Fastest geo fencing router available?

Easygoing1

Does anyone know which geo-fencing capable router out there is the fastest one? I need to replace my Netgear R7800 and I like the concept of geo-fencing for gaming - especially for COD; but if I'm gonna spend the money, I'd like get the best one I can get.

Thanks,

Mike

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you specify what you mean by 'fastest'? All the routers that have DumaOS on can run it absolutely fine, do you mean WiFi capability etc? What are you expected/paid for internet speeds?

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you specify what you mean by 'fastest'? All the routers that have DumaOS on can run it absolutely fine, do you mean WiFi capability etc? What are you expected/paid for internet speeds?

Thank you,

I'm going to be upgrading my Internet service to 400 megabits this week or the next ... but that's not why im replacing my router, I'm replacing my router because it's got issues ... like it randomly bricks itself when I do upgrades on it (I run open WRT on this router ... I won't be running it on the next router I get for obvious reasons).

And a router that can "run DumOS just fine" - is certainly not the answer I'm looking for. ☺ I understand your position since you work for DumaOS and you need to be vendor neutral ... I can respect that. So I'm hoping for some comments from people who actually know which routers out there that do run your OS are the fastest available in terms of real world use. It might boil down to hardware specs ... I don't know ... but I assume that each manufacturer that uses your software has pretty heavy leeway in the overall coding that goes into their product, and not all routers will perform identically in terms of responsiveness and features etc ... I don't care about WiFi because I don't game on wifi. I use ethernet for gaming ... I'm a network engineer by trade ... I would never game on wifi no matter how good they say it is, you can't beat hard copper with radio waves ... you just can't.

So far, in the homework I've done for a replacement router... I've noticed that none of the newer "gaming" routers which have the 1.8 quad core CPUs and typically carry a form of a model number with AX 11000 attached to the name ... none of them seem to do geo-fencing at all ... are there issues with DumaOS and these newer hardware specs that are being put out there? I mean, I cannot fathom any router that dares to call itself a gaming router ... being unable to geo-fence since doing so seems to me to be the absolute best way to ensure the fastest possible gaming session ... the fewer router hops a packet has to make ... the better!

Mike

• Administrators

Well we are the only ones that have the Geo-Filtering capability which is why it's not present on other routers. Any of them will be able to handle your speeds, Geo-Filtering, QoS etc all at the same time. The R2 is our own hardware so DumaOS is most optimized for this platform if that gives you a better idea.

To be fair while the CPU can make a difference in routers that offer other aspects like IPS/IDS none of the Netduma routers offer this as they are aimed more at domestic use. The QoS has very little impact if used too as seen on the R2 unlike other CPU intensive QoS systems. This might be why you are questioning the performance possibly.

With that in mind the next query is your network and as a network engineer I’m confident you know even though you don’t game over WiFi you understand the requirements for your network. At this point you can look at the various Routers and select the one which would offer the capacity and performance. 
The AX routers you mention are WiFi 6 so for example in the NG range none really use the CPU to its full extent as none offer complex QoS like cake or FQ CoDel and they are not designed to handle a huge number of clients like you see in commercial AP set ups from the like of Cisco. None offer inbuilt IPS or IDS, security is handled via the basic firewall and using a third party security option that’s available at an extra cost. It’s different in other manufactures that do use for example cake for QoS but Dumas QoS is very light on the CPU load and works nicely. It’s far better than the FQ CoDel on my Unifi for example and that’s purely down to how well the code and algorithm works so bear that in mind when you see others advertising these features.

My RAX120 CPU a quad core 2.2 hardly ever raised its head no matter what I did and even with all the ram, flash and CPU it was not capable of controlling the network in the same level as the R2 I have. What it did though was it had a better WiFi coverage and throughput and even though it’s WiFi 6 it does not have all the standard features of this WiFi standard. This is advertised for gaming, any router can game let’s be honest but Duma offers features that gamers can benefit from. 

The R2 is great for modest client numbers and perfect for environments that don’t require WiFi to cover a large area.offers full 3.0 features.

