HIgh Pings Cold War

Throne

Guys I got everything setup properly with my XR1000 congestion control, NAT OPEN, everything, however I cant connect to any server on Cold War of ping of 60-70ms or less. Should I just chalk it up to distance lag for CW?

Pingheatmap has the best server at 27ms and I think I have yet connected to it.

Im going to hop on Modern Warfare and see how those servers are and see what I can connect to.

Any suggestions? 70 ms ping time is tough to play on.

By the way I have A+ connection in the connection benchmark and DSL reports. Also congestion control is kicking in when I play so Im good there.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

How have you got your Geo-filter enabled?

If you're local to a 27ms server, you can just set a radius around your location and you should be good to go?

Alternatively, set ping assist to around 30-35ms and see if you're able to get a game.

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

How have you got your Geo-filter enabled?

If you're local to a 27ms server, you can just set a radius around your location and you should be good to go?

Alternatively, set ping assist to around 30-35ms and see if you're able to get a game.

Thanks Liam for responding, yes I have Geo filter enabled and it seems to be working fine. I'm finding games, it just the ping times are all 60-70ms from my location, which I am located in Mississippi.

Just to give you an idea the server that reports 24ms its quite if bit a ways away from me(Im located where the purple dot is). I am convinced that the way COD server connection work is I will connect to a player, it then connects me to a server within my geo filter however the ping times are still bad.

Speaking of the 26ms server, I have strange feeling about that server. I'm not able to pull any info on the internet about where this server physically sits.image.thumb.png.f13660235e7b33978476bfae4eeb5874.png

image.png.43b413162ed4401e6d90ca89124b7d06.png

No problem,

Generally speaking the server locations in Geo-filter/ping assist are pretty accurate, however it's possible that in this scenario we've got a mis-located server

If you set you put this server in your radius, are you able to connect to it? Similarly, if you set a ping assist?

It is also possible that this is just an authentication server if you are unable to connect to it.

6 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

No problem,

Generally speaking the server locations in Geo-filter/ping assist are pretty accurate, however it's possible that in this scenario we've got a mis-located server

If you set you put this server in your radius, are you able to connect to it? Similarly, if you set a ping assist?

It is also possible that this is just an authentication server if you are unable to connect to it.

I honestly dont think I have ever connected to it according to my "Allow and Deny" list. Because Im literally allowing and deny everything I connect to and I would say 95% reports back "peers" instead of "dedicated". I think honestly Im hit with distance lag on CW servers because of my location. I need to test this with other games that have servers closer to me to prove that though.

11 hours ago, Throne said:

I honestly dont think I have ever connected to it according to my "Allow and Deny" list. Because Im literally allowing and deny everything I connect to and I would say 95% reports back "peers" instead of "dedicated". I think honestly Im hit with distance lag on CW servers because of my location. I need to test this with other games that have servers closer to me to prove that though.

That's entirely possible, unfortunately!

Have you tried forcing a connection to it by making it the only server within your radius/polygon?

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Throne said:

So did Actvision make the fix or was there something you guys had to do to even get them to show again?

That's something we updated on our side, we have to do it quite frequently as CoD servers don't respond to traditional pings anymore. 

1 minute ago, Swgohlegend said:

In game get mostly 30ms but I get peer to peer also. I feel the game play plays worse then it indicates on my ping. 

I never got a game with 30ms the best I have gotten is 60ms and that with the supposedly 26ms server out there somewhere. Its either something wrong with the metrics on the heat map or the servers that reported on there are not COD servers. I have never been able to to connect to the 26ms server  even having hard time finding where that ip physically resides in the world. Google is not giving me much!!! 

1 minute ago, Throne said:

I never got a game with 30ms the best I have gotten is 60ms and that with the supposedly 26ms server out there somewhere. Its either something wrong with the metrics on the heat map or the servers that reported on there are not COD servers. I have never been able to to connect to the 26ms server  even having hard time finding where that ip physically resides in the world. Google is not giving me much!!! 

Something isn’t working properly 

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

Thanks for letting us know about this, we map the locations of the servers using the IP to our IP database, sometimes these are wrong. I'll be pushing a cloud update for this soon. However, i am only able to go by ping times from our office here in the UK, so if any of them are wrong, post a screenshot of the ping heatmap here and i'll try and sort them!

Edit: Should be fixed now. Let me know if any seem out of place.

Lowping is disadvantageous. You want lag compensation on your side. 

No packetloss and 100ms connection will enable lag comp for you over the vast majority of players you encounter. 

I'd say the avg is 60 to 76 ms, thus why anything lower puts you at a disadvantage. Remember no packet loss though 

20 minutes ago, oRaGaMi said:

No packetloss and 100ms connection will enable lag comp for you over the vast majority of players you encounter. 

I'd say the avg is 60 to 76 ms, thus why anything lower puts you at a disadvantage. Remember no packet loss though 

I’ll give it a shot but I tried playing in Europe servers and didn’t have much of a advantage. Where did you find your resources? 

1 hour ago, oRaGaMi said:

I agree you dont want packet lost but if ping times are high that still represent what type of connection you will have to the server and what the experience will be ingame. As matter, I finally was able to connect to 40-50ms server last night and to me it like night and day between 70 or 80 server. The "hit detection" is real thing in terms of ping and I saw it first hand last night with 40 and 50 kill games.

Lower ping is must, along with no packet loss.

• 2 months later...

Could you point me towards that topic you speak of? I’d like to give it a read. 

Also, some of the worst servers I’ve played on have been ones marked as “dedicated” with a ping of 18ms. I really wish we’d get the option to set a minimum ping.....

Edited by Kfetish
Added context

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Kfetish said:

Could you point me towards that topic you speak of? I’d like to give it a read. 

Also, some of the worst servers I’ve played on have been ones marked as “dedicated” with a ping of 18ms. I really wish we’d get the option to set a minimum ping.....

The ones marked as a peer are actually servers as well, they are just misclassified. It would be incredibly hard to do that because the nature of ping is that it fluctuates. This is why sometimes Ping Assist will get a game over the ping limit as it will have pinged under the limit and then been allowed but then the ping has risen

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The ones marked as a peer are actually servers as well, they are just misclassified. It would be incredibly hard to do that because the nature of ping is that it fluctuates. This is why sometimes Ping Assist will get a game over the ping limit as it will have pinged under the limit and then been allowed but then the ping has risen

This misclassification make sense as to why Ping assist doesn't work at all for COD then. I figured this was the problem.