Why is my download/upload ratio so off using Classified Games??

Dyson350

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What platform are you playing on? Is it just one device that is gaming or several? Does it impact your game in anyway? 

Just the PS5, I feel like when playing Cold War I am a step behind most the time. Or I get the usual run around a corner then die once I'm behind it. Never really noticed connection issues until recently then I noticed this.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do give that a go and see if you notice an improvement, I have told the team to have a look at classified games, it's working though which is good, just may not be doing it as efficiently.

Its still doing the exact same thing. What is up with this router????

Capture.JPG

When you're in game and you look at the server you're connected to in dumaos, is your send rate higher than receive rate? Maybe the PS5 sends more packets then downloads while gaming.

I remember this happening to someone else as well on PS4, the difference between us was they were using voice chat but I wasn't.

6 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

When you're in game and you look at the server you're connected to in dumaos, is your send rate higher than receive rate? Maybe the PS5 sends more packets then downloads while gaming.

I remember this happening to someone else as well on PS4, the difference between us was they were using voice chat but I wasn't.

This didn't happen when I played on PS4. I don't use voice chat but there is voice audio going through the controller. No difference from when voice audio would go through the TV with PS4 though.  Send rate is also lower than receive rate while in game.

I personally have always mentioned this.. Ones receive rate should be higher.. which means one should also see more download packets prioritized.. If your upload runs away with more prioritized upload packets then imo there is something wrong.. Every game ive always played my receive rate runs around 580-680 kbps while my upload rate is around 240 kbps.. give or take a bit on either receive rate and send rate.. But those are roughly the numbers for myself..

In my case when im in the Geo and watch our send and receive rates when playing a multiplayer game those numbers above ive mentioned are what I usually see.. These do very a bit on the game type of course and what it is your playing.. One has to remember that our download prioritized packets are just as important as our upload.. If one or the other is not working correctly then that imo would of course make the game play out of sync or as others mentioned getting shot around corners or shot first dies first.

My understanding or how I came up with this makes sense to me.. Heres what my reasoning is.. It would make totally sense that our receive rate is more when playing a multiplayer game because we are downloading everyone elses movements and placements and action in a game where our send rate is specifically only sending our actions and placement in a game.. So that is how I personally look at this..

Now the part that doesnt make any sense to me is this.. Lets say im playing a multiplayer game.. My receive rate is running around 620 kbps.. my send rate is 220 kbps.. These are the numbers my Geo represents or shows while playing a game.. The question now becomes why are my download packets not fully being counted or prioritized? Clearly if we are receiving more data then our download prioritized packets should be higher.. Not only should they be higher but they in all honesty should out number the prioritized upload packets.. But yet they are not.. So the question is what is going on there.. There is definitely something to this.. But the question is where or what is the issue? 

Anyways thats my story and im sticking to it! :P 

Zippy.

8 minutes ago, Zippy said:

I personally have always mentioned this.. Ones receive rate should be higher.. which means one should also see more download packets prioritized.. If your upload runs away with more prioritized upload packets then imo there is something wrong.. Every game ive always played my receive rate runs around 580-680 kbps while my upload rate is around 240 kbps.. give or take a bit on either receive rate and send rate.. But those are roughly the numbers for myself..

In my case when im in the Geo and watch our send and receive rates when playing a multiplayer game those numbers above ive mentioned are what I usually see.. These do very a bit on the game type of course and what it is your playing.. One has to remember that our download prioritized packets are just as important as our upload.. If one or the other is not working correctly then that imo would of course make the game play out of sync or as others mentioned getting shot around corners or shot first dies first.

My understanding or how I came up with this makes sense to me.. Heres what my reasoning is.. It would make totally sense that our receive rate is more when playing a multiplayer game because we are downloading everyone elses movements and placements and action in a game where our send rate is specifically only sending our actions and placement in a game.. So that is how I personally look at this..

Now the part that doesnt make any sense to me is this.. Lets say im playing a multiplayer game.. My receive rate is running around 620 kbps.. my send rate is 220 kbps.. These are the numbers my Geo represents or shows while playing a game.. The question now becomes why are my download packets not fully being counted or prioritized? Clearly if we are receiving more data then our download prioritized packets should be higher.. Not only should they be higher but they in all honesty should out number the prioritized upload packets.. But yet they are not.. So the question is what is going on there.. There is definitely something to this.. But the question is where or what is the issue? 

Anyways thats my story and im sticking to it! :P 

Zippy.

Something is wrong and I have no idea what it is, look in my other thread if you want to see the rest of my issues. DMZ for opening my NAT is slowing down my connection along with this horrible down/up ratio.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've got a ticket open for the issue so the developers will have a look and see what is happening.