The XR500 can handle more clients and is a wave 2 WiFi 5 router so more throughput on WiFi and better coverage. Beta 3.0 available but not all features are there like VPN and Adblocker.

The XR1000 is roughly the same client wise as the XR500 but offers better WiFi as it’s AX so throughput and connectivity are improved in dense environments when paired with an AX device. Offers official  3.0 but again no VPN or adblocker.

It has more to do with use cases than actual speed IMHO. Between my R1, XR500 and XR700 I don't feel that the OS scales well with CPU's and RAM, ie the XR700 does not respond that much faster over the others. As for WAN speed at 400mbit none of these are breaking a sweat. It's like a windows PC, if you have a 10 year old i7 and put it next to a current gen i7 you barely feel the difference if you're just surfing the web.

XR500 is probably the best all round router. Simply because the code/firmware has recieved the most updates. It's actually a R7800 with different software.

R2 has most features but seems to be lacking a bit in it's wifi strength. Currently not offering WAN side VLAN tagging which can be a nuissance for fiber users that want to do away with their ISP hub.

If you need AX wifi then the XR1000 fits the bill. Personally would not upgrade from AC Wave 2 over it unless you specifically have clients that can use this. Otherwise Wifi 6E seems to be more interesting.

XR700 provides the lowest amount of latency possible provided you have the other equipment, PC's with 10Gbit networking cards and a SFP+ connection to the router. That's on paper though since in games you won't notice this. The CPU used is one that is normally found in lower end NAS systems. That's also the key feature to this router, it's extra features are more suited to media streaming than gaming. You can connect a dual port NAS to the link aggregation ports and feed your wired + wifi clients or use it as a NAS by feeding it with USB drives and connecting over SFP+. If you just use this as a standalone router it has no advantages over the XR500 since it has the same wifi specs, outside of AD wifi which no clients use, and the more stable and extra features in XR500 3.0 make it more attractive. Misunderstood product, people think you can run 10Gbit WAN but the CPU is too weak to route this (even with professional equipment with X86-64 CPU's routing + firewall 10Gbit is a challenge never mind running advanced QoS) 

Key point however is that these are all routers meant to be used as a 'all in one device' in a home setting with a mix of maybe 10-20 wired and wifi clients. And in that area they all have their niche.

What always confuses me is the different feature sets. Like my XR700 has VPN but no adblocker, I believe my XR500 does have both. Some better consistency in this would help a lot tbh.

Saying that, on my 600/600 fiber connection I was still using the R1 + DumaOS 3 because I don't use wifi on that particular connection and QoS is also not needed. It leaves a nice little footprint and can be put under your desk or tucked away in other places. Just it doesn't work well with PPPoE so you always need a ISP router in front of it, something that wasn't necessary with the XR500.

18 hours ago, Newfie said:

To be fair while the CPU can make a difference in routers that offer other aspects like IPS/IDS none of the Netduma routers offer this as they are aimed more at domestic use. The QoS has very little impact if used too as seen on the R2 unlike other CPU intensive QoS systems. This might be why you are questioning the performance possibly.

With that in mind the next query is your network and as a network engineer I’m confident you know even though you don’t game over WiFi you understand the requirements for your network. At this point you can look at the various Routers and select the one which would offer the capacity and performance. 
The AX routers you mention are WiFi 6 so for example in the NG range none really use the CPU to its full extent as none offer complex QoS like cake or FQ CoDel and they are not designed to handle a huge number of clients like you see in commercial AP set ups from the like of Cisco. None offer inbuilt IPS or IDS, security is handled via the basic firewall and using a third party security option that’s available at an extra cost. It’s different in other manufactures that do use for example cake for QoS but Dumas QoS is very light on the CPU load and works nicely. It’s far better than the FQ CoDel on my Unifi for example and that’s purely down to how well the code and algorithm works so bear that in mind when you see others advertising these features.

