Using High Gain Antennas on R2

2.4 seems to work better than the 5GHz in some cases.  Latency seems better on 2.4 even though it tops out around 50-60. I seen another user get the same results. 

5Ghz usually tops out at 90-120.  On my Mac Pro I am lucky to get 20 on 5, but I can get 50 switching to 2.4.  On iPhone I can about 100-120 on 5.  All tested at the same distance.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Stephen A Vaught said:

2.4 seems to work better than the 5GHz in some cases.  Latency seems better on 2.4 even though it tops out around 50-60. I seen another user get the same results. 

5Ghz usually tops out at 90-120.  On my Mac Pro I am lucky to get 20 on 5, but I can get 50 switching to 2.4.  On iPhone I can about 100-120 on 5.  All tested at the same distance.

Hopefully we'll be able to speed this up for you within the next few days.

10 hours ago, Stephen A Vaught said:

With my recent tests this morning these helped out a great deal with range.  I did slightly tighten all the connectors on the router before attaching the high gain antennas.  However, I am still not happy with the overall performance of the 5GHz.  Anyone else having issues with the 5GHz not getting the desired throughput?  I have tried several channels and all of them only get about 1/4 of what they should.

@Netduma Fraser

Yes, using wifi sweetspots sitting at my desktop in the next room 5 metres away from the router it shows around 20-30Mbps max with it fluctuating into single digits. My old Asus router shows constant 100Mbps+ from the same spot.

Running speedtest.net - R2 gives inconsistent speeds over 5GHz wifi - results anywhere from 60-80Mbps but the connection benchmark within the router maxes out my connection which doesn't make sense. Asus maxes the speedtest/my connection out instantly 108Mbps every single test. I'm guessing they should both be selecting the same server to test, if not I'm not sure why the R2 selects something where it NEVER maxes out my connection. One hing i noticed with the R2 as well when i hit the go on speedtest.net it takes a little while for the test to even begin.

Downloads with the R2 I was getting around 4MB/s max where with the Asus I max out at 11MB/s every single time.

Hopefully the new tweaks will make this more reliable/consistent cause atm it's in a unacceptable state. It was advertised to cover a large home but the wifi can barely penetrate a thin wall 5 metres away..

11 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

Yes, using wifi sweetspots sitting at my desktop in the next room 5 metres away from the router it shows around 20-30Mbps max with it fluctuating into single digits. My old Asus router shows constant 100Mbps+ from the same spot.

Running speedtest.net - R2 gives inconsistent speeds over 5GHz wifi - results anywhere from 60-80Mbps but the connection benchmark within the router maxes out my connection which doesn't make sense. Asus maxes the speedtest/my connection out instantly 108Mbps every single test. I'm guessing they should both be selecting the same server to test, if not I'm not sure why the R2 selects something where it NEVER maxes out my connection. One hing i noticed with the R2 as well when i hit the go on speedtest.net it takes a little while for the test to even begin.

Downloads with the R2 I was getting around 4MB/s max where with the Asus I max out at 11MB/s every single time.

Hopefully the new tweaks will make this more reliable/consistent cause atm it's in a unacceptable state. It was advertised to cover a large home but the wifi can barely penetrate a thin wall 5 metres away..

It’s always hard to judge a large house. Is it 7000 feet squared or 1500 feet squared. So many variables involved. I can say on 5ghz I’m getting 350 to a max of around 400 depending on RFI during the day. 

Let’s see what the fix brings and they are working hard to get this out for you. 

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What are the actual WiFi speeds you're getting at the moment? We will have a tool within the next few days to help us with improving WiFi throughput. I think it will require a dev to tweak the power initially and then later we'll include the option in the UI.

Yes please, Im having low throughput on my R2 5ghz from 350/24 MB  I'm only getting 280/22, and 2.4 ghz is even worse love the R2 but wifi is struggling. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, johnnytran said:

We're doing some tests with this firmware to see how well it performs on WiFi so we'll get it out as soon as possible. 

6 hours ago, josh200505 said:

Yes please, Im having low throughput on my R2 5ghz from 350/24 MB  I'm only getting 280/22, and 2.4 ghz is even worse love the R2 but wifi is struggling. 

That's not too bad, 2.4GHz would be worse, thats to be expected. What do you get on 5GHz right next to the router and how far away do you get the 280?