Moderate/Strict Nat Type

AlanCee29

On 4/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Sweet, there's no need to use the DMZ in DumaOS currently as we have it configured on the Sky Hub now! For NAT issues, this is the better approach as now you'll get an Open NAT regardless of which device you play on.

Shouldn’t we be putting the IP address of the Xbox console in the DMZ on the R2?

After reading loads of info on here, my understanding is that we should DMZ the R2 on the ISP router and DMZ our gaming device on the R2 (as an alternative to using traffic prioritisation rules or port forwarding).

I have an open NAT by doing this at the moment, but for some reason earlier this evening, the Xbox lost all it’s IP config and couldn’t get it online (all my other devices were ok). I had to delete all associations in the R2 to the Xbox, change the port the Xbox was connected to on the R2, turn IPv6 back on in the R2 (even though IPv6 has never been detected if connected to the R2 but is if connected directly to the ISP router) and reboot everything to get it to work but I have no idea why as never had this issue before.

7 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Shouldn’t we be putting the IP address of the Xbox console in the DMZ on the R2?

After reading loads of info on here, my understanding is that we should DMZ the R2 on the ISP router and DMZ our gaming device on the R2 (as an alternative to using traffic prioritisation rules or port forwarding).

I have an open NAT by doing this at the moment, but for some reason earlier this evening, the Xbox lost all it’s IP config and couldn’t get it online (all my other devices were ok). I had to delete all associations in the R2 to the Xbox, change the port the Xbox was connected to on the R2, turn IPv6 back on in the R2 (even though IPv6 has never been detected if connected to the R2 but is if connected directly to the ISP router) and reboot everything to get it to work but I have no idea why as never had this issue before.

You can do, but it's generally better practice to DMZ the R2 instead because it means all devices that rely on NAT will be covered, you shouldn't need to DMZ both the R2 and the console.

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

You can do, but it's generally better practice to DMZ the R2 instead because it means all devices that rely on NAT will be covered, you shouldn't need to DMZ both the R2 and the console.

You mean DMZ the R2 in the DMZ settings on the R2 as well as on the ISP router?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

You mean DMZ the R2 in the DMZ settings on the R2 as well as on the ISP router?

As in put the WAN IP of the R2 in the DMZ of the ISP router - no need to touch the DMZ setting on the R2.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As in put the WAN IP of the R2 in the DMZ of the ISP router - no need to touch the DMZ setting on the R2.

I’m probably a little confused then. I’ve just set up my R2 after using just the BT Smarthub2 for a few weeks and have been reading the forums again for best settings. What has confused me is what you say contradicts what has been posted in this thread:

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/36077-doubt-upnp/?tab=comments#comment-303851

On the R2, I actually have UPNP turned off and the Xbox IP in the DMZ at the moment. I’d rather do this than mess about with port forwarding and traffic prioritisation as I didn’t have good results last time I used PF and TP.

I’ve disabled UPNP on the BT Smarthub2, but should UPNP actually be enabled on the R2? 

• Administrators

This part of that topic is what should be done ideally: 

Modem = UPnP disabled / DMZ enabled with R2 WAN IP (found on R2 System Information page)
R2 = UPnP enabled / DMZ disabled OR UPnP enabled / DMZ enabled to Xbox IP

So UPnP always enabled on the R2, in most cases UPnP should be enough to get an open NAT without using the DMZ. Traffic Prioritization isn't to do with NAT

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

This part of that topic is what should be done ideally: 

Modem = UPnP disabled / DMZ enabled with R2 WAN IP (found on R2 System Information page)
R2 = UPnP enabled / DMZ disabled OR UPnP enabled / DMZ enabled to Xbox IP

So UPnP always enabled on the R2, in most cases UPnP should be enough to get an open NAT without using the DMZ. Traffic Prioritization isn't to do with NAT

Ok got it. I’ll enable UPNP on the R2 then. Thanks Fraser.

Does having the Xbox One in DMZ on R2 replace any need for TP or PF?

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Ok got it. I’ll enable UPNP on the R2 then. Thanks Fraser.

Does having the Xbox One in DMZ on R2 replace any need for TP or PF?

No port forwarding needed when the DMZ is used. You can still use TP to ensure gaming is prioritized over all other traffic so would recommend using it for the best connection

46 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No port forwarding needed when the DMZ is used. You can still use TP to ensure gaming is prioritized over all other traffic so would recommend using it for the best connection

Ok...so I think all I need to do is enable UPNP on the R2:

ISP: UPNP disabled/DMZ R2 IP

R2: UPNP enabled/DMZ Xbox IP

I’m yet to find any TP or QOS settings that actually make any improvements. I don’t have any other devices in the house actively downloading (other than being powered on) so I don’t think TP is required. Also I’ve never seen any improvement in performance by throttling my download/upload in QoS or bandwidth allocation. As long as I have open NAT and good ping via Geo Filter then I think I’ll settle for that.