My RAX120 CPU a quad core 2.2 hardly ever raised its head no matter what I did and even with all the ram, flash and CPU it was not capable of controlling the network in the same level as the R2 I have. What it did though was it had a better WiFi coverage and throughput and even though it’s WiFi 6 it does not have all the standard features of this WiFi standard. This is advertised for gaming, any router can game let’s be honest but Duma offers features that gamers can benefit from. 

The R2 is great for modest client numbers and perfect for environments that don’t require WiFi to cover a large area.offers full 3.0 features.

The XR500 can handle more clients and is a wave 2 WiFi 5 router so more throughput on WiFi and better coverage. Beta 3.0 available but not all features are there like VPN and Adblocker.

The XR1000 is roughly the same client wise as the XR500 but offers better WiFi as it’s AX so throughput and connectivity are improved in dense environments when paired with an AX device. Offers official  3.0 but again no VPN or adblocker.

So one thing I've noticed over the years when it comes to edge network hardware, is that it's not really about using the CPU percentage of click cycles currently active as the measure of whether or not a router is a good performing router .... or isn't ... it's all about how quickly that CPU can process packets. And this really was more of a problem before 2010 roughly when processors really started taking off performance wise. Something few people seem to understand is that when it comes to real time Internet based applications where milliseconds matter (as they do in online gaming) ... you can have all the bandwidth in the world, but if your router can't switch those packets onto the Internet connection fast enough ... you have problems ... because you you can still only put one packet at a time on that Internet connection ... granted - with higher bandwidfth the packet reaches its destination faster and therefore you can move more packets in a given frame of time than you otherwise could with lower bandwidth ... but we don't have fancy tech to the home yet where we can run multiple isolated frequencies of light on a strand of fiber and literally with that one piece of glass, you can create hundreds ... or thousands of true parallel channels that are - in essence - physically isolated from one another just as copper is in a true parallel cable.

When a router is deciding which packet gets to go first ... thats QOS ... and the reason we need QOS is because the router has to decide WHICH PACKET GOES FIRST ... because they all flow down a serial connection - one packet at a time... so when milliseconds count in an application like online gaming ... what you need is a CPU that can predict the future ... and short of that technology being real, we have to settle for the fastest CPUs we can get our hands on at a reasonable price. I don't personally find any problem at all with a quad core CPU in a home router because that means if the software it runs has been written correctly, then it can think with four "minds" simultaneously which means you can dedicate one core to outbound packets and one to inbound packets and the other two for deciding which packet goes first. THAT to me is about as effecient as we can realistically get with the Internet existing on serial connections to the home essentially... And I realize that most people don't think of Ethernet as a serial technology but it really is ... it's just really REALLY fast!

Sorry ... I got side tracked in my little rant there ... my POINT in all that is that I'm trying to find the FASTEST router that currently exists that can do geo-fencing, being fully aware that it is managing a data stream for a game console ... I think really what I'm looking for is someone who's put a bunch of different routers to some real world tests with a game console then tell all of us which one they liked the best - in terms of responsiveness.

And you wouldn't think people could perceive millisecond differences in packet lag but I have a friend who absolutely can ... he's kind of a freak of nature but he can pick up on things that happen in a game that I can't nor could I ever possibly ... its just a DNA thing ... and he is one of the reasons why Im trying to find the best router out there because he will most likely purchase the same router I decide on cause hes not too technically savvy and doesn't want to be bothered with the tech details and I don't want to steer him in a direction where I wasn't thorough in my homework ... he is a good friend and when it comes to gaming ... milliseconds matter - for real with him.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Fraser, several days ago I saw a post that you made that had the list of all routers that currently run your software but for the life of me, I can't find it... do you know which list I'm referring to?

And one more question ... I was looking on Amazon at the Netgear AX5400 WiFi Gaming Router (XR1000) ... and I seem to be seeing what I believe are two different routers but with the same model number ... possibly... the reason why it has me puzzled is because some of their listings of that router specifically state that it runs your software and they sell for about $300 where the other listings are a $100 cheaper and don't mention your software yet the model numbers are the same ... 

Compare this item

With this item to see what I'm talking about.

AND MY QUESTION IS ... whats up with that? Do you have any idea?

