DSCP and WMM Tagging On Xbox

Is this QoS tagging compatible/recommended on the XR Series routers using DumaOS 2.XX.XX?

If enabled from the xbox what would I need to do in DumaOS to ensure compatibility with my router?

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

It's as yet unconfirmed whether or not it makes a difference, but it certainly shouldn't cause any regressions.

I'd truly be interested to see which providers actually see the tagging. Early research shows that any provider using Docsis 3.1 will see the qos tags and put that specific traffic into a higher priority queue. I know spectrum coax internet using a docsis 3.1 supports the qos tagging on their end so you will get put into less congested queues for gaming. Not sure if fiber modems will see it yet, I'll have to do some testing and get with the engineering team for my local fiber provider.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 10:38 PM, TG3NOC1D3 said:

I'd truly be interested to see which providers actually see the tagging. Early research shows that any provider using Docsis 3.1 will see the qos tags and put that specific traffic into a higher priority queue. I know spectrum coax internet using a docsis 3.1 supports the qos tagging on their end so you will get put into less congested queues for gaming. Not sure if fiber modems will see it yet, I'll have to do some testing and get with the engineering team for my local fiber provider.

Not really.

ISP's can support DSCP tags but really only do it on their own services, like VoiP and IPTV. 

Also there is the issue that even if a ISP would support DSCP tags, you are still not getting true end to end QoS since the traffic crosses over from your ISP to one or more backbone providers before it reaches the datacenter, and they will most likely not support DSCP. The other issue is that their equipment will most likely recognize the tags but can be configured so it drops it in a default queue. This does not really have much to do with DOCSIS 3.1 since DOCSIS is just a modulation pattern, ie it will leave all traffic intact. DOCSIS 3.1 does have some added options for lower latency over 3.0.

On your internal network it would only make sense to run DSCP in a very complex environment. Ie if the traffic would have to cross multiple switches and so on. If you plug your device straight into the router then a simple port based QoS will do exactly the same. 

Then there is the last issue and that is that the game server probably doesn't use tagging on it's outgoing traffic.