Awesome Fraser! Good job! I know we have talked about this before.. But by looking at the Ops screenshot alone at the very least one would think both upload and download packets that are being prioritized should be much closer to each other.. But clearly in his case they are not.. Ive experienced this as well as you already know.. But ive also experienced the good side of this as well.. And when things are working well I always noticed my download prioritized packets are more then my upload prioritized ones.. Which is very interesting.. The one thing im not certain about though is why is this happening or what is the cause? At first glance one would think its an issue with QoS or the TP feature.. But im not sure its that though.. Because why would it work then all of a sudden not?  

Thanks again Fraser!

Zippy.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Awesome Fraser! Good job! I know we have talked about this before.. But by looking at the Ops screenshot alone at the very least one would think both upload and download packets that are being prioritized should be much closer to each other.. But clearly in his case they are not.. Ive experienced this as well as you already know.. But ive also experienced the good side of this as well.. And when things are working well I always noticed my download prioritized packets are more then my upload prioritized ones.. Which is very interesting.. The one thing im not certain about though is why is this happening or what is the cause? At first glance one would think its an issue with QoS or the TP feature.. But im not sure its that though.. Because why would it work then all of a sudden not?  

Thanks again Fraser!

Zippy.

We've really started to see it happen with the next gen consoles so it might be they are using ports that are not covered by the standard ranges that's why we'll really get to know what the issue could be once we capture traffic and see if there is anything being used that we're not capturing.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We've really started to see it happen with the next gen consoles so it might be they are using ports that are not covered by the standard ranges that's why we'll really get to know what the issue could be once we capture traffic and see if there is anything being used that we're not capturing.

Excellent! I agree it might be the norm is no longer the norm and something has changed in that regard.. One interesting thing to note that is kind of related to this is how IPV6 works.. It doesnt use a NAT type situation. And really if one has a native IPV6 address that is setup correctly port to port exchange will be different then IPV4.. And will be directly client to host connection.. Which will help. But with that said we will also start seeing a much wider range of ports being used at a time.. And I think this also is why we see Xbox always saying to get better performance enable IPV6.. Im sure PS is no different.. But what makes me wonder is what happens when we have both IPV4 and IPV6 enabled.. Is there a possible conflict.. Is some traffic being picked up from IPv4 and some from IPV6? That could maybe cause a conflict with TP or QoS for that matter.. Thats a guess of course.. But I can clearly say when I enable my IPv6 my gaming is better.. But also my TP doesnt work correctly either and then I just disable TP.. The new gen consoles are adding to this as ive seen alot of new updates on both the older and new consoles as they dial them in so to speak.. Some of those updates have given a new network look as well..

Thanks Fraser!

Zippy.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Zippy said:

Excellent! I agree it might be the norm is no longer the norm and something has changed in that regard.. One interesting thing to note that is kind of related to this is how IPV6 works.. It doesnt use a NAT type situation. And really if one has a native IPV6 address that is setup correctly port to port exchange will be different then IPV4.. And will be directly client to host connection.. Which will help. But with that said we will also start seeing a much wider range of ports being used at a time.. And I think this also is why we see Xbox always saying to get better performance enable IPV6.. Im sure PS is no different.. But what makes me wonder is what happens when we have both IPV4 and IPV6 enabled.. Is there a possible conflict.. Is some traffic being picked up from IPv4 and some from IPV6? That could maybe cause a conflict with TP or QoS for that matter.. Thats a guess of course.. But I can clearly say when I enable my IPv6 my gaming is better.. But also my TP doesnt work correctly either and then I just disable TP.. The new gen consoles are adding to this as ive seen alot of new updates on both the older and new consoles as they dial them in so to speak.. Some of those updates have given a new network look as well..

Thanks Fraser!

Zippy.

I don't think that would cause a conflict, as we can use 6to4 tunnelling to encapsulate an IPv6 packet within IPv4 for example. Definitely needs some testing, just concerned by the lack of stock for these consoles in the UK which makes it harder for us to get our hands on and test but I'm sure we'll get one soon enough.

Would anyone here recommend enabling g ipv6 for ps5? It does appear in the networks settings I am just scared to enable it. And it’s great duma is looking into the packet issue. My guess is, next gen uses different ports or ports concurrently 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Deprave said:

So for traffic prioritization. I play in Xbox series x. What’s the best mode I should choose? I’ve been picking “games console” ?

Games Console will work but may prioritize upload more than download, see what it does for you. Otherwise try ports instead.

• 10 months later...