All the XR routers are based of Netgear equivalent routers, Bert gave you an example in his post. The RAX50 uses NG firmware, the XR1000 uses NG firmware but has Netduma layered in to give you all the controls while NG uses various code from Broadcom and others to handle hardware and connectivity. Both have different model names which gives it away. There will be a price difference too. 
Broadcom did face some legal issues over WiFi 6 monopoly as reported if you do a search so most WiFi 6 routers are using their chipsets. 
Even with a quad core processor you can run into issues, again search for limitations but note those limitations don’t apply to any of the XR routers or R2. 
The biggest problem you face is the router only controls your network and only Duma has the option to show the servers and to select a server that offers the best connection. No other router gives you that option.
do you know your isps peering contracts for example? 
Now when it comes to testing what type of lab would you use? What tolerance would you expect between 2 or more of the same type of router? All electrical devices have tolerances so no 2 devices will be the same if you are talking milliseconds. CPU has tolerance then add all the other chips and my past work was a calibration engineer of 13 years so the theory of finding the fastest possible electronic device kind of goes out of the window once you realise no 2 devices will be the same. I’ve yet to see any router company offer tolerance certification or show it and they don’t have yearly calibration tests so you don’t know how usage over time effects them, you can start to see it’s getting pretty silly when we talk about how quick a router can do it’s job and what’s the fastest. 

just to throw confusion into it, manufactures change chip suppliers on the quiet so it’s hard keeping up and most simply never worry or even know about changes and what if firmware changes it’s performance. 

At the end of the day you can go with another manufacturer that offers a quad core all bells and whistles yet for gaming it means nothing when you discover the server you are playing on is not the most optimum and don’t get carried away with CPU spec, it’s not just about raw power.  Duma was designed by gamers for gamers.

Fuzy suggested you try one, if you purchase from Amazon you have a nice return window and I believe there’s a return window on the R2 too plus you have this support forum to help you set the router up or need help.

i have here the XR500, the R2, the RAX120 and a Unifi UDM. All the Duma routers handle the network traffic better than the UDM and RAX120. The R2 hammers the RAX120 when it comes to controlling your network on the QoS. 

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

All the XR routers are based of Netgear equivalent routers, Bert gave you an example in his post. The RAX50 uses NG firmware, the XR1000 uses NG firmware but has Netduma layered in to give you all the controls while NG uses various code from Broadcom and others to handle hardware and connectivity. 
Broadcom did face some legal issues over WiFi 6 monopoly as reported if you do a search so most WiFi 6 routers are using their chipsets. 
Even with a quad core processor you can run into issues, again search for limitations but note those limitations don’t apply to any of the XR routers or R2. 
The biggest problem you face is the router only controls your network and only Duma has the option to show the servers and to select a server that offers the best connection. No other router gives you that option.
do you know your isps peering contracts for example? 
Now when it comes to testing what type of lab would you use? What tolerance would you expect between 2 or more of the same type of router? All electrical devices have tolerances so no 2 devices will be the same if you are talking milliseconds. CPU has tolerance then add all the other chips and my past work was a calibration engineer of 13 years so the theory of finding the fastest possible electronic device kind of goes out of the window once you realise no 2 devices will be the same. I’ve yet to see any router company offer tolerance certification or show it and they don’t have yearly calibration tests so you don’t know how usage over time effects them, you can start to see it’s getting pretty silly when you talk about how quick a router can do it’s job and what’s the fastest.

just to throw confusion into it, manufactures change chip suppliers on the quiet so it’s hard keeping up and most simply never worry or even know about changes and what if firmware changes it’s performance. 

At the end of the day you can go with another manufacturer that offers a quad core all bells and whistles yet for gaming it means nothing when you discover the server you are playing on is not the most optimum and don’t get carried away with CPU spec, it’s not just about raw power.  Duma was designed by gamers for gamers.

