro A40's TR beat it in every way.

11 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

@Mobel Thanks for the info. What amp would you recommend for use sign Xbox Series X? I used to have an Astro Mixamp with A40s but think they are very much over rated.

edit: worth mentioning that the Xbox Series X and my LG27GP850 monitor don’t have optical out so the EQs on Astro Mixamp wouldn’t work properly as far as I’m aware (or from what I’ve read).

I would say use a Mixamp (ye the A40's are nowhere near the ADG1X or other good headphones) 

I would suggest use either a audio extractor but then u can't get higher then 1440p @120hz (though the hdmi 2.1 audio extractors are out now the cheapest one i could find is from Ezcoo around €130) I think soon they will make them in smaller more simple models.

Im currently using a USB to Optical Dac converter, so the optical from my Mixamp goes in a tiny Box and from there it goes with USB in the back of the PS5 and the USB just goes straight in the back of the PS5, gives me far superior sound quality compared over the USB only sound.

I have also a 4K Hdmi 2.1 monitor the Samsung Odyssey G70A, so im waiting till the hdmi 2.1 audio extractors go around the price point of €30-50 then I will get one.

The best I can get on my LG 27GP850 monitor is 1440p 120Hz, and I’m more than happy with that tbh (I can’t justify the extra spend on a 4K monitor at the moment).

Could you confirm your wire connections for all devices when using the USB to Optical DAC converter please. From what I’ve read, the support for third party USB audio devices is pretty much non existent for Xbox Series X.

At the moment I’m thinking the Audeze Penrose X headphones may be the simplest solution (although not the cheapest) to get better audio.

If anyone intrested in this info  the new steelseries  artis nova pro wired headset   can use  another headsphones

I just bought them and i just pugged my akg702 into them

Ive seen this question been asked on the web  but nobody saif it was possible to do it

I just plugged them straight into its dac  ant it worked

If  they release  sonar on ps5   this setup would destroy astros i think its custum eq is good now  nut with the sonar new tech only on pc it sounds brilkiant  you can beco,e / a sound engineer  buy all the tweaks you can do

I bought it as i heard on web steelseries are trying to get sonar on consoles to work

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 8:13 PM, nferguzl said:

@kinel how do you have your novas setup? Are you using sonar? I only use the dolby stmos app from the win store. 

Im on ps5 sadly we cant use dolby atmos or   really realy ban news we cant use sonar atm i

I really ho#e sonar  becomes availible on ps5  i actualy bought them for this abilitty

@kinel

If you want to use sonar on PS5, it's possible... On xbox series s, I work like this:

I transferred all the audio stream from my xbox to my PC via the jack of my screen (no audio output on xbox series S apart from the hdmi), then via the stereo mix of the PC's sound card by opening the listening on the input line, either the flow is transferred to my audio speakers or to my headphones by my audio line output.

image.thumb.png.426c0b2bef87b409c6d62105f6a10abf.png

Has anyone else read the descriptions for mono audio settings in CODMW2?

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding this, but from the descriptions it sounds like this setting actually needs to be enabled to improve directional audio as having it off merges all sounds via both channels, and the level bar further customises the clarity of directional audio.

I tested this setting in campaign and directional audio does sound better with mono on and the slider set to zero, however this sounds backwards to me because we want audio in stereo so we would naturally assume the mono option should be off, but the descriptions contradict that.

FYI I use ADG1X headset plugged in to Elite2 controller.

Please take a look at these in game settings, their descriptions, test them out and reply with your thoughts.

9 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Has anyone else read the descriptions for mono audio settings in CODMW2?

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding this, but from the descriptions it sounds like this setting actually needs to be enabled to improve directional audio as having it off merges all sounds via both channels, and the level bar further customises the clarity of directional audio.

I tested this setting in campaign and directional audio does sound better with mono on and the slider set to zero, however this sounds backwards to me because we want audio in stereo so we would naturally assume the mono option should be off, but the descriptions contradict that.

FYI I use ADG1X headset plugged in to Elite2 controller.

Please take a look at these in game settings, their descriptions, test them out and reply with your thoughts.

The French translation is the same! From what I understand, the best is to activate it to separate the left and right streams; turn it off blends... The mono zero value retains the two-way sound! Weird !!!?

6 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

The French translation is the same! From what I understand, the best is to activate it to separate the left and right streams; turn it off blends... The mono zero value retains the two-way sound! Weird !!!?

Yep that’s my understanding of the mono setting description too. I did some quick tests in the Amsterdam mission near the bridge and the band playing, and having mono on with slider set to zero did provide better directional audio for myself.

I will need to do further audio tests but obviously we won’t be able to determine if this will improve directional footstep audio in MP until next week.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:03 PM, Fuzy said:

@kinel

If you want to use sonar on PS5, it's possible... On xbox series s, I work like this:

I transferred all the audio stream from my xbox to my PC via the jack of my screen (no audio output on xbox series S apart from the hdmi), then via the stereo mix of the PC's sound card by opening the listening on the input line, either the flow is transferred to my audio speakers or to my headphones by my audio line output.

image.thumb.png.426c0b2bef87b409c6d62105f6a10abf.png

Thank you that sounds brilliant

Done some more testing with the Mono settings. I think this only applies to those that have a mono audio signal out of there console/PC so doesn’t need to be enabled if you have stereo out (including those that use headset plugged into Xbox controller as this is a stereo signal already).

I'm away at the mo so not had a chance to play campaign yet, but back for MP. Has anyone who played the campaign noticed in the audio settings the 'headphone bass boost' is still an option? I recall theexclusiveace saying this was the best option as it was basically a wall hack. 

Just now, Cajun72 said:

I'm away at the mo so not had a chance to play campaign yet, but back for MP. Has anyone who played the campaign noticed in the audio settings the 'headphone bass boost' is still an option? I recall theexclusiveace saying this was the best option as it was basically a wall hack. 

Yeah it’s there.