Help with setting involving streaming

JuanM30

Hello everybody!

Was wondering if anybody could help me set up good setting for streaming while gaming, basically a balance but more focus on streaming if that makes any sense lol. I stream off the PC using obs on Twitch. I also use a capture card sometimes to play games on the PS4 which currently has nat type 3 on it so idk what to do, before I updated the router it was on nat type 3. I wanna stream on 720p 60fps. My download speed is around between 150-200 and upload is around 10-13. Also my router is connect to internet provider box and it's not on DMZ mode. Not able to do that cause of family reasons. If you could tell me step by step what to do cause I'm a beginner and have no idea what does what. Would really be HUGE help, thank you

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum!

The simplest way to ensure an Open NAT is to put the R2 in the modem's DMZ, this will not pose any security issues because the R2 has it's own firewall built in. However if this still isn't possible, you will need to port forward ports used by the game you're playing. Let us know if you need any help doing this.

Do you have any issues currently when streaming and gaming at the same time? If you could detail these for us, we can then suggest what needs to be optimised.

• JuanM30 changed the title to Help with setting involving streaming

thank you for replying. I can't put it on DMZ mode. So I understand I gotta use port forwarding but Idk how to set that up cause I try to do it (might have done it wrong) but I still have nat type 3. I play variety of games so I just need the nat type to be it least 2 so if I ever DO play a game with a friend (online game), I dont have any issues. Also I just want any tips for the best setting for streaming overall while still not hurting my game in any away. Issue wise, my bandwidth sometime goes down and up. I have the bitrate 4500 but out of no where it will go to 2000, 5000, then 0 then back to normal so idk if thats normal but yeah.

• Administrators

Setting the R1 in the modem DMZ will not prevent the other devices from working properly but it will be required to get NAT Type 2, even with port forwarding it won't help until this is done. What is the modem model? 

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, BCM425 said:

I am having the same issues with spikes in connectivity on my stream. bandwidth is not consistent. When the R2 is off, i have no issues. 

Disable Traffic Prioritization and I suspect it will be fine after that

9 minutes ago, BCM425 said:

Are you referring to Traffic Controller/Traffic rules? Because if so, I have no rules and "disable rules" is enabled. 

Could congestion control have something to do with it? 

Screenshot 2021-05-11 134856.jpg

• Administrators

I meant Traffic Prioritization, if you scroll down on the QoS page you will see it. If you're streaming then the upload can be quite low there, put that up to 80% and see if it still occurs

38 minutes ago, BCM425 said:

Are you referring to Traffic Controller/Traffic rules? Because if so, I have no rules and "disable rules" is enabled. 

Hi Fraser,

So I should throttle off the two targets in this screenshot?

Screenshot 2021-05-11 141634.jpg

Thanks for your help, very new to all of this. 

I have done a speed test and my speeds provide about 12 up, so I brought congestion control to 75% and made some changes to allocation. 

I am still seeing massive issues with dropped frames.. and bitrate spikes. I cannot maintain a steady 3,500 bit rate, which normally is no issue at all. 

Screenshot 2021-05-11 152314.jpg

26 minutes ago, BCM425 said:

Thanks for your help, very new to all of this. 

I have done a speed test and my speeds provide about 12 up, so I brought congestion control to 75% and made some changes to allocation. 

I am still seeing massive issues with dropped frames.. and bitrate spikes. I cannot maintain a steady 3,500 bit rate, which normally is no issue at all. 

Screenshot 2021-05-11 152314.jpg

Screenshot 2021-05-11 155910.jpg

• Administrators

Change Congestion Control to Always as because you've now disabled Traffic Prioritization it won't trigger on Auto-Enable, see if that is better. If that doesn't help you can try disabling Share Excess in the Bandwidth Allocation :menu to ensure devices don't steam bandwidth from livestreaming.

No dice. Still no effect at all on the performance during fps/bitrate tests. Something is seriously wrong with the router settings, restricting it from providing even basic 720P at 30fps (3500 bitrate). It almost seems like the bandwidth prioritization for livestream, is having no impact whatsoever. Is there a way that this troubleshooting can be done in a more detailed and "live" format?  

11 hours ago, BCM425 said:

No dice. Still no effect at all on the performance during fps/bitrate tests. Something is seriously wrong with the router settings, restricting it from providing even basic 720P at 30fps (3500 bitrate). It almost seems like the bandwidth prioritization for livestream, is having no impact whatsoever. Is there a way that this troubleshooting can be done in a more detailed and "live" format?  

Good advise above. 

As a test, could you please add a new rule to Traffic Prioritisation for your Streaming PC and use the following in Advanced config:
Source
Start - 1 
End - 65535

Destination 
Start - 1935
End - 1935

TCP & UDP

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If the device is wireless go with Gaming / Voice, otherwise normal and select Apply to WAN as it may boost performance slightly

The rule was applied but unfortunately I am still having massive bandwidth instability (bitrate spikes)  on my stream test. 

1 hour ago, BCM425 said:

The rule was applied but unfortunately I am still having massive bandwidth instability (bitrate spikes)  on my stream test. 

have you tied not use application switch to devices and manually add more up/down to the streaming devices.

Thats how i have it and you have far more bandwidth than me.

Capture.PNG

11 hours ago, trex2600 said:

Wait what does apply to WAN mean? The XR500 doesn't have that option. For some reason I check the logs and I see a lot of "QOS applying settings to zone WAN" and "QOS applying settings to zone LAN" or so it says something along those lines. What does that mean? What's the difference between QOS WAN and QOS LAN?

Apply to WAN essentially appends the priority tag used within the LAN, to the WAN. Some ISPs may recognise this and also prioritise this traffic on their end.

9 hours ago, BCM425 said:

Is the rule detecting traffic when you run your stream test? This is indicated by a red light and a traffic counter increasing on the rule.