I completely agree ... I'm a huge fan of KEEP IT SIMPLE ... for most things in life but especially for IT technology ... the more "features" you throw at an operating system, the larger then the question mark is that floats above it in an array of categories - just pick one. I like to unbox a router and fire it up and then go in and disable as many "features" as I can ... then enable one by one only those things I need and of course anything that depends on them... this is why I put OpenWRT on my Netgear 6800 because I wanted to compile a router OS that only did a few things that I needed... routing of course, firewall with nat / pat, dhcp, WiFi and an ssh service ... and it ran pretty good ... but now it's doing some really fun tricks ... like when you issue a command that pulls down new versions of the modules install in the OS, it like to brick itself and go into an cycle where it just constantly reboots... and now it's doing more interesting things like dropping WiFi for a minute without so much as a whisper as to why ... it's time to to put it out to pasture. I bought it used ... cause the price was right ... but I think I learned my lesson.

I've played with a lot of Cisco hardware ... my first experience with Cisco was back when they first came out with their voip system (AVVID I believe it was called with "call manager" servers) back when the IPPBX ran on Windows ... I rather liked their methodology in their firewall switches and router designs. I was full time with the city I live in as their second hire in their IT department which was under Finance back then... I convinced them that paying for a pots line to every desk in city hall was like shoveling cash into a furnace... when I showed them the numbers to replace those phones with an in house system they said "ok ... why don't you go ahead and do that for us..." which ended up being a really fun project. I got to spec and purchase something like 1.4 million dollars of Cisco hardware ... two blade switches, 20 some odd routers with switches for all the remote sites, a $20k PIX firewall ... I was in hog heaven and I learned a lot about switching and routing just rolling that project out.

You know, in the vein of keeping things simple ... if I had, for example, one of every brand of router with DumaOS on it, I would set one up at a time and drop it over at my friends house and let him use each one for a few days at a time ... I guarantee you by the time he finished testing them all ... he would be able to tell me which one was the best one ... or which ones were the best ones ... because sometimes ... you just have to see how the damn things work in a real situation rather than quibble over the tech details which could become a conversation that has no end to it... as you well know being in the testing field ... you can zero in on way too much minutia if you don't force yourself to just stick to what matters most. And really there is no metric for answering a question like "which one is the fastest" ... because each brand and flavor implements what it does in a way that is going to be different from the other brands and flavors so you just have to use them and see which ones shine and which ones don't.

I watched a youtuber do a review of something like 5 different gaming routers last week ... his video production was pro status but in the end, he had these fancy graphs and the one he used to tell the audience which router was the fastest ... was the chert that showed the average ping response times from each router when he just set up a ping and let it run for a few minutes ... got the average delay time, then did the same test with the next router...once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I commented on his video and said that ... perhaps next time he reviews gaming routers ... he might think about actually playing some games through the routers and just see how they perform ... I then lectured him a little on how AND WHY ICMP response times are basically worthless as a metric for a routers speed capabilities ... I doubt he will read my comments with an open mind considering he seems to be quite successful as a youtube content creator whos main focus is IT stuff...  the blind leading the blind seems to be a fitting analogy for what he does I think... 

DumaOS being designed by gamers for gamers is awesome! What I wanna know is ... why did they stop at the software? Why not take an "Apple-esque" approach and find some good hardware then customize the hell out of their software so that it is very tightly coupled with the "personality" of that hardware... Heck if they're savvy enough, they could even write the hardware libraries ... find a really light weight linux kernel and make a router that dose one thing and does it VERY WELL ... GAMING! I would even insist that the routers don't have wifi or anything other than what is necessary to get packets across networks and also shape that traffic so that it only knows gaming traffic.I would have a flagship model that would boggle peoples minds... "Why doesn't it have WiFi? and "you mean my kinds can't do their social networking stuff through this router?" ... maybe have a dedicated hardware bridge where all non-gaming traffic just gets passed on to another port where the family router connects to ... but when its got an active gaming stream running, even that bridge gets disabled or it flows those packets with separate hardware with an extremely low priority ram based packet queue which could be configured to be shut down when an active game stream is happening...  They would be for a very niche customer base.. but I guarantee you that the gaming purists out there would salivate over a router like that ... I think it would do very well actually. And it wouldn't need to look like an alien space ship either ... because the kind of people who would buy that router could care less if it existed inside a brown paper bag ... as long as it gives them the edge they want in their games ... they spend good money on stuff like that.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Easygoing1 said:

Fraser, several days ago I saw a post that you made that had the list of all routers that currently run your software but for the life of me, I can't find it... do you know which list I'm referring to?

