Using High Gain Antennas on R2

not probably the best idea without consulting Netduma  What were the original specs. You could end up with anything.

if you had an issue I think you are on rocky grounds for warranty. 

I personally wouldnt think that would void one warranty.. That is if they just screwed into the original sockets on the router.. But it would never hurt to see what Netduma says of course.. My question is do you notice a difference in using them?

Thanks!

Zippy.

@RedBull2k my antennas are a bit like yours as well.. I wouldnt recommend moving them much.. It wont take long for them to get the droopies!! 

I do have an extra set of antennas from a ASUS router I beta tested. for some reason when they sent me that router it had two sets in the box.. So I may end up using them.

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
41 minutes ago, RedBull2k said:

I think the antennas that I got are shite, bit of brewers droop! Lets hope they are not the same for everyone.

Luckily all mine are tight. Maybe different batches?

Haven't powered it on yet though....  I did notice right out the box the connectors were not very tight.   I know they don't thread locker or anything, but I would expect that the connector would not just come loose without using a tool.  Anyone from Netduma around to comment on this?

I also used a 8mm socket and ever so carefully tighten the antenna sockets as well.. One has to be very careful not to over tighten them though.. I could easily see one cracking the plastic or even breaking the socket away from the pc board inside if the antenna sockets are fastened to the pc board directly..  So caution should be used. Its something id almost even ask Netduma about before doing so.. 

There seems to be two points that can be a problem. One is the lose sockets and the other is the antennas themselves at the joint where they swivel or pivot..

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Alex If you guys are flashing these routers yourselves you guys might want to check to make sure the antenna sockets are also tight. If my memory servers me correct a 8mm socket is the size needed to make sure the nuts are tight on each of the 4 antenna sockets. Wouldnt hurt to double check them before shipping..

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators

To answer the OPs question, as long as the weight of those beastly antennae don't break the router then simply replacing the default antennae isn't in breach of warranty as long as you're still able to connect them back on if needed.

Regarding the antennae being loose or getting the 'droopies' I will talk to the team about this, if an 8mm socket is all it takes then that's great and thank you for the suggestion.

Guest Killhippie
11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

To answer the OPs question, as long as the weight of those beastly antennae don't break the router then simply replacing the default antennae isn't in breach of warranty as long as you're still able to connect them back on if needed.

Regarding the antennae being loose or getting the 'droopies' I will talk to the team about this, if an 8mm socket is all it takes then that's great and thank you for the suggestion.

The 8mm socket tightens the gold nut on the antenna screw connections on the router, the droopies are well droopie. Not sure if the antenna can be tightened as there isn't a way to actually do that its held tight by friction fit, Fraser.

2 hours ago, Killhippie said:

The 8mm socket tightens the gold nut on the antenna screw connections on the router, the droopies are well droopie. Not sure if the antenna can be tightened as there isn't a way to actually do that its held tight by friction fit, Fraser.

Exactly Killhippie! Well explained! :)  The nuts are indeed the gold ones I am speaking of. And the antennas are friction fit. So nothing you can do there to tighten them. 

I think most of the issues some are having are likely with the gold nuts possibly being lose and not so much with the antennas themselves..

Thanks!

Zippy.

With my recent tests this morning these helped out a great deal with range.  I did slightly tighten all the connectors on the router before attaching the high gain antennas.  However, I am still not happy with the overall performance of the 5GHz.  Anyone else having issues with the 5GHz not getting the desired throughput?  I have tried several channels and all of them only get about 1/4 of what they should.

@Netduma Fraser

1 minute ago, Stephen A Vaught said:

With my recent tests this morning these helped out a great deal with range.  I did slightly tighten all the connectors on the router before attaching the high gain antennas.  However, I am still not happy with the overall performance of the 5GHz.  Anyone else having issues with the 5GHz not getting the desired throughput?  I have tried several channels and all of them only get about 1/4 of what they should.

@Netduma Fraser

I get 350 and at best 400mbps on 5ghz. Don’t forget the hi gain stuff will make the WiFi more directional so you end up with less coverage.

The problem is I was getting even less on 5GHz with the stock antennas.  I can hook up my XR500 on the same channel, in the same location, and I easily get 400-500.  Not sure why the R2 will not do the same.

2 minutes ago, Stephen A Vaught said:

The problem is I was getting even less on 5GHz with the stock antennas.  I can hook up my XR500 on the same channel, in the same location, and I easily get 400-500.  Not sure why the R2 will not do the same.

It’s different WiFi spec to start with. The 500 has better WiFi. I believe Fraser mentioned that the XR500 has more powerful WiFi  but The R2 will get faster updates and is optimised for DumaOS.

• Administrators

What are the actual WiFi speeds you're getting at the moment? We will have a tool within the next few days to help us with improving WiFi throughput. I think it will require a dev to tweak the power initially and then later we'll include the option in the UI.