And one more question ... I was looking on Amazon at the Netgear AX5400 WiFi Gaming Router (XR1000) ... and I seem to be seeing what I believe are two different routers but with the same model number ... possibly... the reason why it has me puzzled is because some of their listings of that router specifically state that it runs your software and they sell for about $300 where the other listings are a $100 cheaper and don't mention your software yet the model numbers are the same ... 

Compare this item

With this item to see what I'm talking about.

AND MY QUESTION IS ... whats up with that? Do you have any idea?

I do recall here is the list with a bit more information:

• Netduma R1 (no longer sold)
  • Netduma R2 (3.0 Stable - Full feature set)
  • Netgear XR300 (2.0 - No HybridVPN)
  • Netgear XR450 (3.0 Beta available - Slightly reduced feature set)
  • Netgear XR500 (3.0 Beta available - Slightly reduced feature set)
  • Netgear XR700 (3.0 Beta available - Slightly reduced feature set, no longer sold once stock runs out)
  • Netgear XR1000 (3.0 Stable - Slightly reduced feature set)
  • Telstra Smart Modem w/Game Optimiser add on (Only available via Telstra ISP Australia)

I don't personally know what goes into their pricing strategy but DumaOS is the main difference there so expect that is the reason for the price difference.

If we are talking milliseconds I doubt you are going to see much of a difference.

Consoles are not optimized for very low latency networking. There is lots of people here tinkering with QoS / router settings thinking that it will make a difference while in reality this is all per hop basis. They forget that their own switches add latency and your packets travel to the server over 10 hops which don't care about your QoS, and have a variable load depending on the time of day. Plus processing power of DSL and Cable modems generally poses a bigger bottleneck over the current gen dual core and quad core routers.

On my PS4's I typically can't tell much of a difference between the XR routers. Also with gaming consoles you are limited in other area's such as a lower screen refresh rate and input lag from your controllers. That makes all this a moot point.

As for the last bit. People just want a "turn-key" solution. And generally the market this caters for is on a limited butget, you can see that on sales figures for the previous flagship, the XR700. Super advanced but the $500 price put people off. If power and speed is required it's much simpler to build your own router on a x86-64 box than to use a consumer grade system. The more tech savy crowd could easily manage geo blocking themselves with the right tools, just a matter of scanning the IPs / domains the games connect to and blocking those in the firewall. What makes it time consuming is fishing out the server IP's etc, so if you buy a DumaOS device this is all taken care of. Well that is the quick version, in some games it will break your matchmaking so geofiltering does not always work well. I would say 98% of the DumaOS users are CoD players, where it actually works ok.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 5:18 AM, Bert said:

If we are talking milliseconds I doubt you are going to see much of a difference.

Consoles are not optimized for very low latency networking. There is lots of people here tinkering with QoS / router settings thinking that it will make a difference while in reality this is all per hop basis. They forget that their own switches add latency and your packets travel to the server over 10 hops which don't care about your QoS, and have a variable load depending on the time of day. Plus processing power of DSL and Cable modems generally poses a bigger bottleneck over the current gen dual core and quad core routers.

On my PS4's I typically can't tell much of a difference between the XR routers. Also with gaming consoles you are limited in other area's such as a lower screen refresh rate and input lag from your controllers. That makes all this a moot point.

As for the last bit. People just want a "turn-key" solution. And generally the market this caters for is on a limited butget, you can see that on sales figures for the previous flagship, the XR700. Super advanced but the $500 price put people off. If power and speed is required it's much simpler to build your own router on a x86-64 box than to use a consumer grade system. The more tech savy crowd could easily manage geo blocking themselves with the right tools, just a matter of scanning the IPs / domains the games connect to and blocking those in the firewall. What makes it time consuming is fishing out the server IP's etc, so if you buy a DumaOS device this is all taken care of. Well that is the quick version, in some games it will break your matchmaking so geofiltering does not always work well. I would say 98% of the DumaOS users are CoD players, where it actually works ok.

On COD, I don’t think I’ve ever had a session with ping times lower than 80ms. And I’ve been reading on various sites where people are claiming that they consistently get gaming sessions in the 10 to 15 ms range with NetDuma OS on their router.  If those kinds of improvements are a reality in this universe … pardon the pun … but that’s a HUGE game changer. A 50 ms reduction in a game like COD can make a difference between having a grin on your face and wanting to send your controller on its first solo flight through a window.

And I’m not talking about being able to perceive details at those speeds I’m talking about knowing and seeing that I hit a guy but I’m the one who ends up dead… that’s a direct cause from network lag.

and I completely agree with you about QOS. I think it’s best application to date has been VOIP. And outside of that, it’s basically useless. I’ve often compared fine tuning QOS to reassembling shattered glass. If you manage to actually do it … it might feel like an accomplishment, but it’s not really gonna do a damn thing for you in the long run … back to what I said in an earlier post about packets still leaving and coming in one at a time … now with high bandwidth internet and a competent CPU and software written by someone who truly gets it … I would imagine you could monitor certain types of traffic and use some statistical math to figure out the optimal microsecond windows for releasing ‘low priority’ packets … and from what I’m reading, NetDuma OS must do something similar to that outside of geofencing which was a brilliant idea whoever came up with it. I would also imagine that NetDuma OS would really need to have as much control of a routers CPU as possible to be truly effective… it would most likely exist in the kernel of the OS.

This also makes me think that any partnerships that they have with companies like Netgear … require a lot of meetings and design consulting cause Netgear would most certainly insist on their fluff existing on the router where NetDuma probably prefers that house to be clean so it can do what it does best.

…. Which tends to lean me in the direction of buying one of their routers and staying away from the bloat ware routers all together.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:08 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I do recall here is the list with a bit more information:

• Netduma R1 (no longer sold)
  • Netduma R2 (3.0 Stable - Full feature set)
  • Netgear XR300 (2.0 - No HybridVPN)
  • Netgear XR450 (3.0 Beta available - Slightly reduced feature set)
  • Netgear XR500 (3.0 Beta available - Slightly reduced feature set)
  • Netgear XR700 (3.0 Beta available - Slightly reduced feature set, no longer sold once stock runs out)
  • Netgear XR1000 (3.0 Stable - Slightly reduced feature set)
  • Telstra Smart Modem w/Game Optimiser add on (Only available via Telstra ISP Australia)

I don't personally know what goes into their pricing strategy but DumaOS is the main difference there so expect that is the reason for the price difference.

Fraser,

i ordered an R2 unit (lol) and paid with PayPal but your website never asked me for my shipping information … does the site pull that info from PayPal or something?

Edit: nvm, I found the order confirmation button in another tab … and you do have my address I must have put it in when I created an account for the forum.

Mike

2 hours ago, Easygoing1 said:

Fraser,

i ordered an R2 unit (lol) and paid with PayPal but your website never asked me for my shipping information … does the site pull that info from PayPal or something?

Edit: nvm, I found the order confirmation button in another tab … and you do have my address I must have put it in when I created an account for the forum.

Mike

OK great no worries, I think I've responded to your offline message this morning so let us know if you need anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my R2 unit and ... this was the driod im looking for ...

I can't help but feel like im totaly ruined now ... this is Call of Duty ... Elite style ... it's a completely different game ... God forbid I ever have to play it again without this technology.

3 hours ago, Easygoing1 said:

Well, I got my R2 unit and ... this was the driod im looking for ...

I can't help but feel like im totaly ruined now ... this is Call of Duty ... Elite style ... it's a completely different game ... God forbid I ever have to play it again without this technology.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know :) 

• 2 years later...